Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Campsite privy

Mainewoods

So this thread is related to truck camping, and not backpack hunting, but not sure where else to put the question. I'm a whitetail hunter by heart, and normally hunt the western Mtns of Maine and the White Mountains of New Hampshire. My brother and I usually do a week in Maine, and I've been renting the same remote camp for 10 year now, but it has been sold and we are considering hunting out of a wall tent now.

Even before the camp was sold we were thinking about the wall tent option, as we like to track bucks, so we end up driving long distances to hunt in snow. If you have ever hunted northern Maine, you know the deer are big bodied, but finding them is pretty tough, especially on bare ground. With a wall tent we can be mobile (sort of) and not worry about a 1.5 hour drive on shitting logging roads each day. So question for you western guys, what do you use for your outhouses while camped on BLM and USFS land?

Also, we did our first western elk hunt in 2019. We rented a small place just off USFS land in CO, and hunted the 3rd rifle for elk. We had a blast, and will use the wall tent next fall when we head back to CO, and on subsequent hunts in following years.

Thanks in advance,

We got a little canvas wall outhouse from Davis Tent when we got our canvas wall tent and built a scrap 2x4 frame to mount a toilet seat over a home depot bucket - and then use the plastic bags they sell for portapotty use. It is one of the nicest hunting luxuries there is on a cold morning.

1608571313802.png

1608571346797.png

We dig a hole as deep as possible, usually +-3 feet, have a plywood box with a toilet seat on top and have one of these .... https://www.davistent.com/product/the-royal-throne-shower-potty-tent/

Truth be told, other than in rain, I don't care for the whole tent/enclosure thing but some in camp are bashful.
The new ones appear to have a window upgrade - fancy. As for bashful - our hunting time include snow and sleet weather and we are usually a mixed gender camp - so a hit all around.

We got a little canvas wall outhouse from Davis Tent when we got our canvas wall tent and built a scrap 2x4 frame to mount a toilet seat over a home depot bucket - and then use the plastic bags they sell for portapotty use. It is one of the nicest hunting luxuries there is on a cold morning.

View attachment 167154

View attachment 167155
Nice set up! Are the bags biodegradable, or do they all do into a dumpster later on?

Nice set up! Are the bags biodegradable, or do they all do into a dumpster later on?
We have a big black Rubbermaid garbage can on the side of the outhouse with a heavy duty garbage bag liner. The little bucket bags are good for a number of uses - especially as we make the guys pee outside - and then they seal up and go into the garbage can. Whoever has room in the back of an open pickup bed at the end of the trip gets the task of taking out and disposing of it.

That will happen for sure. My concern is my lazy brother in the dark morning flipping rocks to close to camp, haha.
It's a good question having a system for around camp is a good idea, especially late season.

Seems like a decent option.

That was the mental starting point for our plan - but the bigger guys and the older guys hated trying to perch on the small footprint of the bucket - and so we overbuilt our apparatus to please everyone.

Since next fall in CO will be our first wall tent hunting adventure (unless I draw a Maine moose tag with my 16 points), and two of us are driving from the east coast, I just want to keep it simple, but be prepared. Thanks for all the info so far.

Luggable loo is my truck camping solution.
Missed the chance for a great rhyme, "Luggable loo is my truck camping poo solution" LOL

We've used one a couple years now as well, lined with a bag to make disposal easier. Last year we even used some kitty little to keep everything a little tidier lol.

The bucket is pretty short, but I've found that the position sometimes helps things move along a little bit.

Since next fall in CO will be our first wall tent hunting adventure (unless I draw a Maine moose tag with my 16 points), and two of us are driving from the east coast, I just want to keep it simple, but be prepared. Thanks for all the info so far.
That drive suuuuuuucks

We have one of those handicap toilet seats that sits over a toilet that we used for years and I still use at times. It folds up pretty compact for travel. Just dig a hole or drop a bucket under it.

Also have one of those little camp toilets that the wife and I use at night vs walking the hundred yards to the outhouse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back