Campsite privy

A shovel and plastic coffee can for the TP is about it. A little walk and full squat really helps to get things moving.

One if my pet peeves in the woods of Western Colorado is hunting groups that use a toilet seat and leave it there after there departure along with their unburied or partially buried piles of crap and tp. Take it with you or bury it deeply.

One if my pet peeves in the woods of Western Colorado is hunting groups that use a toilet seat and leave it there after there departure along with their unburied or partially buried piles of crap and tp. Take it with you or bury it deeply.
My son and I came up over a rise and found a guy about 1000y from his campsite leaning his back on a barbed wire fence. We quickly turned away to give him a little privacy. Later in the day we crossed through that area and my son took a snapshot of their "shitter" for comparison back at camp. We all agreed we preferred our approach. ;).

1608576313877.png

Dig a deep hole and make a seat out of downed logs. Just cut a notch out of 2 and put them side by side over the hole.
Bury your waste when done and roll the logs notch side down.

Disclaimer. This is for a camp that has been used for many years. Not a backcountry camp but not the easiest place to find. The Toilet is not in a close easily found area close to camp (120yrds from camp).

We came up with a method that keeps our camp from having any permanent structures, thus being easy to find. As mentioned earlier, a 3+ ft. hole that gets used year after year. RV toilet paper and RV toilet chemicals can make this setup last for years. Our current hole is on it's 4th year and going strong (6 grown men in camp yearly).

1)Get the hole dug. off-season scouting or camping trip.
2)Build a box "TOP" with a lid on it. the lid will get a roofing treatment (tar paper/shingles)
3)jig saw the toilet hole in the top (platform "underneath the lid").
4)build (4) removable 2x4 legs (bolt and nut attachment).
5)Will need a length of contractors tarp or similar to enclose the box once the legs are attached (don't forget a staple gun for camp)
6)Your favorite toilet seat and two wood screws to secure it.
7)shower building/toilet building optional

When the legs are removed from the platform it becomes the cover for the hole and is undetectable to others unless stumbled upon by accident thus does not get used at anytime by others during the off season (can't be used without the legs unless it's a squat and purge). Off season use as most of you know can fill a pit toilet up quickly, specially in a popular recreation area.

Post season fill the hole with several bottles of RV Chem, poor 10, 20, 30 or whatever water you have left over, pull the contractors plastic and pitch, pull the toilet seat (keep or pitch. toilet seats are cheap), pull the 4 legs and hardware for storage, close the top lid and it's ready for the following season. No need to haul chairs or buckets and the like every year (just the legs, toilet seat and a length of contractor tarp).

Typically when we come up and coyote hunt during spring we will bring 20 gal. of water and RV toilet chem and repeat the post season routine.

This is a very clean way of doing a pit toilet that leaves no trace when the hole is rendered not useful anymore. Cover/fill with dirt after years of use, transport the platform out of the area for recycle and build another. Nature takes care of the rest.

IMG_1049.jpeg

IMG_1805.jpegIMG_1808.jpegIMG_3275.jpegIMG_3276.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what we use in our remote camp. We use a folding handicap chair as mentioned. Dig a 3 ft hole and fill it in with each dump. 1608581610957.png

We got a little canvas wall outhouse from Davis Tent when we got our canvas wall tent and built a scrap 2x4 frame to mount a toilet seat over a home depot bucket - and then use the plastic bags they sell for portapotty use. It is one of the nicest hunting luxuries there is on a cold morning.

View attachment 167154

View attachment 167155
Bet you're one of those neat desk sickos....; )

We dig a hole and have a palstic toilet seat that has legs that flip out on bottom, i think cabelas has them. that for the family camp but i try to just dig a cat hole or flip a rock while out hunting. Whatever you choose, bury your sh*t, no surface shitters, no one wants to see/step/have dog get into your waste.

Deer camp had a plastic drum dug in so that about 18 inches was out of the ground and was there before we arrived. Pretty sketchy to use when snow is on the ground and was always worried that I would slip and pinch the important parts on the edge of that plastic barrel. I picked up a handicap toilet chair at a yard sale and put plywood and a regular toilet seat on it. Painted everything in brown camo and painted the toilet seat hunter orange so it could be found in the forest. Put said chair over the barrel and no more concerns.

I had a Cabela's sticker laying around and my wife put it on the toilet seat lid just for laughs. My Father-in-Law looked at the chair and asked, "how much did Cabela's charge you for that!?"

Now days I carry the luggable loo to deer camp. Don't use a fancy tent or anything. In fact the most peaceful scenic #2 taken was in front of the camper looking across the valley at the snow covered mountains back in November.

Man, you guys are giving me some great ideas! Got to run a tight ship at camp!

would work better if they would have come up with an internet version of "smell-o-vision" ;)

Last edited:
We have a big black Rubbermaid garbage can on the side of the outhouse with a heavy duty garbage bag liner. The little bucket bags are good for a number of uses - especially as we make the guys pee outside - and then they seal up and go into the garbage can. Whoever has room in the back of an open pickup bed at the end of the trip gets the task of taking out and disposing of it.
So you don't want to be the last guy to leave camp?

Have had a PETT toilet for a long time. Great for river trips as well where you have to pack it all out. I do get tired annoyed with all the TP around camps in NF.

Disclaimer. This is for a camp that has been used for many years. Not a backcountry camp but not the easiest place to find. The Toilet is not in a close easily found area close to camp (120yrds from camp).

We came up with a method that keeps our camp from having any permanent structures, thus being easy to find. As mentioned earlier, a 3+ ft. hole that gets used year after year. RV toilet paper and RV toilet chemicals can make this setup last for years. Our current hole is on it's 4th year and going strong (6 grown men in camp yearly).

1)Get the hole dug. off-season scouting or camping trip.
2)Build a box "TOP" with a lid on it. the lid will get a roofing treatment (tar paper/shingles)
3)jig saw the toilet hole in the top (platform "underneath the lid").
4)build (4) removable 2x4 legs (bolt and nut attachment).
5)Will need a length of contractors tarp or similar to enclose the box once the legs are attached (don't forget a staple gun for camp)
6)Your favorite toilet seat and two wood screws to secure it.
7)shower building/toilet building optional

When the legs are removed from the platform it becomes the cover for the hole and is undetectable to others unless stumbled upon by accident thus does not get used at anytime by others during the off season (can't be used without the legs unless it's a squat and purge). Off season use as most of you know can fill a pit toilet up quickly, specially in a popular recreation area.

Post season fill the hole with several bottles of RV Chem, poor 10, 20, 30 or whatever water you have left over, pull the contractors plastic and pitch, pull the toilet seat (keep or pitch. toilet seats are cheap), pull the 4 legs and hardware for storage, close the top lid and it's ready for the following season. No need to haul chairs or buckets and the like every year (just the legs, toilet seat and a length of contractor tarp).

Typically when we come up and coyote hunt during spring we will bring 20 gal. of water and RV toilet chem and repeat the post season routine.

This is a very clean way of doing a pit toilet that leaves no trace when the hole is rendered not useful anymore. Cover/fill with dirt after years of use, transport the platform out of the area for recycle and build another. Nature takes care of the rest.

View attachment 167165

View attachment 167159View attachment 167160View attachment 167161View attachment 167162
one suggestion, I noted the screw heads attaching the seat, we used to have a setup like that (unfortunately with 4 screw heads) and the first guy out in the am on a minus 5 degree day got nice little frosty dimples on his ass, we subsequently glued the seat to the frame. Otherwise OUTSTANDING!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back