Yeti GOBOX Collection

Calling all .300 ultra mag owners.....

Millsworks

Looking for a little info.
I need to know the width at widest point, smallest point, and length, of your magazine follower.
I need a follower for a rifle I have modified.
Please include the make and model also.

Hate to bother anyone with the request. But I seem to be having trouble getting the specs on this part from supply places that carry them.
I'm particularly interested in the Winchester model 70 and Remington 700 followers.
I need a long follower and the ultra mag should fit the bill.
I think anyway. This I why I am fishing for info before I go shopping for a part.
Thanks for taking the time to measure with your calipers for me.
I appreciate it a lot.

Interested. What rifle did you modify? Would a Wyatt’s box and follower be easier?

I have a 700 and my uncles got a 70... headed down to his place tonight to work on new loads actually lol. I should be able to measure both followers for you

I can measure my 700 when I get home. The 70 in .300 RUM is a rare bird. mtmuley

I am on Eastern time so I beat mtmuley home.

I have a stainless Remington 700 in 300 RUM. I come up with 3.635 length, .665 at the front (narrowest spot) and .795 at the back (widest spot).

I’m on central time so could’ve beat Mt Muley too, but got a little ahead of myself evidently cuz today is only Thursday. I can measure the rifles tomorrow night when I get down there.

I can’t remember exactly what they called his model, but it’s one of the m70 pre-64 re-makes with the sporter barrel, a synthetic stock and stainless finish. Not sure what it weighs but it’s a lot less than the sendero I shoot and groups just as good.

I’m on central time so could’ve beat Mt Muley too, but got a little ahead of myself evidently cuz today is only Thursday. I can measure the rifles tomorrow night when I get down there.

I can’t remember exactly what they called his model, but it’s one of the m70 pre-64 re-makes with the sporter barrel, a synthetic stock and stainless finish. Not sure what it weighs but it’s a lot less than the sendero I shoot and groups just as good.
Is your father's rifle a factory Winchester? mtmuley

You guys are awesome.
Thanks for going through the trouble. So far the dementions from the Remington sound like it would fit with no modifications.
I have a Winchester model 70 featherweight in .300 win mag that I removed the spacer in the mag box from a long time ago , and want a follower that fills the void that would be there with the stock one in place.
The stock follower rattles around a lot when the mag is empty, and it functions fine until the follower sometimes pushes forward on the last round, causing a malfunction.
I made a follower for it that fits great, but I didn't quite get the profile/ ramp angle shaped right so it unfortunately sometimes won't pick up the last round without an assist.
I was going to try another self fabbed attempt, but I see used followers for the ultra mag for 12.00 and new for $35.00.
It took two hours to make the last one and $10.00 of material.
The used followers I see are Remington 700 and the new are for the model 70.
I modified the box to get enough space to seat my rounds out to around 3.480 and allow function. That puts me within 15 thousands of the lands and this rifle is shooting super groups with this set up .
The spacer removal was relatively simple and no cost, verses buying an aftermarket box and follower kit .

You guys are awesome.
Thanks for going through the trouble. So far the dementions from the Remington sound like it would fit with no modifications.
I have a Winchester model 70 featherweight in .300 win mag that I removed the spacer in the mag box from a long time ago , and want a follower that fills the void that would be there with the stock one in place.
The stock follower rattles around a lot when the mag is empty, and it functions fine until the follower sometimes pushes forward on the last round, causing a malfunction.
I made a follower for it that fits great, but I didn't quite get the profile/ ramp angle shaped right so it unfortunately sometimes won't pick up the last round without an assist.
I was going to try another self fabbed attempt, but I see used followers for the ultra mag for 12.00 and new for $35.00.
It took two hours to make the last one and $10.00 of material.
The used followers I see are Remington 700 and the new are for the model 70.
I modified the box to get enough space to seat my rounds out to around 3.480 and allow function. That puts me within 15 thousands of the lands and this rifle is shooting super groups with this set up .
The spacer removal was relatively simple and no cost, verses buying an aftermarket box and follower kit .
My standard follower is only 3.285 long and can now accommodate one that is up to 3.682 long and .885 at the widest point.
I really appreciate the info guys.
I will try to order one this weekend after more people have time to chime in.

Sometimes my fat fingers go where they cause me tech trouble.
Sorry....
Looks like I some how posted what I was typing before I finished and caused a double .

Is your father's rifle a factory Winchester? mtmuley

It’s my uncles but yes it is. Would’ve been purchased somewhere around 02-04 it seems like. I’ll get the details straightened out tomorrow night and post with the measurements of the follower.

Millsworks, curious what you consider super groups?

Millsworks
A follower from a m70 in 300HH,300WBY,375HH is longer and might be easier to modify to feed in your rifle.

It’s my uncles but yes it is. Would’ve been purchased somewhere around 02-04 it seems like. I’ll get the details straightened out tomorrow night and post with the measurements of the follower.

Millsworks, curious what you consider super groups?

Interesting. As I said, not many of those around. It does seem though, if it shoots better than your Sendero, you might be leaving some accuracy on the table. How old is your Sendero? mtmuley

The follower for the .375 is what I originally thought I needed but it measures 3.375, not much longer than my .300 win mag, and worse yet it is out of stock everywhere I could get one affordably.
I get just under 3/8" groups at the hundred, ( around 3.12 center hole to center hole ), on an average day at the range fired from the rest on my pack not sand bags. I like to practice real would shooting positions.
On a good day 3/4" at the 200 is the norm.
For those that are curious.

Correction......
The .375 mag follower measures 3.38, still far off from what I'm looking for.

Mills
My mistake. It’s the follower from a 7STW M70 that will usually work best. Have you shortened the bolt stop? Replaced the ejector blade?

I did shorten the bolt stop.
The ejector didn't need any attention.

I can't say I have seen any followers for the 7 STW at the suppliers I shop at, but wasn't searching for one either.
Have a hard time believing the STW is longer than the ultra mag.
But will check into it. Thanks

Hope it works out. One of the best m70 gunsmiths is Lee Christianson in Baldwin, WI. Heck of a great guy. Maybe give him a call.

Interesting. As I said, not many of those around. It does seem though, if it shoots better than your Sendero, you might be leaving some accuracy on the table. How old is your Sendero? mtmuley

Talked to my uncle last night, it's a model 70 Classic Stainless is how he worded it. He thinks his and the Sendero were both purchased new in 2001 (I inherited the Sendero from my other uncle who has since passed). We aren't very serious re loaders though, so I'm sure there is accuracy left on the table. When my uncles first bought the rifles and loaded up one batch of 165 gr. they shot good enough that we've never even changed the loads since then. I think the first time they shot the hand loads were at 400 and both rifles shot 2" - 3" groups. We're getting into the 180 gr's now though. My uncle cooked up a couple different test loads last night that we're going to play around with some this weekend. This will be the first time I've ever compared the two rifles side by side.

Millsworks, I've had a couple groups that size with my m700 22-250, but shooting that tight of groups on a consistent basis seems like an impossible feat lol, sounds like a lot of attention to detail at the re loading bench and great shooting skills, that's awesome!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ca_centralcoast_hunter
Back