Caribou Gear

Bullets?

gman1

I have always used a nosler partition bullet on big game but see that their are a lot of other copper and bonded bullets out on the market. Will be going on an elk hunt this fall and would like some thoughts from the group as to what would be a good bullet to use.

Thank you for your assistance!!
gman

Sounds like you are already using a great bullet. If that is working in your rifle, don't change.

Good luck.

Thanks Big Fin !! That was what I was thinking too but my son was on that elk reduction program in the Teddy Roosevelt Park this fall in ND and they had to use copper bullets and he said that they really worked good and went throught the shoulder bone and all the elk dropped on the spot. He said that that is the bullet he will be using on elk.

gman

I am rather particular to Hornady, the new GMX, or their SST or Interbond are all solid performers. I also think Barnes makes excellent bullets. In this day and age it is almost harder to find a poor performing bullet. I would think any premium bullet that shoots accurately in your rifle would be the focus of your quest.

Oldskool

My son also mentioned the triple shok as a great bullet? Maybe I should just stay with the nosler partition and let er buck?
gman

If these are shooting well in your rifle, use them. Here is the performance chart of Federal Premium .300Win 180 grain Nosler Partition. It will kill every animal in North America, with no problem.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=283

I understand the copper bullet issue. But, they cost a lot more, and I doubt they work any better. I have some that I used on an AZ Strip mule deer hunt. They were very accurate, but since I passed on every deer, I can't tell you how they performed on animals :).

I use Federal nosler partitions and have used for a good while. No reason for me to chance great for another potential great.

Triplshock suck. Almost blew it on my last bear hunt with them. Great penetration but fmj like performance. Going to throw 80 of them in the garbage. Going back to the speer grandslam. That bullet is hell on bears.

Thanks guys for your help. I will continue with the NP ........... The chart was helpful also. Going walleye fishing on Devils Lake this weekend and hopefully the wind stays down!
gamn

In my experience you have to hit heavy bone for a triple shock to put an animal down on the spot. I shot a cow elk six times in the chest last year before she went down, with triple shocks. Then again I keep shooting until there face is in the dirt.

Triplshock suck. Almost blew it on my last bear hunt with them. Great penetration but fmj like performance. Going to throw 80 of them in the garbage. Going back to the speer grandslam. That bullet is hell on bears.

Don't throw them away, I'll take them off your hands. I love those lousy bullets.

What weight, and caliber are they?

I've been running MRX in my kids .270. Accuracy, and performance is outstanding. I''ve been shooting the TSX in my .280. It's still early yet, I've only taken 4 elk with Barnes, and the kid's shot 2. All bullets expanded, as advertised. I have been impressed. One 6 x 6 bull I shot through both shoulders, and the bullet passed through. I wish I had taken a picture of the heart lung area. He went 2 jumps and was dead. The MRX version is sort of built like the Nosler Partition, with a tungsten alloy metal in the base.

The company tells shooters to go down in bullet weight while using Barnes bullets. They also recommend pushing the velocity as fast as you can. This helps out in the down range performance of the bullets.
http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/mrx-bullet/

I load .53 grain TSX in my .223 WSSM these babies are humming at 4100 fps. I have shot coyotes, but no deer or wolves. YET!

So far so good.

Fin gives good advice, If it aint broke don't fix it.

Last edited:
I've shot 130 gr. barnes tsx and ttsx in my .270 the last 2 years and have taken a total of 13 animals including antelope, muleys, and whitetails with them. None of these animals made it more than about 80 yds with most making it about 30-50 yds. The vital organs have been shredded and blood trails even though i've watched all of these critters go down have been amazing. I'm loading them for my girlfriends .243 this year and for my .300 win mag. for South Africa next summer. Outstanding penetration, accuracy, and devastating wound channels.

I don't think an animal cares much what brand of bullet it was shot with. A good bullet should expand, stay together, blow up or what ever to perform good lethal action. I'm sure for most hunting brands xyz are the best. Now when you look at wind effect on long range shots barnes is lacking density (I think it has to do with less surface area on the bullet for a cross wind to push on) A great round would be a barnes filled with mercury, or gold. However, given the health effects of mercury and the price of gold a guy should look at a lead core in a precision barnes copper jacket...still not available? Barnes understands this concept and uses a tungsten center for one of their bullets....not as dense as lead but allows barnes to maintain their eco lead free status and paints the picture your shooting something a bit more dense than styrofoam.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back