Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Protection of a Duck Roost

JTHOMP

We have a pond on my family's property that over the last few years has turned into a very productive duck roost. The area is not your typical duck area. Generally the surrounding land landscapes are cow pastures and pine plantations. There are some river bottoms but most of that was cleaned up for pastures a generation or two ago. Because of the surrounding landscape isn't your typical duck habitat of flooded timber or marsh I feel that the roost is even more important. I've spent a few evenings this week sitting in the field watching them come to roost. Estimate right now around 50-60 ducks coming in, but more will come as we get more cold weather. One evening late December last year estimate around 200.

The land where the pond is was purchased by my great uncle in the 40s or 50s with my grandpa buy adjacent parcels. For the most part my uncle lived with his wife in Florida and raised a family there. What belonged to my uncle was "ours" as we used it for cows and hay, and paid the share of taxes on the land, but never technically owned it. My uncle died years ago as well as the one child who we maintained a good relationship with. Now my aunt as also passed away, leaving the rightful heir to their daughter. Not a negative relationship, but just never had one with her.

It has long been a concern that when my aunt passes away we may lose the property. While we still don't know how things will workout a deep concern of mine is the duck roost. In the event we lose the property to a new owner, or someone leasing it, is there any group that may take a proactive approach in helping to ensure the roost isn't lost? Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, NRCS, Nature Conservancy etc.? Development is a possibility, but probably unlikely. A likely scenario if someone gets it is they'll bust the levee, remove the trees, redig it, and stock it for fish. Happens all the time with old farm ponds. Also likely that someone will hunt them after shooting hours coming to roost.

I'm reaching out to a few friends that still work within the wildlife community to see what suggestions or contacts they might have. Not wanting to leave a leaf untured I figured it can't hurt to pick the brains of HuntTalkers as well.

IMG_5183.jpg
IMG_5184.jpg
IMG_5188.jpg

Pics from two hunts with my nephew last year at this pond. He's killed a few more with my dad. I've killed my fair share of ducks off of it and a lost goose once. Now prefer to save it for when my nephew comes to visit, or a couple other kids this season if we can get schedules matched up. Hope to teach them that we kill some before sunset, but then have to back out so we will have more for tomorrow and next year. Even though it kills my nephew watching all those ducks come in, one day he'll understand.

I’ve decided to start keeping a more accurate count of duck numbers rather than a guesstimate. This evening I counted 108 ducks not including an unknown number of ducks on the pond when I get there at 5:15. Peak roosting time starts closer to 5:25. Vast marjority were wood ducks but heard a few hooded mergansers. Ducks were counted individually as they flew in. The handful of cases where I only saw a fast silloute swoop in I count that as 1 duck. Plus I’m sure there were others I didn’t see fly in from the north and land on the north side. Will have to find a better view point. So the 108 is on the conservative side.

Are you unable to work a deal to purchase it from your cousin? I know financial dealings can be touchy with family, but I would ask her about some kind of payment plan or something. Who knows maybe she just signs it over to you.

As to work a deal with the cousin that will unfold in the near future. To buy the places ourselves may or may not be more than we can afford. For now I’d like to plan for worst case scenario, which is us losing the place, and figure out what other options might available be for still preserving the roost.

I hunt with a buddy who's dad enlisted USFWS and California Waterfowl Association to help improve and develop some pasture into marshland. They were owners, however, but I believe the agreement was a 25 year non-development clause? May be worth researching.....or talk your Aunt into it now?

I hunt with a buddy who's dad enlisted USFWS and California Waterfowl Association to help improve and develop some pasture into marshland. They were owners, however, but I believe the agreement was a 25 year non-development clause? May be worth researching.....or talk your Aunt into it now?

Something like this would be ideal in my opinion. If it was up to me I'd put the whole 60 acres in trees, or at least the section surrounding the pond. Within the NRCS you can put a property into a Wetlands Restoration Program. Not sure how long it has to remain untouched, but I believe its longer than 25 years as they assist with planting hardwood trees for the purposed of growing them to maturity. A more short term is the Crop Restoration Program. Unfortunately not many people, including immediate family would not sign a property that they can't touch.

WRP (Wetlands Reserve Program) and CRP (Conservation Reserve Program) are definitely an option. Both come with stipulations as to later use. WRP is an actual easement which kills any future development options and IIRC is a one time payment. CRP for trees is generally a 20-30yr contract and you'd receive and annual per acre payment depending o the location and type of planting done. Maintenance is required and can be limited by timing and the type of work allowed. For CRP you will have to show a cropping history on the land to qualify among other things. If you have any questions on navigating either of these let me know. The programs are state specific, but I could probably find answers to general questions.

Another option would be to see if your state has any programs. We have our place enrolled in the Certified Forest and Wildlands program here in Indiana. It reduces the tax burden to all but free and does have some stipulations regarding tree cutting and development. Just something else to consider.

The biggest issue is whom owns/controls the land. They are the ultimate decision makers...

Here’s one place to start. Waterfowl are priority species for USFWS. Partners for Fish and Wildlife is a program that works with private landowners to implement conservation on private lands. However, the Partner’s program works very closely with many other agencies/organizations, depending on the project and what other assistance your project may be eligible for. Someone there should be able to at least get you pointed in the right direction.

For all of these, you either need to own the land or have the owner’s buy in. You might ask about whether any groups buy conservation easements in your neck of the woods. I’ve worked with many landowners who were using the easement payment to partially finance the purchase of the property. Just an idea. Depending on the property, it is sometimes quite a surprise to see just what options are available.

Good luck!

https://www.fws.gov/lafayette/pfw_program.html

Thanks for the correction. What are you referring to with "IIRC"?
I'd love to see some kind reserve program, but unless it becomes solely mine the land use (pasture) surrounding the pond likely won't change. Like you said they biggest issue is who controls it.

Here’s one place to start. Waterfowl are priority species for USFWS. Partners for Fish and Wildlife is a program that works with private landowners to implement conservation on private lands. However, the Partner’s program works very closely with many other agencies/organizations, depending on the project and what other assistance your project may be eligible for. Someone there should be able to at least get you pointed in the right direction.

For all of these, you either need to own the land or have the owner’s buy in. You might ask about whether any groups buy conservation easements in your neck of the woods. I’ve worked with many landowners who were using the easement payment to partially finance the purchase of the property. Just an idea. Depending on the property, it is sometimes quite a surprise to see just what options are available.

Good luck!

https://www.fws.gov/lafayette/pfw_program.html

Thank you!

Back