Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Camping

Flatlander3

Does anyone camp in a camper for an antelope hunt? I only see forums talking about tent camping. I'm strictly talking about on blm or a designated campground not on private. Just wondering if hauling a camper 600 plus miles is a waste of fuel and worry of something else that could go wrong. It would be nice to have the comforts of home and being out of bad weather vs a tent.

My father-n-law uses a camper for antelope hunts. I think it’s a great way to do the hunt. You see tons of campers throughout the west during hunting season.

I always use my camper when Antelope hunting. It's nice to sit back turn on a football or baseball game and drink a beer while the pizza cooks in the oven.

Whether I have a spike camp or pack in for a few days I always lug the TT along. It's nice to know you can pack in for a few days, hunt hard then come back out and recharge your body and mind with a shower and good meal. My typical Elk Archery season every year for the past 15 or so years has been set up in this fashion. I personally find that no matter the hunt (hunt out of camp, road hunt, pack in, or have a spike camp already setup) at this stage of my life I typically will spend no more than 3 days in the field at a time before I need a good beer, meal and a hot shower. No shame in having the camper. Two thumbs up for the camper sir!

Last year was my first antelope hunt, but I decided to make it a family outing. My wife, three year old, and I camped in our small enclosed trailer. Worked great and had a blast. Looking to upgrade to an actual camper this year. Why not when you're in that environment? I love backpack hunting, but this camper thing has broadened my horizons.

Popup camper on BLM for me. Seems to work great until the wind kicks up.

We take the camper on hunting trips all the time. We have a generator and a solar panel to charge the batteries. Park it on BLM. Kinda spoils you.

Dou you all go to campgrounds or boondock it somewhere on blm?

I have spent a lifetime big game hunting. Pack in, campgrounds, "boondocks", basecamp tenting, Campers/TT's, you name it. I use to hunt (as most people) in the same area every year but as I got older, technology and scouting got easier and hunting different areas I realized is not "scary" (scary in the sense that you don't know the area). Planning a hunt starts with E-scouting. Setting that hunt up (where to camp, how to camp, hike in, base camp, spike camp, trailers, campers, ATV's, Tents) is very dependent on so many things. Accessibility to an area is the primary key that determines whether I pack in on foot, set up a spike camp, hunt directly out of basecamp with a TT or camper, use an ATV to get deep into an area or bounce from area to area for a day hunt. I personally am a big fan of a basecamp with a TT or camper IF possible for the reasons mentioned in my prior posting. My personal preference is to set up a basecamp with Camper/TT whether I pack into an area on foot, use a Spike camp, hunt direct out of basecamp, road hunt or bounce daily on an ATV or with a vehicle. Not everyone has the option OR TIME to scout on foot during the spring months but as I have gotten older and have the time I typically can spend several scouting trips in early season to an area to work out a plan, even out of state. I know this is not practical for everyone but if you can do it or have someone do it for you (hunting partner, friend or family member) it can really help.

My typical preference if I can get away with it is: TT (travel trailer) basecamp with a hike in or ATV spike camp deeper into a hunting area. Given the ability to be in the field for back to back seasons (deer and elk) this makes sense. Typically I will set up spike camp weeks ahead of time and use that camp to hunt an area that allows me to get away from the crowds. My preference is to spend 2-3 days in spike camp and every 3rd day or so back into basecamp for a solid meal, shower, and comfortable bed (does wonders for recharging the hunting batteries), then back out for another 2-3 days in spike camp. I personally have found this to be a very effective way of going through long back to back seasons here in Washington where I am in the field starting in late Aug through the month of Sept.

I have never hunted antelope but it sounds like a Basecamp with TT or camper and hunting directly out of it or road hunting with a vehicle or ATV sounds like the way to go. E-scout as much as you can using Google Earth, Basemap, On X or any other form you can get your hands on.

Access to the area/areas you plan to hunt should be your priority then go from there. Finding a camp spot is not difficult, knowing road conditions can be hit or miss sometimes but there are plenty of resources on-line, local wildlife resources, ATV clubs, 4x4 clubs, Forest Service that can give real time and very solid road information. Local wildlife biologists through the Fish and wildlife I have also found to be EXTREMELY helpful in knowing an area as well as giving you solid information on game you plan on hunting. Think outside the box such as contacting a local 4x4 club or ATV club for area info. You would be surprised at some of the detailed information you can coax out of these folks even if they are not hunters.

Yes, I love having the camper to come back to. I pull mine to a state park campground that even has electricity so I don't have to haul my generators. Love having a bed, shower and kitchen. We also process everything we kill in camp.

Really wish I had a camper for 'lope hunting. I usually tent it or sleep in the bed of my truck. Generally depends on the wind...

Really wish I had a camper for 'lope hunting. I usually tent it or sleep in the bed of my truck. Generally depends on the wind...
Good information everyone. It's intimidating to plan on camping on blm going in blind and most camp grounds are first come first serve

I personally have gotten to the point where I like to be comfortable when we go hunting. We haul our trailer at least 600 miles every time we go hunting and just factor in the extra time and fuel it takes.
Having someplace to eat, sleep and cook out of the elements is always nice. It's tough to cook outside in the wind and rain or snow if your tent is not big enough to do so inside. Having a comfortable bed to sleep in does wonders for your attitude in the morning. Here in NV our antelope season is in August and always hot, dry and dusty so having a shower is great. When it's especially hot during the middle of the day we run the gen and the a/c and can have a nap in cool comfort.
At least in my mind, if you're miserable during a hunt it just isn't worth it. I like to be comfortable and have fun.

At least in my mind, if you're miserable during a hunt it just isn't worth it. I like to be comfortable and have fun.

I’m in it for the type 2 fun... if there isn’t a decent amount of suck I’m kinda meh about the hunt. You really have to try and make pronghorn hunting a type 2 fun activity. Which is probably why everyone recommends it to new hunters.

Bought a Tent trailer and used it for a A Kiabab hunt.Best Camp ever.Took It camping to the lake and monsoon storm
blew one bed all the way thru the tent and totally destroyed it.I miss you tent trailer!:cool:

Does anyone camp in a camper for an antelope hunt? I only see forums talking about tent camping. I'm strictly talking about on blm or a designated campground not on private. Just wondering if hauling a camper 600 plus miles is a waste of fuel and worry of something else that could go wrong. It would be nice to have the comforts of home and being out of bad weather vs a tent.
A slide-in pickup camper has proven convenient on antelope hunts, as often the weather brings rain or snow in October. When my son was younger it was easier to keep him warm and dry.
We have a hard sided camper which we like travel in as it is really easy to pull off the road for lunch or a cup of coffee. The roof rack is handy for hauling bikes, canoes, and other equipment. In and around Yellowstone many campgrounds require a hard sided camper due to bear issues. BLM, USFS, and national park campgrounds are usually clean and not very expensive ... and, after qualifying for the gray-hair Golden Parks Pass, half-off.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back