Call me crazy but..8mm Mauser

Just got home from hunting elk with my sporterized 8mm Mauser with a 26in Benchmark barrel. Am using 175 grn Sierra Pro Hunter bullets on top of a max charge of IMR 4064. Took a large cow at 350yds with one shot through both lungs. She ran 60-70 yards after the shot and dropped dead. Seems like it works to me.

Kind of a long story, so will try to make it short. Rifle started out as a K98 during WWII. Came to the U.S. after the war and was sporterized by Golden State Firearms in California and re-barreled/re-chambered to 30-06. My Father in law had it, I inherited it. I bought an 8mm barrel from Benchmark Barrels, a stock from Bell and Carlson, bolt sleeve from Gentry, Leupold VX Freedom 3x9, Leupold rings and base, timney trigger and had a gunsmith do most of the work. when the barrel came from Benchmark it was 26in so I left it that long (a good idea I believe). Of the loads I've made I really like the 175grn Sierra Pro Hunter with 49.0grns of IMR 4064. Over my cronograph in a ten shot string I get an average MV of 2829fps. Sorry am having trouble getting pic to attach (not really a computer guy).

I have killed quite a few whitetail bucks and a black bear with 8mm. Currently using Norma 160 grain Eco Strikes at 2700+ fps. I would not hesitate to shoot a Elk with that.

Attachments

• 20210909_213609.jpg
    20210909_213609.jpg
    823.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211114_160603.jpg
    20211114_160603.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
I am going on an elk hunt in 2023. Bought a Sauer 100 Classic XT in 8 mm Mauser. Ammo availability is a problem. Wish I got a 308 sometimes. Anyway, paid a handloader ($$$) for Sierra Prohunter 175 grain at 2700 fps but hoping S&B will come up with some cheaper elk loads in 2022. The S&B 196 grain SPCE is marginal I am told for bull elk. Otherwise I am stuck with the expensive handload. I see Nosler 180 grain ET ammo available which looks good for elk but it is $$. May try a box. However I am going to do most of my practice with the cheaper Priv, S&B SPCE and military loads. Guide says I am fine for 300+ yard shots at elk with the 8 mm Mauser with my setup. Have a 2x10 Burris scope.

With Norma ammo loaded to CIP pressures the 8mmx57 is basically a twin of the 30-06. It will certainly kill any elk that walks out to 400 yards easy.

Maybe made a mistake, but I looked at the muzzle energy of a 8 mm Norma Factory Loading 180 grain ET and it was slightly below a 308 factory load. Bummer to pay so much for cartridge to have it loaded below its potential. Would still do the job but not happy and will probably skip. I agree with the above post if you hand loaded that Nosler 180 grain E tip to the cartridge potential it could equal a 30-06. My 175 grain Sierra Prohunter handloads come close to equaling a 30-06 180 grain factory load. Whether they shoot accurately from my gun is the big question so may have to try the Nosler factory loads as looks like nothing else available with a suitable bullet. Hope that changes in 2022.

I am going on an elk hunt in 2023. Bought a Sauer 100 Classic XT in 8 mm Mauser. Ammo availability is a problem. Wish I got a 308 sometimes. Anyway, paid a handloader ($$$) for Sierra Prohunter 175 grain at 2700 fps but hoping S&B will come up with some cheaper elk loads in 2022. The S&B 196 grain SPCE is marginal I am told for bull elk. Otherwise I am stuck with the expensive handload. I see Nosler 180 grain ET ammo available which looks good for elk but it is $$. May try a box. However I am going to do most of my practice with the cheaper Priv, S&B SPCE and military loads. Guide says I am fine for 300+ yard shots at elk with the 8 mm Mauser with my setup. Have a 2x10 Burris scope.

Those military loads are going to be Berdan primed & corrosive. Be sure to thoroughly clean your bolt, action, chamber & barrel well after using them or you'll be dealing with corrosion and pitting.

Maybe made a mistake, but I looked at the muzzle energy of a 8 mm Norma Factory Loading 180 grain ET and it was slightly below a 308 factory load. Bummer to pay so much for cartridge to have it loaded below its potential. Would still do the job but not happy and will probably skip. I agree with the above post if you hand loaded that Nosler 180 grain E tip to the cartridge potential it could equal a 30-06. My 175 grain Sierra Prohunter handloads come close to equaling a 30-06 180 grain factory load. Whether they shoot accurately from my gun is the big question so may have to try the Nosler factory loads as looks like nothing else available with a suitable bullet. Hope that changes in 2022.
For you I hope that your rifle will shoot accurately with the 175grn Sierra because as long as you do your part it will handle any elk out to 400yds and probably further. On the elk I just got the 175grn Sierra went in on the right side, came out on the left side and left about a half dollar size exit wound. Didn't recover the bullet or find any bullet frag in the elk. See post above. And best of luck..

I have killed quite a few whitetail bucks and a black bear with 8mm. Currently using Norma 160 grain Eco Strikes at 2700+ fps. I would not hesitate to shoot a Elk with that.
Well done. Curious to know what the range on that bear was, how large he was, and how many shots did it take to finish the job?

Well done. Curious to know what the range on that bear was, how large he was, and how many shots did it take to finish the job?
The bear was apprx 40 yards. It was actually a large female with no cubs. We weighed her at 300# . 1 shot broadside. There was a very easy blood trail to follow. She didn't run more than another 40. I will use that exact same setup when I hunt bears again.

I didn't realise it, but Norma has discontinued a bunch of their 8mm mauser ammo. And what's left isn't loaded like then old stuff.
Regardless the 8mm will kill any elk or deer stone dead all day long.

I believe the infamous MG42 machine gun of WWII was 8mm. Is this the same cartridge ?

ive taken antelope,whitetail, mule deer, black bear and elk with various 8x57's never an issue with decent shot placement,, generally fall in their tracks. i think you need to be a reloader to get the best out of this cartridge though

150 sierra or 150 hornady 50 grains of 4064 Antlelope/Deer-- big exit holes
160 barnes 49 grains of 4064,,, only used on deer but very effective out to 300 yards
170 hornady SST 49 grains of varget excellent on deer probably too soft for Elk
170 speer or 170 hornady rn 48 grains of 4064 black bear or good timber load
175 sierra 48 grains of 4064 used on everything from antelope to elk
195 hornady 200 nosler partition 46/47 4064 good for Elk
250 woodleigh 50 grains of 4350 used at very close range on black bear and Elk,,, bullets traveled stem to stern with wide wound channels

As always slowly work up to these pressure levels in your rifle

ive taken antelope,whitetail, mule deer, black bear and elk with various 8x57's never an issue with decent shot placement,, generally fall in their tracks. i think you need to be a reloader to get the best out of this cartridge though

150 sierra or 150 hornady 50 grains of 4064 Antlelope/Deer-- big exit holes
160 barnes 49 grains of 4064,,, only used on deer but very effective out to 300 yards
170 hornady SST 49 grains of varget excellent on deer probably too soft for Elk
170 speer or 170 hornady rn 48 grains of 4064 black bear or good timber load
175 sierra 48 grains of 4064 used on everything from antelope to elk
195 hornady 200 nosler partition 46/47 4064 good for Elk
250 woodleigh 50 grains of 4350 used at very close range on black bear and Elk,,, bullets traveled stem to stern with wide wound channels

As always slowly work up to these pressure levels in your rifle
Absolutely right you really do need to reload to be able to get the best out of this cartridge. The list of reloads you have made are very similar to what I had made and have tested at the range. One other load that i made was with a 125grn Hornady (discontinued bullet) over 55grns of W748. Might work for varmints.

I made a mistake in the last post. The 180 gr ET I was referencing was a Nosler cartridge not a Norma. Several sites have it in stock. It is the one that the muzzle energy seemed low. I cannot find the Norma ammunition in the states with the mono bullet.

I would have no use for an 8mm Mauser. Seems there just not much in the way of bullet's that you couldn't get in a 30-06 or even 308. But on the other hand if I were you and felt like you do I'd use it no matter what some guy like me said. I strongly suspect it will get the job done as well as anything! Have a good time!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back