Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Camp or Motel it???

No one has mentioned the critters that like to find warm places for the night. If you are going to camp it make sure you bring a cot. Makes for a real interesting morning when you wake up with an univited guest in your bag. Both warm blooded and cold.

No one has mentioned the critters that like to find warm places for the night. If you are going to camp it make sure you bring a cot. Makes for a real interesting morning when you wake up with an univited guest in your bag. Both warm blooded and cold.

New Mexico still takes the cake with those damn spiders that show up uninvited.

I have done both depending on the hunt. However, now that I have been taking my kids with me a little more I tend to do more camping as I feel that this gives the kids a better feel for the outdoors.

CABugle

My buddies wall tent has a "custom" escape door in it now, thanks to a skunk :eek:

The Speedgaot season open's in Aug/Sept and for the most part its nice & yes there can be some wind. But enjoy the outdoors while you still can. So weather its a trailer, tent, or motel the most important thing is that you go. Have fun, make memories, and take lots of pictures. Take care & God Bless.

We stayed in a hotel last year. 5 nights for 3 guys was just over $300.00. We got a room with a kitchen and it worked out great but we were only 1/2 hour from the unit we were hunting in. We'll do the same thing this year if we draw again.

We rented a little cabin in a campground this past year. $45.00 a night. Shower, laundry,grill, close to town, clost to hunt area! Buffalo..Area 16. Would do it again for sure!

Up to you. Personally, I coordinate my antelope hunt with a trip to a hot springs and live it up. In the areas I hunt I always see 100+ goats before noon. Tag my animal(s) and relax. I hunt hard for deer/elk and camp then (usually in brutal conditions). Do what you want! Weather will be 75° or snow.

. Make sure you have a way to cool down the meat right away. You'll thank yourself when it's time to eat it.

We hunted south central Wyoming pronghorns for the first time in 2010 and had a great time tent camping. The wind does howl out there! :eek: I would only camp if you have a sturdy dang tent!

Sure is nice to poke your head out of the tent and see critters.... :)

tenting

last year was my first, camped in campground & used elec heater in tent :) However didnt bring a cot, waether was 75-34 and rained about every day, winds of up to 40, campground was sheltered but up against railroad tracks = no sleep,,, This year is propane heater and cot, extra stakes and tie downs for the high points on the tent !! I saw a few low spots in the hunting areas that might be ok for a tent but a rake for the ground and a ground mat is a must. little generator for coffee pot and heating food is a must, fires are pretty much banned in Oct for good reason there. ( area 7, stayed in newcastle for 2nd week )

Camping is all part of the experience in my books. The guys I hunt with and I have a couple wall tents and it makes for quite the experience. However, when we only have a day or two and aren't really up for doing all the work of pitching a 14X18 wall tent, we stop in at the local Super 8. Either way you go the hunt is all that matters. Have fun and good luck!

I would prefer to camp, if the weather allows. It puts me closer to where I want to be. I would probably mix it up a bit and stay in a hotel some of the time.

Thanks for the responses guys. We ended up going the motel route last year which worked out well for us but will be camping when i hopefully go back this fall.

I will camp if I'm by myself, I'm cheap. I might motel it depending on whom I'm with. Some folks make camping more trouble than fun. When I do camp, it's pretty spartan especially since the weather's pretty mild then.

CampDiamondLake.jpg

I prefer to camp given the chance. It is cheaper and ads more of an adventure aspect. Although I do not judge those who stay in motels. I have also done that when I only go hunt somewhere for a night. Below are some pictures from a camp I had in Northern Wisconsin during deer season.
picture-2701.jpg

big-lake1.jpg

My buddies wall tent has a "custom" escape door in it now, thanks to a skunk :eek:

I was sleeping under the stars one night in northern AZ, and woke up with a skunk literally nose to nose with me. I just closed my eyes and played dead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back