MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bugle Report

I’ve been out three mornings thus far in northern Idaho. Heard my first bugle today at about 830, super weak half bugle.

Had a 5pt bugling tonight. He had 6 cows with him. He didn't sound too enthused, but he did some grunting, and always answered, then went back to eating.

Was in Northern Colorado this weekend. Saw a heard of cows - no bulls.

3 bulls still bachelor'd up (1 big)

no bugles. weird

Finding a cow moose is interesting and are WAY bigger in person up close

Smoke plus mild altitude sickness = MISERABLE!

Lazy bugles and chuckles. Smaller bulls are solo, no bulls with the cows. Not much happening tonight with as hot as it was.

We spent an hour or so in Rocky Mtn Natl Park one evening over the weekend in between other priorities - heard several bugles from one nice bull. He was busy keeping his cows lined up, and keeping a close watch on another couple bulls a little ways away.

I was hunting squirells with my kids between Laramie and Cheyenne this weekend, and there was at least one pretty vocal bull that provided us some entertainment. I tried raking a tree with a big stick to see if we could get him close enough to see, but it got dark before we were successful. Next time we go squirrel hunting, I'm bringing a cow call.

Did a 10 mile trip with Sweetpea and the dogs into Catherine Creek Meadows, (Eagle Cap Wilderness). Only one rig at the trail Head, ran into the bow hunters about 2 miles in. They said it’s been quiet. We didn’t see any elk, bovine sign was plentiful but did hear one elk bugle about 1000 hours. Very very dry and quite warm.

While in beartooths hunting bison heard a few between friday and sunday but likely same bull, sounded like a little raghorn learning and was kind of funny. Surprised with the overnight freezes i didnt hear atleast a few real ones at first light. I will not be able to elk hunt for about 10 more days so hopeful there going strong about 18-20th as usual.

We spent an hour or so in Rocky Mtn Natl Park one evening over the weekend in between other priorities - heard several bugles from one nice bull. He was busy keeping his cows lined up, and keeping a close watch on another couple bulls a little ways away.
Those are vastly different behaving elk than the ones of public land, I can promise you that.

While in beartooths hunting bison heard a few between friday and sunday but likely same bull, sounded like a little raghorn learning and was kind of funny. Surprised with the overnight freezes i didnt hear atleast a few real ones at first light. I will not be able to elk hunt for about 10 more days so hopeful there going strong about 18-20th as usual.
Hunting bison garners only a passing comment! I hope there is more information coming.

I’m laying under a tarp right now listening to bulls ripping back and forth pretty close to me. Tomorrow might be the day.
So awesome!! I depart for the elk woods on Wednesday...so damn excited and I just have a cow tag:) Best of luck everyone!!

Any reports from The ID panhandle? Regions 1 & 2 yet??🙏🏻🙏🏻
I’m lower part of the panhandle. I hunted two more days this week without a peep. Saw my first elk of the season yesterday when I had a raghorn run into about 50 yards right as I was sitting down to have a snack, ugh!

Not sure how wide spread it has been but we had quite a bit of rain last night in eastern Oregon, Union, Wallowa and Umatilla counties. Daytime temps have dropped about 20 degrees as well. Hopefully it is enough to wake them up.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back