Cabela's sold ??

My experiences with the couple of Gander Mountains I've been in rivaled to knowledge and experience levels of the hunting associates in the 200 sq ft hunting areas of Dick's Sporting Goods stores.

I am guilty as the next as I just bought three new rifle scopes from Cabela all from someplace on the other side of the world.

Cabela's is the only place besides Amazon I can find my pike fly fishing leaders, so sometimes, I must go there...my wife likes the mounts anyway and I usually get her a tshirt.

They are so overpriced its disgusting. I live 2 miles from one and refuse to step foot in it

My experiences with the couple of Gander Mountains I've been in rivaled to knowledge and experience levels of the hunting associates in the 200 sq ft hunting areas of Dick's Sporting Goods stores.

A very firearms knowledgeable friend worked part time for Gander for a very short time and he said it was a mess. They hire their management out of big box retail/discount stores and thus you are lucky to have anyone know anything on down the line. He couldn't take it.

I used to spend a ton of money every year at Cabelas, but not so much any more as you can find better stuff at better prices if you shop around a little! I'd like to have a small percentage of the money they have invested just in the continuous flyers and catalogs I get in the mail almost weekly. I will not do business at any Gander Mountain for the reasons stated by our other members either, but it seems like the only places that have personnel that know anything nowadays is your small mom and pop shops..

Last edited:
Never been in one but have purchased lotta stuff from them,even before online.
Have not bought anything from them in a while really. I do like there own brand stuff that was made here.
Micro-tex comes to mind,along with berber fleece windstopper.
Outfitter series stuff was good.

Been in a Bass place in Vegas once & had to leave,hated it.
Been in Sportsmans in Alb. recently and it's a nice store with good stuff and reasonable... well in this day and age.
I get most stuff online/onsale now.

Last edited:
Cabela's is not that much higher than any other retailer on their prices. The prices would not be so high, if they did not eat millions in shipping each year. Very rarely do you pay actual shipping costs at Cabela's. It was really great when my wife worked there, as we got everything at a large discount. Now, I rarely buy from them, as I can get stuff on line and not have to pay tax on it (as well as sometimes cheaper prices).

The American-made thing is a non-starter. Good luck finding the products that you need and having them all made in the U.S. Ain't gonna happen. Unfortunately, it is a world economy now and we are just one of the players. There would be more American stuff, if it wasn't for people with no work ethic and union influence making ridiculous demands on businesses-not to mention government red tape. Products can't be produced economically here anymore.

I would hate to see them get bought by bass pro. Cabelas brand merchandise is much better than the Bass Pro Redhead brand in my opinion.

Cabela's is not that much higher than any other retailer on their prices. The prices would not be so high, if they did not eat millions in shipping each year. Very rarely do you pay actual shipping costs at Cabela's. It was really great when my wife worked there, as we got everything at a large discount. Now, I rarely buy from them, as I can get stuff on line and not have to pay tax on it (as well as sometimes cheaper prices).

The American-made thing is a non-starter. Good luck finding the products that you need and having them all made in the U.S. Ain't gonna happen. Unfortunately, it is a world economy now and we are just one of the players. There would be more American stuff, if it wasn't for people with no work ethic and union influence making ridiculous demands on businesses-not to mention government red tape. Products can't be produced economically here anymore.

...some inconvenient truths there.

As long as they keep their new Tooele, UT distribution center open--standard delivery is darn near over night nowadays.

The only thing Cabelas has in its favor are the points you get from their credit card. Hoping they keep that, could care less about the rest.

The only thing Cabelas has in its favor are the points you get from their credit card. Hoping they keep that, could care less about the rest.

Bass Pro Shop does it too, as well as an outdoor rewards program for those of us who don't have the credit card to still get points from purchases...I have gotten a lot of free stuff from those points

I use both cards all thetime .The points help me buy things that I probably would do without if had to pay cash.The 3 new scopes I bought at Cabelas was half paid for with points.

At one point Cabela's was one of the few places you could purchase all high-end gear - even if it was at MSRP (no discount). However, once they started pushing their own branded gear, they started slacking on the high-end stuff and instead pushing their own brands - I guess margin is much higher but the quality is not there... For the most part they do not stock the high-end stuff in stores either.

As for Cabela's & Bass Pro merger - I think that will drive them both to the become the Walmart of outdoors gear. Actually may be good for the small shops that carry the high-end gear AND do mail-order, if even just on amazon or eBay stores.

I think a new model will emerge - you will purchase directly from the manufacturer via online with a liberal return policy. I have seen some as liberal as you pay shipping once (or never) and they will continue to swap out product with you until you get the size/model you want. Cuts out the middleman, they can then charge less and even manage to retain more of the profits.

Cabela's at least brings unique quality products with some of their hunting clothing, the Alaskan Guide series, outfitter camo, Cabela's Meindl boots, bow hunter Xtreme fleece, etc.. Bass Pro brings zero unique products for backcountry hunting and camping. If you want a cotton hoodie with a deer on it, Bass Pro will have what you want.

I do not see how our Gander Mountain store can stay in business.You cannot find anyone in there to help you and there employees change almost weekly. Over priced and under stocked.Even the manager lacks knowledge of there items.

I have to agree with Privateer on the branding of everything "Cabelas". It was fine ten or more years ago but it seems nowadays that they want the branded items to command premium prices.

I have to agree with Privateer on the branding of everything "Cabelas". It was fine ten or more years ago but it seems nowadays that they want the branded items to command premium prices.

I agree. I can't see how Cabelas sells a baseball cap for $25.00, and then they have their name on it for "Free" advertising. Same with the sweatshirts, overpriced and you are walking around advertising for them with Cabelas written across your chest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back