Calling coyotes with my shotgun, PICTURES!

derbyacresbob

I went out to do some coyote calling at 12:30 pm on Thursday. I was set up and calling on my first stand at 1:00 pm and I started out with Bay Bee Cottontail on my Foxpro Fury. I was sitting in the shade of a oak tree leaning into a small juniper with my camera in front of my face and my shotgun in my lap. I had my Fury sitting down hill from me about 15 yards away.

At around the 6 or 7 minute mark I heard a coyote running in and it was to my left. I moved my eyes to the left just in time to see a coyote stop 15 ft away from me and it was looking at my Foxpro caller and decoy. The coyote froze and I couldn't move, the coyote stood there looking at the caller and decoy for at least 10 seconds, it seemed like a minute.

Then the coyote started running down the hill to the left of my caller. I dropped my camera and grabbed my shotgun. The 1-1/2 oz load of Rem HD BBs put this coyote down hard at about 25 yards.
009-2.jpg

The next stand was a blank but the 3rd stand is one of my favorite spots. I set up my Fury and decoy about 15 yards below me on a pretty steep hill. I was in shade leaning up against a big oak tree. I have shot at least 6 coyotes at this spot over the years and got some live coyote pictures also. I started playing Bay Bee Cottontail on volume 30 after about 5 minutes I cranked it up to volume 40.

A few minutes later I saw a coyote running up the hill through the shade of some trees so I started taking pictures.
022-Copy.jpg

026-Copy.jpg

I got quite a few pictures of this coyote before it decided to head off to my right. When it turned to leave I grabbed my shotgun and dropped the coyote with one shot.

029-1.jpg

In the above picture you can see the dead coyote on the right side of the picture.

038.jpg

This is another picture of the same coyote.

My next two stands were blank stands. Then I found a spot where the wind was blowing in my favor and I had a big canyon on my left and a big canyon on my right. I started out with Snowshoe Hi Pitch on this stand and about 3 minutes into it a coyote came out of the canyon on my left. So I started taking some pictures of it.

049.jpg

052.jpg

This coyote was real light colored it almost looked white when it was running towards me. It stopped and looked at the decoy about 30 yards away and then took off to leave. So I grabbed my shotgun and dropped the coyote just before it went behind a big mound.
054-1.jpg

The next stand was going to be my last stand off the day because the sun was about to go down. I set my Fury and decoy out about 20 yards away from me and I sat in the edge of a juniper. I had Bay Bee Cottontail playing on volume 30 for a few minutes when I saw a doe and a fawn run out of a canyon about 100 yards below me. About 1 minute later a coyote ran out of the canyon in the same spot the deer ran out. The coyote looked up towards my caller and decoy and headed up the steep hill for my Foxpro.

This coyote stopped at about 35 yards away and then turned to leave so I dropped him with my shotgun.
083.jpg

It was a great afternoon of coyote calling.

That's a tuff task. You sir are a one man show it must be to easy to just shoot them with a gun you had to add the camera. Nice work.

Back