California deer tags available

I have max points for sheep - Was hoping for more tags this year, instead 4 fewer.
Yeah it’s tough now if you’re a max point holder. There is more opportunity for the random then max point holders it feel like. So you must have been apply for the marble/clippers, great fun unit!

Put in for the whites the first 15 years because they were always a little easier to get drawn - back in the 90's and then the point system started in 2002, it was 200:1 odds. The odds for zone 7 were 27:1 last year.

About 10 years ago I decided that if I do get drawn, would really would rather hunt in a Dec - Jan. season so seems like I've hopped around applying in either zone 3, 8 or 9 which have been 60 to 70: 1 draw odds in recent years.

I'm thinking about putting in for zone 7 again - The White Mtns and hire a guide. Better draw odds than the other zones.

I'm about ready to turn 65 - in outstanding shape - today... In my younger days I know I could of hunted zone 7 w/o help. Not anymore.

Put in for the whites the first 15 years because they were always a little easier to get drawn - back in the 90's and then the point system started in 2002, it was 200:1 odds. The odds for zone 7 were 27:1 last year.

About 10 years ago I decided that if I do get drawn, would really would rather hunt in a Dec - Jan. season so seems like I've hopped around applying in either zone 3, 8 or 9 which have been 60 to 70: 1 draw odds in recent years.

I'm thinking about putting in for zone 7 again - The White Mtns and hire a guide. Better draw odds than the other zones.

I'm about ready to turn 65 - in outstanding shape - today... In my younger days I know I could have hunted zone 7 w/o help. Not anymore.
I got to help a sheep hunter in the whites last year, place is incredible. I also helped guide in the Clark’s the same year. Whites every time.

Any zone with the Dec 2 to Feb 4 season sounds better than the Whites in Aug.
Newberry unit has the tags, plenty of rams, and relatively easy terrain. Can easily be done without a guide.
Zone 10 had 403 max pts applying for 5 tags last year.

Drawing odds have slowly improved since the pt system started 21 years ago.

Last edited:
Any zone with the Dec 2 to Feb 4 season sounds better than the Whites in Aug.

Zone 10 had 403 max pts applying for 5 tags last year.

Drawing odds have slowly improved since the pt system started 21 years ago.
Imagine if we could get the state to open up more opportunities where there are known sheep herd. Spread out the max point holders and get a few more through the system

I've drawn well over the years and have a theory on drawing hunts.

When given the choice, I apply for the highest odds hunts.

The Whites with a 4% yearly chance means that there is a 50% chance of drawing it in the next 12 years.

The others to get to the 50% chance is 30+ years.

Born in 1958...

For those with max pts and in their 30's and 40's will draw before they are too old as long as the herds hold up. Or politics...

Last year the F&G plans were to open up new areas and increase tags to 42 in 2024. Also some new hunts would be muzzle loader or archery only.

Lots of $ have been spent on the herds since hunting opened in California, I think in 1994 or so. Estimates in the Whites were 400-500 sheep last year. The 20 year drought has effected the herds further south. The water sites that have been built over the years have probably kept many herds alive.

Hunting the Whites at 10,000 to near 14,000 feet. Doesn't scare me, live at 5200' and regularly spend time up to 9000'. However, you never know until you get up there.

If drawn, would look to get spiked in perhaps a week before the start.

I know we have people in high places trying to open more hunts. The are many huge rams in the areas that have remained closed.

Please, Please. Before I'm too old...

Imagine if we could get the state to open up more opportunities where there are known sheep herd. Spread out the max point holders and get a few more through the system

There's still 1,486 people in the max pool, 223 of those are especially dumb applying for PD. They had a plan to raise tags to 39, but recent stresses have put that on hold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back