Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Buy new duck decoys or fix old ones

I've killed birds over painted plastic jugs, find good cover, don't move when they are passing, and don't look straight up when they are on a pass. That will kill a lot more birds than flocked dekes. My .02

I repair my dekes that have shot holes using plastic welding via a soldering iron.
For really old dekes, I paint them black and white for maximum visibility and they work well.
These were originally mallard decoys, over 30 years old.
View attachment 231859
Flexible epoxy for repairing auto bumpers also works great. Backed with fiberglass cloth, I have used it to patch cracks or shot holes on back side of my shell decoys. It will dry shiny black. Can be dulled by pressing on it with finger before completely hard or by roughing patch up with sandpaper and then painting.

So. I'm bring this one back to life a bit. I just went out waterfowling again, and was stuck using someone else's shitty dekes. I didn't like it, and while we killed some birds, I feel like we should have killed a lot more. So what dekes should I buy? I only want enough to pack on my back, so like 1-2 dozen (probably just one dozen then add 2 goose floaters).

If I was only going to worry shout carrying a dozen then go fully flocked and buy a jerk rig

???

Not familiar with those, look good. they are pretty pricey however they seem to be super lightweight which would be huge. I was thinking something like these. If you do try them I'd be curious to hear how you like them.

In the 70s my mom was a yard seller and I had a hodgepodge set of decoys. They were plastic, rubber, cork, you name it. My mom had a rule never spend over a quarter on a decoy. They killed ducks.

That said I have a lot of money in goose decoys but not that much in duck decoys. I have probably 3 dozen newer duck decoys and if I lost them I would buy new. The used decoys I have seen on Craigslist or Facebook aren’t a great deal. Often almost as much as new.

Depends on your budget but I would try to get flocked but it’s not a deal breaker if you can’t afford them. I have over a hundred goose decoys and 6 of them are fully flocked. Over the years I have had around 12 eagles hit my goose decoys. Every time it’s a flock one. I think they all have talon scratches on them. So birds can see a difference. 😀

Also if you buy new get some skimmers. If you put out a couple dozen mallards all with their heads up it’s not natural at all. Skimmers add realism to your spread. Good luck and have fun.

I’d keep the old decoys for earlier on in the season just to have numbers on your side, but later in the season use the newer decoys when birds are more pressured.

If you decide to use the old decoys in your spread great, if not, no harm in just having them.

Back