Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Campsite privy

I find the nearest tree with a tree stand in it!
OR if back east a Muddy box blind... (y) 💥

Missed the chance for a great rhyme, "Luggable loo is my truck camping poo solution" LOL

We've used one a couple years now as well, lined with a bag to make disposal easier. Last year we even used some kitty little to keep everything a little tidier lol.

The bucket is pretty short, but I've found that the position sometimes helps things move along a little bit.
Sucks to be the little kitty.

Luggable Loo and Home Depot bucket lined with tall kitchen trash bags. Two fit in this setup along with a box/jug of kitty litter. His and hers or...at least you don’t have to look at the other guys crap. The kitty litter keeps things odorless.
This last Fall Montana hunt had 5 degree nights and ice crystals along with 20+ knots of wind at times.
It was amazing what a bit of shelter adds to the experience.
We were packing up when this was taken. Liners go into a contractor 33gal bag and dropped off in town (a couple of blocks of ice this year😂).
290439B5-3A46-4AFD-AE89-880EE65170F6.jpeg

We are normally in some kind of tree cover and hunt out of a pickup camper or tent. We find a decent downed log or make a setup out of available stuff, dig hole on back side, keep a shovel by a dirt pile, after every evacuation of the bowels sprinkle soil on fecal matter making sure tp is covered, wash rises repeat. When done with the campsite bury with soil and cover it up with sticks, wood, leafy vegetation if possible. None of us struggle with modesty peeing or growlers, so that helps. We also don't like excessive stuff and rarely camp in a site to long with the flexibility of a truck camper, so setting up shop in the same spot for more than 2-3 nights isn't our style. Feel bad for people who don't like or aren't comfortable taking care of paper work out in the open. One year hunting elk in Wyoming ran into some loggers from out east and actually ended up eating with them most nights back at their camp and hunted 2 days with them. It was only me and my 12 year old at the time. One in their group got a bull opening day and I got a cow. Swapping stories one night the inevitable pooping in the woods discussion got brought up. My kid thought is was hysterical that one of their relatives was an old logger and was more comfortable pooping in the woods. So much so he struggled going at home and would go out on his property to lay pipe vs in his own bathrooms. My long gone grandma preferred the farm outhouse to her new indoor plumbing she got just for us grandkids. Kinda took her lead as a kid and preferred to do it the way grandma did. Keep it simple or make it as complicated as you are comfortable with and have the resources to make that possible. The more anchored a person is to a spot and the amount of time that location is to be used is a huge factor as well. Fertilizer piles add up fast for bigger groups and most people really don't put enough time into keeping that in mind and keeping that stuff as neat, tiddy and cleaned up at the end of a stint in the outdoors. It's a much needed necessity that needs to be taken more seriously or it turns into a dumpster fire mess.

We are normally in some kind of tree cover and hunt out of a pickup camper or tent. We find a decent downed log or make a setup out of available stuff, dig hole on back side, keep a shovel by a dirt pile, after every evacuation of the bowels sprinkle soil on fecal matter making sure tp is covered, wash rises repeat. When done with the campsite bury with soil and cover it up with sticks, wood, leafy vegetation if possible. None of us struggle with modesty peeing or growlers, so that helps. We also don't like excessive stuff and rarely camp in a site to long with the flexibility of a truck camper, so setting up shop in the same spot for more than 2-3 nights isn't our style. Feel bad for people who don't like or aren't comfortable taking care of paper work out in the open. One year hunting elk in Wyoming ran into some loggers from out east and actually ended up eating with them most nights back at their camp and hunted 2 days with them. It was only me and my 12 year old at the time. One in their group got a bull opening day and I got a cow. Swapping stories one night the inevitable pooping in the woods discussion got brought up. My kid thought is was hysterical that one of their relatives was an old logger and was more comfortable pooping in the woods. So much so he struggled going at home and would go out on his property to lay pipe vs in his own bathrooms. My long gone grandma preferred the farm outhouse to her new indoor plumbing she got just for us grandkids. Kinda took her lead as a kid and preferred to do it the way grandma did. Keep it simple or make it as complicated as you are comfortable with and have the resources to make that possible. The more anchored a person is to a spot and the amount of time that location is to be used is a huge factor as well. Fertilizer piles add up fast for bigger groups and most people really don't put enough time into keeping that in mind and keeping that stuff as neat, tiddy and cleaned up at the end of a stint in the outdoors. It's a much needed necessity that needs to be taken more seriously or it turns into a dumpster fire mess.

I have dug many pits myself and have zero problem with them.
I’m hardly the bashful type and hear what you are saying. Though I would have enjoyed watching you dig at that campsite. We could barely sink the tent spikes with a 3# sledge.

One problem I have was demonstrated on an elk hunt in the Pike Natl forest outside Denver a couple years ago. The entire hillside behind our campsite was littered with TP from all the “holes” dug from other users over time. Maybe the ground was frozen and a guys got to go...or they just didn’t give a damn.
I think we have all been caught by surprise at one time or another but that wasn’t what was going on there.
*The lug a loo has a lid and can be used out in the open. Coupled with kitty litter it can be moved from site to site or the waste dumped is a hole and buried. Just a thought.

The wood stove is not an option with me.

Impressive work some of you all do to be comfortable.

To be honest this is one of the biggest things that get missed when hunting is staying regular. Those mountain house are notorious for stopping things up.

Next step is a stove for the chit tent, that's the good life right there.

Fishing with kids over the years I keep a 5 gallon pale with a toilet seat designed for it that snaps on the bucket and use a heavy duty bag with a deodorizer in the bag, along with extra bags and zip lock bags for wrapping up the goods in the boat. If in a pinch in the field, that's something we've used if the situation warrants it, but it's rare. Being from Minnesota taking care of stuff in the winter time can be problematic with a frost line already started in hunting seasons and digging. Most guys just go over a log in the woods and call it good while out hunting. Have always tried to get off even game trails and bury stuff with sticks, logs and snow as best as possible. Now we all know a camp is a whole other different bowl of chili when digging a hole isn't plausible. 5 gallon bucket set up works pretty decent especially with a good, tight fitting lid and bags. As long as there's not 10 guys with lots of daily paper work. Like the kitty litter idea. How the raw material is discarded is another chore. Good topic and wish more people actually cared even a little bit to spend some time thinking about it, especially in camp sites, off roads or well traveled main trails or access points.

Cut a hole in the bottom of a metal chair and screw on a toilet seat. Problem solved.

You can use in addition to Dave's plan too, lol
That's what we do. My butt is too big for one of those little bucket seats.

So this thread is related to truck camping, and not backpack hunting, but not sure where else to put the question. I'm a whitetail hunter by heart, and normally hunt the western Mtns of Maine and the White Mountains of New Hampshire. My brother and I usually do a week in Maine, and I've been renting the same remote camp for 10 year now, but it has been sold and we are considering hunting out of a wall tent now.

Even before the camp was sold we were thinking about the wall tent option, as we like to track bucks, so we end up driving long distances to hunt in snow. If you have ever hunted northern Maine, you know the deer are big bodied, but finding them is pretty tough, especially on bare ground. With a wall tent we can be mobile (sort of) and not worry about a 1.5 hour drive on shitting logging roads each day. So question for you western guys, what do you use for your outhouses while camped on BLM and USFS land?

Also, we did our first western elk hunt in 2019. We rented a small place just off USFS land in CO, and hunted the 3rd rifle for elk. We had a blast, and will use the wall tent next fall when we head back to CO, and on subsequent hunts in following years.

Thanks in advance,
We bring a five gallon bucket with a seat on top - called a port a loo or luggable loo or something. We also bring kitty litter and put a heavy duty trash bag inside; anything solid goes in the bucket with some litter.

I don't get it. Poop burned in a camp wood stove doesn't smell ... at all. I know because I burned a lot of it. But you fools who have never tried it know otherwise? Based on what? Urban legend? Instead, you prefer to hike out in sub zero weather and hang your bare bum over a smelly privy ... or worse, carry the disgusting crap home with you in a bag. Meanwhile I drop my load onto a Chinette paper plate in the warm comfort of my wall tent a few feet away from a hot stove. In it goes the instant bowels are finished moving. Then the toilet paper. The poo smell gets sucked into the stove draft and also consumed. Of course I always hunted alone so privacy was never an issue. Maybe the hunting partner could set in the truck for a few minutes and play a game on his phone while you're doing your business. You can work it out. As I said in my starter thread on this subject, just make sure you've also worked out your aim before going to camp. Practice in an area that's easily cleaned (bathroom floor ... with door locked ... while wife is at work). For taking a leak, an orange juice jug or milk carton work well. Dump outside in appropriate location when convenient. The jug seals up better.

Avoid Mexican food and this method works just fine. Very sanitary. No hassles. No frozen butt cheeks.

Last edited:
I don't get it. Poop burned in a camp wood stove doesn't smell ... at all. I know because I burned a lot of it. But you fools who have never tried it know otherwise? Based on what? Urban legend? Instead, you prefer to hike out in sub zero weather and hang your bare bum over a smelly privy ... or worse, carry the disgusting crap home with you in a bag. Meanwhile I drop my load onto a Chinette paper plate in the warm comfort of my wall tent a few feet away from a hot stove. In it goes the instant bowels are finished moving. Then the toilet paper. The poo smell gets sucked into the stove draft and also consumed. Of course I always hunted alone so privacy was never an issue. Maybe the hunting partner could set in the truck for a few minutes and play a game on his phone while you're doing your business. You can work it out. As I said in my starter thread on this subject, just make sure you've also worked out your aim before going to camp. Practice in an area that's easily cleaned (bathroom floor ... with door locked ... while wife is at work). For taking a leak, an orange juice jug or milk carton work well. Dump outside in appropriate location when convenient. The jug seals up better.

Avoid Mexican food and this method works just fine. Very sanitary. No hassles. No frozen butt cheeks.
I’m starting to think you’re not kidding...

I’m starting to think you’re not kidding...
Worked for me for years. No muss, no fuss, NO SMELL, no privy to dismantle, no frozen butt cheeks, no need to climb into clothes in the middle of the night and run outside. What's not to like? Unorthodox but it worked well. Don't be afraid to think outside the box. Of course there is some risk, especially for the uninitiated, as indicated above. This method worked for me but I have always been a trim and fit person. Someone carrying a large spare tire in front might find squatting over a paper plate a more difficult feat. Obviously good balance is important. I remember as a kid pinching a loaf in the trees alongside a creek when a flock of mallards landed in front. I carefully reached over, grabbed my 3" magnum Wingmaster and fired. There was no follow up shot! I left a lot of brown snow behind that day.

As disturbing as the visual is regarding your method and duck hunting experiences, the word are almost poetic. Haha.

Back