Call me crazy but..8mm Mauser

Bullshot

I recently "overpaid" for the opportunity at a modern chambering of an 8mm mauser. No regrets, I simply wanted it. I already own a 1930's vintage Brno vz24 and its a fun plinker out to about 150 with the Lyman peep. But I want to use the new rifle on a special elk hunt someday. Maybe when I use my lifetime of CO points or if I ever draw New Mexico or Utah. I am not a long range hunter and actually would prefer to not have the temptation, so I don't want to do a premium hunt with my 7 mag. I think with a 3-9X scope, the 8mm would max out closer to 300 with a 200-220 grain bullet and my relatively limited long distance skills. Has anybody else enjoyed taking an 8mm out for elk or muleys and am I crazy for daydreaming about it?

When I first started hunting in 1974 there were a plethora of World War Two rifles used in the field 7.7 Jap , 303 Enfields 6.5 Carcano, Mosin Nagant and the crem dala crem the Mauser 8 mm. The 8x57 will kill elk very nicely! 180’s or 200gr premium bullets will certainly do a great job. Good luck in your quest !

My dad shot his first elk with a sporterized 8mm with a Lyman peep. I ended up with the rifle. I doubt I will ever take it elk hunting but I might take it after a deer this fall.

My dad's Brno 8mm was the first centerfire rifle I ever shot, out on the cliff banks along Lake Erie in Ohio on a blustery winter day in the 1980's. Dad stored it at the grandparents house since the 60's and every family trip out there, he'd pull it out of the attic and unwrap it from the blanket it was wrapped in. I begged for years to go shoot it, finally we did when I was maybe 8, 9 or 10. I've never hunted with it although it since has passed down to me. It's still a capable shooter, and maybe I'll take it after whitetails soon enough.

I shot my last bull with a 8mm using 200 grain speers. He was about 200 yards. I'd use the 8mm again in a heartbeat. I forget the load I was using, I'm sure I got it in my notes.

My dad carries one every year. His father picked it up in Germany during the war and shipped it home.

I think he’s shooting around a 160 grain and it’s worked very well on deer and antelope.

My step son took his first whitetail last season with an 8mm K98 his girlfriend's grandfather lent him. It's certainly enough to do the trick for medium sized game inside 250yd. I believe he was using 180gr loads with similar ballistic results as my 30-06 with 180s.

I hunted for years with 8mm k98 that was horribly sporterized in fact it was my first hunting rifle my dad gave me. I shot a few whitetail with it(i think 200 yards was my longest shot) , and took it on a mule deer hunt when I was 16 total missed though. I've always use 165gr bullets with it I believe and it did its job. I'd love to use it on elk one day, but it sits in safe these days. My dad, brother and I all shot our first deer with it.

I shot my last bull with a 8mm using 200 grain speers. He was about 200 yards. I'd use the 8mm again in a heartbeat. I forget the load I was using, I'm sure I got it in my notes.
would be interested in your notes and a starting load suggestion. I have 170 grain speer, 200 and 220 Woodleighs (round nose) and 200 NP to choose from.

Good round I hunt with its BIG brother 8mm Rem Mag.
I use a 200 gr Barnes Reloader 26, 3300 fps, or a 220 Serra reloader 26 and 3200 fps. OUTSTANDING.

I recently "overpaid" for the opportunity at a modern chambering of an 8mm mauser. No regrets, I simply wanted it. I already own a 1930's vintage Brno vz24 and its a fun plinker out to about 150 with the Lyman peep. But I want to use the new rifle on a special elk hunt someday. Maybe when I use my lifetime of CO points or if I ever draw New Mexico or Utah. I am not a long range hunter and actually would prefer to not have the temptation, so I don't want to do a premium hunt with my 7 mag. I think with a 3-9X scope, the 8mm would max out closer to 300 with a 200-220 grain bullet and my relatively limited long distance skills. Has anybody else enjoyed taking an 8mm out for elk or muleys and am I crazy for daydreaming about it?
Do it

My first rifle was a surplus 8mm, bought it for 25 bucks and killed my first two antelope with it as well as several mulies. Never did connect with an elk using it though. Wildcatted it to 8mm-06 and used it as a black timber gun with 220 Sierras before moving back to NC and it downed a number of whitetail using lighter loads before being retired to the back of the safe.

Not crazy at all! My first real centerfire rifle was a Yugo 8mm and I dreamed of sporterizing it and hunting elk with it. Unfortunately in my college years my need for cash outcompeted my dreams and I sold it for whatever bill needed paid at the time.

Not sure why there would be any hesitancy. My understanding is they can be loaded within about 200fps of an 06 with same weight bullets.

Howdy. I like the thought process going on with you Bullshot! Sometimes it is what we tote as a weapon, that makes the hunt even more of a great event and thus a memory that settles in and feels good. For me, I love to carry the 8mm's little brother.... the 35 Whelen. I use it for very similar reasons(esp in the timber) and I love the rifle's character (when all the big rifle kabooms are all around and pushing the elk about) that nudges me to get close enough for the 35 Whelen to be comfortable. Sneaking in close to nervous elk and executing this type of shot is some fun.

I wouldn't call you crazy. I have a sporterized 1943 BNZ with an old Weaver K4 that's taken 3 mulies and a cow elk since I got it. I load 185gr Remington CL that move at 2650fps. I need to plan another hunt with it.

Back