Caribou Gear Tarp

Cabela's sold ??

Rooster52

Hearing rumors around that Cabela's is being sold. Anyone heard anything about this ?

Don't know about that. I did read an article last month on how some of their stores aren't doing that well or at least well enough to pay for all that real estate they take up compared to online.

Last edited:
I am a long time online Cabelas customer. I can tell you I was sorely disappointed in the Christiana DE location when it opened. The store is undersized and over priced. The selection was limited enough that I don't even go there unless I am killing time up that way.

The edifice focus worked 20 years ago. Sportsmen Warehouse appears to be rolling after some hard times a few years back.

Bass Pro would be a good option to acquire Cabela's. Close the duplicate stores and hopefully save most of the jobs.

Bass Pro is the one that toying with buying Cabela's. Cabela's crapped the bed, when they went public. They got too big and one investor ended up with 11 percent of the company. He is pushing to dump it.

Retail where you can "touch and feel" will always survive in some capacity. I would not want to be a mall owner that is looking for tenants right now....

Cabela has been turning into a WALMART over the last couple years.More items from China and such and less American made and Canada made items. Just the way of the world I guess.

They just opened a store in Huntsville, AL. It is only about a quarter mile from my office, so I spend at least three days lunch break a week there. I was really looking forward to being able to "showroom" many of the gear items and apparel from my wish list.

No dice. Most of the items they carry in the store are the Cabela's brand, with very limited selection other than that.

Cabela has been turning into a WALMART over the last couple years.More items from China and such and less American made and Canada made items. Just the way of the world I guess.

I couldn't agree more--it is all about increasing sales volume and building more stores for stock holders. You can see it in their product reviews. Over and over again you see the customers enthralled with a product for years and then you see it decline--sometimes quite rapidly. It usually coincides with a revision to cheapen it up for foreign manufacturing. I have been a long time Cabelas fan, but I am disgusted at the sell out to the Chinese products and lack of emphasis on quality. You have to be very careful what you are buying there any more. Save up and buy the well made American products.

I couldn't agree more--it is all about increasing sales volume and building more stores for stock holders. You can see it in their product reviews. Over and over again you see the customers enthralled with a product for years and then you see it decline--sometimes quite rapidly. It usually coincides with a revision to cheapen it up for foreign manufacturing. I have been a long time Cabelas fan, but I am disgusted at the sell out to the Chinese products and lack of emphasis on quality. You have to be very careful what you are buying there any more. Save up and buy the well made American products.

Americans don't want American made, they want inexpensive. Wages have barely increased since the 70's so the cheaper the better because folks can't help but consume.

Bass Pro is the one that toying with buying Cabela's. Cabela's crapped the bed, when they went public. They got too big and one investor ended up with 11 percent of the company. He is pushing to dump it.

Guess we're in trouble because a very large percentage of products in Bass pro are made in china also.

I believe going public did really hurt them and Bass Pro has been the name floating around to acquire them.

The Cabela's here does very good but I'm afraid it is more of an overhead problem now.

We also have a Gander Mountain here and don't know how the heck they are still opened, bad location, it's been a ghost town for over three years now.

We had a Sportsman Warehouse here that was part of their expansion package. The store by all accounts was one of their best but because it was part of that expansion it closed.

I have heard that they want to be back here in the near future. I wish they would I too prefer them over the others.

Americans don't want American made, they want inexpensive. Wages have barely increased since the 70's so the cheaper the better because folks can't help but consume.

I went to buy and American Flag to finally replace my old tattered one I've had since I've been back from Iraq...put it back when I saw the 'made in China' tag on it. I'll look for one online.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back