Can the Partition be loaded to shoot accurately ?

The last Partitions I shot were no more accurate than the old ones. Expect 1MOA-ish if everything else is right. I think it’s batch to batch, but some people report better accuracy, while most seem to report things in the 1MOA range. They’re accurate enough for big game by most people’s standards but just about every other bullet Nosler makes is more accurate.

They’re not a bonded bullet, and originally, the nose was low/no antimony soft lead that was intended to open easily and freely while the lead in the base was high antimony hard lead. It’s no surprise that the nose usually separated. It was supposed to expand and possibly fragment violently and reliably, even at low impact velocity. The partition in the bullet was never intended to make the whole bullet tough. Just the back half. It’s easy to build a tougher bullet. Just make the jacket thicker and close the nose more. Nosler was trying to get the best of both worlds when he invented the Partition bullet. Significant and reliable expansion WITHOUT so much disintegration that penetration ceased. While it’s sort of a cop out, it’s also sort of accurate and a little bit wise when he used to answer people who complained of a failure with the line “at what point in the animal’s death did the bullet fail?”
From 30 years ago
InteriorGriz.JPG

I'm loading the 25 caliber, 120gr Partitions at 0.020" off the lands in my 257 Roberts AI.
With a charge of RL19, they've been no more than 1 MOA out to 300 yards.

I did get them on sale at Shooters Pro Shop and a few bullets had bent tips.
I just used those for fire forming from standard 257 Roberts.

It looks like it was accurate enough to hit your target. It expanded significantly, and the back half held up.

My dad has a few Partitions in a drawer that he killed deer with. The front portions fragmented into multiple pieces and the rear portions remained intact. They essentially did just what they were supposed to do. The difference between one with a front portion remaining intact and one with a front portion fragmenting likely has to do with A) round nose vs semi-spitzer, and B) impact velocity. My dad was shooting semi-spitzers from a 6mm Durham. Often the rear portion would exit, but he caught a few.

Last edited:
I'm loading the 25 caliber, 120gr Partitions at 0.020" off the lands in my 257 Roberts AI.
With a charge of RL19, they've been no more than 1 MOA out to 300 yards.

I did get them on sale at Shooters Pro Shop and a few bullets had bent tips.
I just used those for fire forming from standard 257 Roberts.

Yep.

30-06
55.0 of IMR 4350
Federal Nickle Brass
Fed 210M primer
180gr Nosler P
The Part is designed to shed back to the partition.

56.0 with 165 Sierra BT

If you look at the Nosler manual, it will tell you what load was the most accurate, at least in the test barrel. YMMV.
Because of the changes in hunting, I doubt any bullet will ever kill as many animals as Partitions have.

7mm RM
160gr part
IMR 4350 @ 61.0
H4831 @ 65.0
Fed 215
FC Brass
I consider the 160gr the best all around bullet for the 7mm Rem Mag for hunting especially Elk.

When I had my 6.5x06 built I was going to set it up for 160gr Nosler partitions. Didn't care for them when I was younger, the seemed to always lose the jacket at the partition. Read they had changed so decided to try them. Well broke in the rifle with 140gr Hornady spire points and boy did it shoot great. Finally figured it was broke in enough, only rifle I ever broke in! Switched over to partitions and they shot to the same POI and same small groups. Thing was giving me right at 3/4" at 100yds. Those used in the past were in a 7mm mag and didn't do anywhere near that good but would have been alright for hunting. One huge reason I've avoided them all these years is cost, they are expensive and don't kill anything any deader! I think if ou want to try them, go for it. Choosing a bullet is a personnal thing or we'd all be shooting the same one!

Last edited:
If you look at the Nosler manual, it will tell you what load was the most accurate, at least in the test barrel. YMMV.
Because of the changes in hunting, I doubt any bullet will ever kill as many animals as Partitions have.
I suspect it will take Noisler a bit longer to catch up with core locks and silver tips!

Yes, they are good at killing stuff but watch out for lead in the meat. I recovered three 30-06 slugs from African game and they all looked the same - all lead above the partition was gone. They made a mess. I also shot a Cape buffalo with 250 gr 375 H&H Barnes bullet and it lost less than four grains weight. Penetrated through thick overlapping ribs and both lungs, lodging in the ribcage inside opposite shoulder. If I'd been shooting hand grenade Partitions, I probably would have come home as a garbage bag full of mush. Anyway, I can only imagine what will happen to a magnum powered Partition bullet after it slams into an animal, especially at 100 yards or less. Splat! I bet you could hear the slug hit even wearing hearing protection. You have to weigh bang-flop against meat thrown in the trash.

I have loaded A LOT of different bullets in A LOT of different chamberings and have never gotten Partitions to consistently shoot as good as Barnes, Nosler BT's, Nosler Accubonds, Sierra's, or Hornadys. I think the way they are designed (and maybe manufactured) makes them less accurate than the others.

Back in the late 60's and early 70's I tried partitions and didn't get them to shoot well at all. But when I had ny 6.5x06 put togethet I wanted to try them again and had the rifle chambered to seat 140gr bullet's to the base of the neck. Broke the rifle in with 140gr Hornadys and they shot great in it. Then tried the partitions and to my suprise they shot to the same point of impact with the same small groups! Only thing that would keep me from using them now is the cost of them now. I am not convinced paying twice as much for a bullet makes it any better, just different!

The flat based Hornady SP interlock are a good bullet on game. Suggest if your rifle likes them as many do stay with them. Unless your after dangerous or heavy game their is no need for a partition .

Couldn't get 125's to shoot out of my 6.5-300 or 120's out of my 257 Wby
No luck with 180's out of my 300WM
150's and 160's out of the 270 Win are stellar though
170's out of a Marlin 336 are really accurate for me.

Last edited:
I've have good luck with 180gr PT (Spitzer) in my 30-06. I started using them mid 70 and that when Nosler first manual came out. Few years ago drew 4th season cow tag and used my other 30-06 with 150gr ET.

If you are loving the Nosler Partition, but wanted a bonded bullet, the Swift A-Frame is what you seek. Built like the Partition, but is bonded.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back