Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bustin' Caps

thomas89

Is the ammunition shortage also impacting the ability to find percussion caps? I have just started shooting an old Hawken I got on here a few years back, and not finding too many primers to replenish my supply.

I probably go through them on about a 2 or 3 to 1 shots fired ratio, as in I drop 2 or 3 for each one that makes it to the nipple.

Searched for a bit online but haven't had much luck finding any.

My father in law has been making his own.. He found info on the internet and bought some sort of die to make them from aluminum cans, then uses black powder(?) and alcohol. He's shot a bunch of them with zero issues. Maybe use them for priming and use the commercial versions for hunting?

Good luck!

You have a problem if you can't make that gun fire every single time.

I assume by "primer" you mean percussion cap. But regardless, unless your caps have lost their compound (Rems are noted for that), then you have a significant gun issue you need to fix. The fix may be simple, but no point in wasting time or supplies until you have it fixed.

If you are just dropping them, then try getting a capper. They will make it much easier for you to get one on. If you are shooting 2-3 and not getting ignition, then you need to clean your nipple or fire hole. A nipple pick will help with that. You may also have the wrong size cap on there.

As for finding them, they've been hard to find like ammo. When I found a bunch of them I bought them all. Same for powder.

You have a problem if you can't make that gun fire every single time.

I assume by "primer" you mean percussion cap. But regardless, unless your caps have lost their compound (Rems are noted for that), then you have a significant gun issue you need to fix. The fix may be simple, but no point in wasting time or supplies until you have it fixed.
Yeah I just am good at dropping them. She goes boom every time. Primers = percussion caps. Think my capping tool is loose or something. Seems to spit an extra cap out. Back in the day I recall little red flat o-ring type deals that help the cap on the nipple tight and kept moisture from getting in there. Won’t even bother starting a search for those.

Back