Cabela's...sigh

Well, I got a Cabela's gift card for Christmas. So I loaded up a bunch of fishing gear and pressed the Order Now button. My stuff is arriving in early/mid January; I hope my next post isn't worthy of a position in the Jokes section.

We used to have a large local store that rivalled Cabela's a few years ago. They had everything and were a real hunting/fishing store. They held good quality products and lots of choice. Cabela's took over the market and ever since the Basspro/Cabela's merger, the stuff they normally hold is trash. We have just one little mom and pop hunting store now and they hold good stuff, I sure hope they don't go under...

Man y’all are so far ahead of me. I finally used the original replacement blade gerber for the first time this year. Thanks RMEF for the subscription gift.

but to the original point. Cabelas went downhill the day BPS bought them. I have both locally so I watched it happen.

I think it started long before that. Cabela's went public and started selling stock in the company in 2004.
That was the beginning of the end. :(
You’re probably right. We had bass pro shops here first. Cabela’s came later. I just noticed a downhill trend once the two merged.

SaskHunter, at least you folks have Canadian Tire. I have a difficult time driving by one when I'm in Canada. We have one in St.Jean, PQ located about 20 minutes from our home, I normally visit that one when Christmas shopping (Damn COVID !!). My older cousin in Regina used to refer to Canadian Tire as his "church" LOL !! Good assortment of hunting clothes, gear, ammo, etc.

Man y’all are so far ahead of me. I finally used the original replacement blade gerber for the first time this year. Thanks RMEF for the subscription gift.

but to the original point. Cabelas went downhill the day BPS bought them. I have both locally so I watched it happen.
Cabelas went downhill YEARS before basspro bought them out.

I’m giving him an 8/10 for doing something we’ve all though about 😂

Would have been a 10 if he had snagged a fish.

I'd love to see the live show. I hear a famous local 'Mexican' food joint is hurting for business, I envision a BP/Cabelas/Casa Bonita merger in the future: Cliff-diving into a tank of fish for entertainment with sopapillas on the side, pick up some ammo on your way out the door. Yes????

I'd love to see the live show. I hear a famous local 'Mexican' food joint is hurting for business, I envision a BP/Cabelas/Casa Bonita merger in the future: Cliff-diving into a tank of fish for entertainment with sopapillas on the side, pick up some ammo on your way out the door. Yes????
Throw some snapping turtles in, and a some catfish noodling and I’m an investor.

BP seems to do pretty good with fishing gear. I wanted to like BP and went there on many occasions. The one in Springfield, MO has a museum, bass feeding aquarium and lot's of neat stuff. It's almost a vacation destination in itself. It took me a while to give up on them and realize they lacked vision into the hunting world. BP is for yuppie hunters who don't really know what works. Their workers are mostly clueless to the outdoors. I've never run across "a deal" at BP. Seems they have a policy of full-price on "in-store" shopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back