Caribou Gear

Buffalo

Elkhunter

This year I am going to put in for a buffalo tag. Now, should I be one of the ones to be drawn, I have been thinking about how one goes about packing a beast like that out. I have seen them right in my camp many times, if that was the case, it would help a lot. I have seen them on the other side of the creek also, which would make it a little more difficult to get out. I have come up with what may be a neasy way, and relatively cheap, and that would be to call a tow truck. A tow truck would also make it easy to load into the bed of a pick up truck, unless they came with the flat bed wrecker, then they could just drop it off at the processor for me. Anyone have any other ideas other than boning it out and making several trips.

Ya could rent about 40-50 dollies, from Rent-A-Center, and have the present Senior class, form the local High Shool, come help, for a mojor donation to the the prom committee.

OR, get up with a local military Reserve unit and have the weekend warriors pack it out, as part of their physical fitness training.

OR, ya do just what Indians used to do. Move yer A$$ to the kill site and stay there untl ya eat the whole D**n thing!

OR, the tow truck idea sounds pretty good!
biggrin.gif

Maybe your horse could drag, in one of those Indian things, more than you could load on him. You need lots of skinners too. I hope its cold enough when you get one, to make it work out.

I put in for a buffalo every year here in Alaska. And have so far been unlucky at drawing. Yes we have several huntable herds here. Only in the Delta hunts could a tow truck be used. Its a wimp hunt compared to the others but I still put in for it as my 3rd choice. The others are far too remote for vehicle access. And yes back packing one out is the only way available. My son in law runs a transporting service for a couple of the remote hunts. He hauls hunters in and out via the rivers. He has hand packed several buffalo to the boat. He says that moose are super easy compared to a buffalo. Kind of like a whitetail compared to a moose. Anyway I'm still waiting to be drawn. We have a fish camp that one herd frequents. So we see them all the time. That is the herd that I want to draw. Last year I when I was rebuilding the wheel I watched a couple of buffalo swim the Copper river. It was absolutely amazing to watch these monsters getting across a large and fast moving river. They do it better then the moose do!Anyway a tow truck unfortunately won't do!

If I can't get the tow truck, I am thinking I will just call Moosie and ELKCHSR to come and help me pack it out.
biggrin.gif

I have read a lot about the caliber to use and many have stated not to use the 45/70 so I may christen my 458 wmag, if I should get drawn that is.

Elkhunter... Depending on the Time of the Year, I'd drive over and Just throw it on my BACK !!

Have Pack, Will travel
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Yep kiwi, I have both. I have taken two elk with the 375 H&H and have taken nothing with the 458, so I will be leaning towards the 458 if I get a buffalo tag.

I'll come over if ya shoot it with a Bow.. Using a rifle is cheating
smile.gif

What do you mean it is cheating. The thing is going to be just as dead from my bullet as he would from a stick. Next you will be saying to kill it with a knife or something.
tongue.gif
Being that I don't do the bow thing, will you come and pack it out if I use my revolver?
tongue.gif

Martin, don't know yet. Last year it opened around the 20th of October and the year before it was during the first week of elk. I depends on where and when they are moving.
confused.gif

I just wanted to tell you that I thought You were UNETHICAL using a Rifle is all
wink.gif
Before Washington hunter beat me too it
elkgrin.gif

Use your Pistol, rifle or Hands.. hell, If I'm Available I'll pack that sucker up and Load it out for ya
biggrin.gif

Just don't use hollowpoints..and you might want to aim for the eyeball.
biggrin.gif

Most important thing is to kill it, so Moosie can pack it out on his back
eek.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-27-2004 22:45: Message edited by: Washington Hunter ]</font>

I hunted buff once and only once in my life. A private herd reduction in Harding County, South Dakota related to drought and costs to bring in hay.

After a long crawl, I was within 125 yards or so and waited for a broadside shot. One 150 gr. Fail Safe bullet from my .308 dropped the bull where he stood. Bullet struck just below the ear and destoyed the brain.

I had a saw and axe in my van. Trailer had a ramp. Wheelbarrow was used to move the pieces to the trailer. It took awhile.

Sold the fresh hide to Prairie Edge in Rapid City for $200. I had the head mounted for $875. and sold it for $1,800. to a steak house in Ohio. We still have some of the meat and buff meat is TOPS!
Jack

I put in too, have a dear friend who got one 3 yrs ago. He said that no matter what, its a bitch. Good part is, if you get one, usually there will enough on lookers around to hopefully help out. Word gets out quickly if a couple get shot at and everybody comes running. I put in for a bull, did you? or a cow?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back