Caribou Gear

Camp question

captaincoot

Hope I don't make you guys mad with the questions. When you guys say camp on a hunt (like bear and elk) How many hunters go and for how long? Do you all hunt together? Is it a tent or a lodge?

for me: usually solo or one other guy, always in tent when out west. that tent could be a tarp or 2man on mountain or a 12x12' basecamp tent with wood stove.

My Camp is a 14' x 16' Wall Tent, with propane heat, A Porta-Potti and a Shower.
I hunt Solo if I have too, but I prefer to have 1 hunting partner.
I also have a 10' x 14' addition for the front of my Tent, so I can actually accommodate 4 hunters easy.
But again I prefer to hunt with just 1, and we usually hunt the same general area.
I go out west every year Elk hunting for 2 weeks.

Kevin

I have hunted from tent camps and campers many times and usually with up to four people, if not solo. Now, my elk hunts consist of staying with family in Wyoming and doing day hunts. Lots easier on the body and the logisitcs.

I hunt on my own generally. Almost always in Idaho I am alone. In Alaska my wife prefers that I have a partner. On my own I may use a tarp, 6 mil plastic, my little 2 man or my bigger 2 man depending on my intent to be mobile or stationary as a rule.
With a partner I prefer a 4 man for us and a separate 2 man for food. When I camp with my wife it is usually a 12x 14 canvas wall tent with all the trimmings-I married a girly-girl. With my grand kids it is usually a couple of blankets on the living room floor. Never a camper, never. (yet)

Tents, campers, bunk houses, it doesn't matter as long as your hunting. It really just depends how far from the road you want to be? Or how comfortable you want to be?

I really like the fact that I am not camping out now, but there is nothing like a high-mountain,. comfortable camp in the fall. It is the best way to experience the whole picture.

GP small with 3-4 people, pot belly stove, dining fly and canvas potty shack. Usually have another rtent of friends with 2-4 folks nearby as well.

Back