Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Can the Partition be loaded to shoot accurately ?

I make em shoot accurately in 7mm and .257. You’ll do fine with them

A) Depends on what you call accurate. Their design is very difficult to manufacture with the kinds of tolerances that thin jacketed match bullets can be manufactured to.

B) You said antelope sized game. By all means use the Balistic Tips. There’s not much need to worry about high weight retention when using a 150gr bullet on antelope sized game unless you’re talking about some horrendous shot angles.

Edit: I missed “to elk”. Shoot the partitions on elk. If you want only one load, then stick to the partitions. No they’re not likely to shoot as accurately as the ABs. BUT, as long as both bullets(Partitions and Balistic Tips) are 150s, they’ll usually have pretty similar points of impact at 100yds. You’ll just need to hold or dial differently as you go down range, and even those differences won’t be huge until a good ways past 200yds.

Last edited:
I’ve killed deer, elk, bison, sheep, bear, moose, and antelope all with 160 grain partitions out of my 7 mag… they work

I can't remember who said it on here but they were right, 'if your rifle don't shoot a 180 Nosler Partition accurately with 56 grains of IMR4350 then the rifle don't shoot'
He was right, I used it in my 30-06, 2850fps, kills Elk really well!
Cheers
Richard

While the Partition is not a benchrest competition bullet, it is a fine hunting bullet that shoots about as well as most other hunting bullets. Good handloaders do not seem to have trouble getting very good results. Some guys have unreasonable expectations, some guys are impatient, some guys simply are not very good handloaders, and some guys believe everything they read on the internet and repeat it frequently. Of course there are rifle barrels that do not like certain bullets, and others that do, so experiences can be quite different.

Partitions are the base line everything else is judged on.

They're so solid it seems like a silly question, or a troll.
Really? It’s not a troll to ask about their accuracy. They have never been the benchmark for accuracy. They shoot good enough for most hunting situations. It’s their performance on impact that they set the bar on.

Can you get a 1" group. Sorry should have said that.
I've tried partitions two times in my life. Back in the early 70's I tried them in a 7mm mag and they went maybe 1 1/2", that from memory. may not be right. What I didn't like back then was it seemed the jacket always separated at the partition. When i had my 6.5x06 done I was setting it up around the 140gr Partition. That was in the 90's. Tried them and they shot much much better. Come opening of elk season all I had loaded up was 140's from a different company so used them. BTW, those bullet's and the partition shot to the same POA! I suspect the partition today is a more accurate bullet than the older one which I like but what hasn't changed is the price and that I don't like. Would be hard to suggest they should give great accuracy, though they did in my 6.5x06, they are a hunting bullet. Designed to hunt with, not match shoot. It would be hard to dis them to much, they have been extremely effective for one h*ll of a lot of people over the years.

I have found that partitions shoot more accurately just off the lands.
Something about that. I found with my old 7mm Rem Mag that to shoot best, I needed to seat the 160gr bullet's out farther. I like the bullet's seated to the base of the neck! So took that rifle and had the lands remover so a dummy cartridge I put together with the 160gr bullet seated to the base of the neck had the ogive just off of the lands. Something about it though was the rifle was an L61 Sako and the magazine was long enough to let me do it. Had a similar problem with a 6mm Rem and couldn't do it because the magazine was to short! That 6mm shot alright but not great! Since those days I always try to get the bullet at least to the base of the neck. Sometimes a lighter bullet will easily do that but the base is in front of the neck. Then I seat the bullet one cal depth and hope for the best. Don't go just off the lands if the bullets still miss's them as want to be sure the neck holds the bullet well.

Last edited:
I used to shoot 140 Grain Partitions out of my 7MM Rem Mag and they grouped around 1" at 100. I shot a bunch of deer with them and a couple of pronghorn. Worked great. One memorable performance was a head on shot into an adult mule deer buck's chest at around 150 yards. Bullet traveled through the whole body length and lodged against the femur on his hind leg. I'll post a pic if I can find the bullet. Edit: Just remembered. I shot a cow elk last year with a partition. Slightly behind the shoulder broadside. Elk went about 20 yards and tipped over.

Before switching to Barnes LRX and TTSX, for 20 years I loaded
130gr partitions for .270 Win with IMR4350 and 180 gr partition with IMR4381 for 300 H & H
and I was very happy with load development and accuracy.
Partitions & 4350 in .270 is usually very hard to beat, unless it’s something wrong with the gun or a nut lose behind the stock.

I've tried partitions two times in my life. Back in the early 70's I tried them in a 7mm mag and they went maybe 1 1/2", that from memory. may not be right. What I didn't like back then was it seemed the jacket always separated at the partition. When i had my 6.5x06 done I was setting it up around the 140gr Partition. That was in the 90's. Tried them and they shot much much better. Come opening of elk season all I had loaded up was 140's from a different company so used them. BTW, those bullet's and the partition shot to the same POA! I suspect the partition today is a more accurate bullet than the older one which I like but what hasn't changed is the price and that I don't like. Would be hard to suggest they should give great accuracy, though they did in my 6.5x06, they are a hunting bullet. Designed to hunt with, not match shoot. It would be hard to dis them to much, they have been extremely effective for one h*ll of a lot of people over the years.
The last Partitions I shot were no more accurate than the old ones. Expect 1MOA-ish if everything else is right. I think it’s batch to batch, but some people report better accuracy, while most seem to report things in the 1MOA range. They’re accurate enough for big game by most people’s standards but just about every other bullet Nosler makes is more accurate.

They’re not a bonded bullet, and originally, the nose was low/no antimony soft lead that was intended to open easily and freely while the lead in the base was high antimony hard lead. It’s no surprise that the nose usually separated. It was supposed to expand and possibly fragment violently and reliably, even at low impact velocity. The partition in the bullet was never intended to make the whole bullet tough. Just the back half. It’s easy to build a tougher bullet. Just make the jacket thicker and close the nose more. Nosler was trying to get the best of both worlds when he invented the Partition bullet. Significant and reliable expansion WITHOUT so much disintegration that penetration ceased. While it’s sort of a cop out, it’s also sort of accurate and a little bit wise when he used to answer people who complained of a failure with the line “at what point in the animal’s death did the bullet fail?”

Back