Alliant Powder availability

44hunter45

I emailed a buddy in the Vista Outdoors tech department today.

He said some interesting things.
1) No, I cannot buy powder from him on poker night. Alliant only sells through distributors. They do not control which retailers the distributors serve first.
Like most ammo and component suppliers, they are working 24x7 to fill their distributor orders. They are legitimately in back-order status. Orders are filled FIFO, regardless of the size of the order.
2) While Vista services DOD ammo contracts, none of them are using Alliant powder. Their DOD contracts may affect primer availability, but not propellant.
3) While many Alliant powders are sourced in Europe, there are no political unrest or import regulation issues impacting Vista's powder supply chain. (Editorial comment: While he addressed import regs and politics, he did not address other possible supply chain issues with the European suppliers.)
4) The only advice Vista can offer end users is to keep watching the shelves.
5) He was aware there are fraudulent online sellers claiming to have product, but just stealing your money when you order.
Vista's relationship is with the distributor, so they have no control over the ethics of retailers. Caveat Emptor

A guy working at Bob Wards recently told me Alliant was awarded a contract with NATO to produce mortar propellants. They still make reloading powders, but the NATO contract is one of the reasons they're so backlogged, their infrastructure hasn't caught up to the increased demand.

Makes sense, but who knows. Like I said, this was just a guy working at a store.

A guy working at Bob Wards recently told me Alliant was awarded a contract with NATO to produce mortar propellants. They still make reloading powders, but the NATO contract is one of the reasons they're so backlogged, their infrastructure hasn't caught up to the increased demand.

Makes sense, but who knows. Like I said, this was just a guy working at a store.
I can't find any contracts for them in FPDS since 2015.

I bought a 5# jug each of RL17 & RL19 when i found out my local distributor had them.
Pricing was almost pre shortage acceptable.

RL26, RL23 & RL33 are unobtainium around here. (Central PA.)
Saw a pound of AR Comp at a LGS yesterday for $60. :eek:

Probably if we knew the truth behind all this shortage we just be p*ssed off. What has really changed? Mostly the price of fuel and based on that everything has gone through the roof!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back