Butt ugly knife

Looking good Devon! I got to use one of my handmade knives on the deer I shot earlier this week. Making a knife is one thing, but getting to use it gave me a great sense of pride.

I started with a 1x30, then got a 4x36 before building my 2x72. I still use the 1x30, but the 4x36 was largely a waste of time/money. The 2x72 is a night and day improvement over the 1x30. Now I need to get some small wheel attachments.

Looking good Devon! I got to use one of my handmade knives on the deer I shot earlier this week. Making a knife is one thing, but getting to use it gave me a great sense of pride.

I started with a 1x30, then got a 4x36 before building my 2x72. I still use the 1x30, but the 4x36 was largely a waste of time/money. The 2x72 is a night and day improvement over the 1x30. Now I need to get some small wheel attachments.
Thanks for the compliments, it's far from perfect, but I'm learning, the next one I plan on doing will be with a shorter blade, not sure on the handle yet, whether to go with some oak my mate has cut for me, some stabilised wood, or as above Kirinite, which has some cool looking options.
Might even try a stainless steel, but I would get upset if I cocked it up as that steel is pricey.

NMGuy, like you I want to make a knife for myself, the first 2 I have given to friends, knife 3, I have a sentimental attachment to as it was the knife I made on the 'knife making experience day' the kids bought me for my 60th.

I bought a 1x30 this week, I will look into getting a 2x72 but I wouldn't know where to start or have the skills/knowledge to make one so the 1x30 will do for now, better than the angle grinder I have been using!

Cheers

Richard

I was just going to ask what you did with them. Figured you had some lucky friends or land-owners to gift them to!

Never heard of Kirinite and had to look it up. That handle really pops! None of my "collectibles" have anything like it. Some form of wood or antler on mine. Keep things up and you have a new income source! 😎

My first attempt at making a knife, I used an angle grinder (no surprise there!) metal files and abrasive papers.
I sent it away for heat treatment, and whilst it will make experienced knife makers cringe it's mine, and it's as sharp as a razor
@Paul in Idaho I just read your thread, make this is something you could try?
Cheers
Richard
Edit: BTW I bought a Todd Orr Skyblade knife last time I was in Montana, a thing of beauty.

View attachment 145943
This is great! This is also on my list for things to try this winter. I went to a knife makers meeting and they gave me 3 ferriers rasps and I want to make them into something. I also got a piece of nice cocobolo that I can use for the handle. I am trying to figure out how to anneal the rasps at my house. I have hand files, and I'm going to try to pick up an angle grinder and do something similar. I was going to go for more of a clip point look but make something in the 8-8.5 inch range with about a 4" to 4" ratio. I like it, keep it up!!!

Very amusing, I have already ordered additional steel!
Cheers
Richard
Sorry, pal! Guess it's nothing to joke about. At least you have an "indoor" hobby to fill in with when you can't go hunting. The way things are going around here we may not be far behind!

By the way, all your family doing well?

Nah, we have to try and keep a sense of humour during these times.

We are all good thanks, as are you and yours?

Cheers

Richard

Couple more, my neighbour saw me working in the garage, he wanted a knife for himself and his brother-in-law as a Christmas present.
I tried to put him off the idea, told him I am just starting out but it didn't work, I said in that case just give me a few quid (bucks) for materials.
Still learning but getting there.
Cheers
Richard
20201221_182759.jpg

I haven’t seen one ugly knife on this thread—those are awesome!3097DB42-4628-40AD-8890-7D3EA17DD203.jpeg5251FE9F-7B12-4441-AC0F-360128325381.jpeg Now here’s one I use all the time and it IS an ugly knife

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back