Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Camera action while being outdoors enjoying the fresh air and adventure. Feel free to add yours too.

Where are you from? Where are you scouting (state or region)?

Southeastern Washington, Have seen 5 nice bucks in that area. Spotted some others off the Palouse river too. Found a nice 7 point non-typical whitetail shed. Crossing my fingers he survived the winter.

I'm jealous of your warbler variety.
Honestly, I feel we are lucky right near the shoreline of Lake Superior. It forms a boundary that buys us time while they are feeding heavily for the calories to make the flight across the lake. Last year I experienced a day that I lost count of the bird species I saw. I had no camera to capture the action. An example last year was a Scarlet Tanager, I had never seen one in my life, and that bird hung around for hours on a bright sunny day. Great photo conditions for birds. There were more warblers last year as well but you almost need a photo to properly identify them correctly. This year the camera has been riding along with me. The migration has been slower this year across the different species. And no Scarlet Tanager while I have the camera! The tree leaves have filled in quite a bit and the mosquitos are out in full force. I'm pretty sure the bird pictures are going to slow down from me. The leaves make it challenging and the mosquitos take the fun out of the time required to be near motionless to get the photos. Thanks for the recognition of the warbler variety coming through the area.

Reactions: Oak
I have been lucky enough to see some uncommon warblers migrating through CO when I lived on the Front Range, including Hooded Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, and Northern Parula.

As dumb as this sounds. I have a trophy that I am trying to photo in the UP. A Boreal Chickadee. A brown color cap vs the black cap on the Black-capped Chickadee. A rare bird for this area and a very subtle difference in appearance. I still have not confirmed seeing one and certainly haven't photographed one. Some serious non-meat eating hunting!

Reactions: Oak
Honestly, I feel we are lucky right near the shoreline of Lake Superior. It forms a boundary that buys us time while they are feeding heavily for the calories to make the flight across the lake. Last year I experienced a day that I lost count of the bird species I saw. I had no camera to capture the action. An example last year was a Scarlet Tanager, I had never seen one in my life, and that bird hung around for hours on a bright sunny day. Great photo conditions for birds. There were more warblers last year as well but you almost need a photo to properly identify them correctly. This year the camera has been riding along with me. The migration has been slower this year across the different species. And no Scarlet Tanager while I have the camera! The tree leaves have filled in quite a bit and the mosquitos are out in full force. I'm pretty sure the bird pictures are going to slow down from me. The leaves make it challenging and the mosquitos take the fun out of the time required to be near motionless to get the photos. Thanks for the recognition of the warbler variety coming through the area.
Our warbler migration was weak this year. Thanks for sharing the photos!

I am not an entomologist. If there is anybody out there that wants to add some educational color to these photos please do so. Butterflies, bees, and flies, is as deep as I can take us. Wildlife with no red meat! but are beneficial as pollinators to help sustain the plants needed for our hunted game.
View attachment 142527
View attachment 142528
View attachment 142529
View attachment 142530
View attachment 142532
View attachment 142534
View attachment 142535
View attachment 142536
First one looks like one of the swallowtail species. White one maybe a cabbage butterfly, last one possibly a monarch or a viceroy. Not much help on the others.

The native prairie aficionado in me, however, is highly distracted by the leafy spurge! 😂

A Pine Squirrel in pursuit of the pollen cones on a White Spruce that have not opened up yet. There were some gutsy moves made to get to the terminal end of the branches where these cones were growing.
DSC_1937_272.JPG
DSC_1930_271.JPG

To eat one of the pollen cones the squirrel had to go back somewhere safe to eat it.
DSC_1928_270.JPG

Last night I went out for a walk along one of Marquette's rivers. I will have to say it was an adventure.

First thing of interest that I ran into.

Lady's Slipper
DSC_2020_275re.JPG

A few photos of the river showing how steep the banks are making it challenging to fish.
DSC_2029_278re.JPG
DSC_2031_279re.JPG
DSC_2038_282re.JPG

Marquette has only had one known location of Poison Ivy that was a small patch of it along the lower harbor shoreline. Then I ran into a new discovery. Now the Poison Ivy risks just went up because I found a thick patch of it that is growing on a gravel wash out area along the river. I have never been worried about Ivy while fishing any UP streams. That has now changed. I guess this corner of the river will be named Poison Ivy Bend. I just know there are going to be people burned at this spot.
DSC_2035_281re.JPG
A close up view of the vegetation on the river bank (dominated by the Poison Ivy).
DSC_2033_280re.JPG

I sure hope no one is fishing with shorts on walking the navigational bank of the river!

scouting a deer spot in colorado a couple weeks ago

checking out these gnarly tent caterpillars

then discovering this fat and happy friend of theirs hanging out not 1 foot below them

IMG-5758.jpgIMG-5749.jpg

Back