Caliber for pronghorn

Hey guys!
Long story short, I have a 300 win mag that I’m scared to take on my antelope hunt, I think it’s too much gun. Does anyone hunt with a 300 win mag? And what are the most popular calibers out there for pronghorn?
Great question! I just purchased my first rifle a few months ago and was determined to go on my first elk hunt this year. My elk hunt was derailed by a pronghorn instead which I’m 100 excited for.

I went with a 7mm rem mag because I was concerned about the 300 win mag. My reseach has lead me to believe a 7mm or 300win mag are just fine for pronghorn. I believe it’s more a matter of shot placement.

My question to you is do you go with a larger grain bullet or a smaller one? Would would a smaller grain bullet pass through the animal not damaging as much tissue? Would a heavier grain take the front shoulder of?

Shot several antelope with 300 WinMag and 180 gr Barnes. I don't keep the ribs so no real meat loss. Agree the bullet is more important than the caliber.

I'm tempted to (but probably won't) shoot an antelope with my .204 Ruger and 31 gr Hammer Hunter following the Hammer boy's experiences in Africa with .17 Hornet.

I have seen one taken with a 750 grain bullet…
I think a 150 is fine.

Last edited:
I've shot a couple with 165's from a 300wsm. Nothing overly destructive happened. I'll probably do it again at some point.

Great question! I just purchased my first rifle a few months ago and was determined to go on my first elk hunt this year. My elk hunt was derailed by a pronghorn instead which I’m 100 excited for.

I went with a 7mm rem mag because I was concerned about the 300 win mag. My reseach has lead me to believe a 7mm or 300win mag are just fine for pronghorn. I believe it’s more a matter of shot placement.

My question to you is do you go with a larger grain bullet or a smaller one? Would would a smaller grain bullet pass through the animal not damaging as much tissue? Would a heavier grain take the front shoulder of?
I’d shoot whatever bullet you shoot at everything else. A tougher bullet will usually give less meat loss. I’ve shot a few antelope with 180 Accubonds and 180 TTSX out of a .300 Win Mag, no more meat damage than any other cartridge I’ve shot them with.

Hey guys!
Long story short, I have a 300 win mag that I’m scared to take on my antelope hunt, I think it’s too much gun. Does anyone hunt with a 300 win mag? And what are the most popular calibers out there for pronghorn?
If I ever draw a tag, I will either bring my 26 nosler or 6.5 grendel

Back