Buffalo in National Forests ?

300wthby

Just out of curiosity, I caught a show on A&E this mornig while getting ready for work. It was on Buffalo and how they are managed in our national parks. Of course it was slanted towards the tree huggers but it started me thinking. Why can't we start working on bringing the herds back like we have done with the elk herds in this country. I would think they would be a more friendlier animal to bring back to the ranchers in the west than say the WOLVES. I don't really have a stand on this issue but am curious to what people think. I did think it was cool on the show how they were trying to make the protesters out to be these great people but when the police showed up they arrested the one in charge for possesion of mushrooms and marijuana. Real credible guy!What do you think? Be kind of fun to pack one of those big boys out from 5 miles back in
smile.gif

We could put them in the National Forests, but they are a plains species, just as the elk WAS. They main problem with these is they can carry many of the same diseases that cattle can. I don't think that the ranchers would like that too much. I would love to see it happen, but too much of their original habitat is crops. Imagine what a herd of those could do to a crop field.

I think 1pointer is right, buffalo arent designed to live in the mountains, so whatever populations exist will remain small.

If it was not for the spreading of the ranchers worst nightmare disease, Bruecellosous(?) I think it would be a good idea. I have run into buffalo in the hills before, every year except this one. They are in the hills in Yellowstone too. They can and will adapt in order to survive, as will the rancher who is loosing to a disease with a hunk of hot lead.

------------------
Elk Hunting 101: Everything You Need To Know About Elk Hunting
www.jacksonholewyoming.net/elk

If it were'nt for ranchers and farmers what would you eat? Sure buffalo are neat but reality has to play a role.

------------------
chewin_md_clr.gif
GatoMan

Well let me throw a little fuel on this one. According to the show there have been only 2 reported cases of brucellosis transfered from wild game to cattle and those were from elk. I agree one of those monsters would due a job on a crop field. Those alfalfa farmers around the Gila think they have it bad now what if they had these critters to deal with. Also I figured ranchers would have a real problem with the competition with grazing cattle. But to switch sides again If there is a faction that would like to see these animals back in the wilds on PUBLIC LAND shouldn't they have some rights too. As far as a plans animal I have seen them in Yellowstone in the mountains. I think they are more grazers and would be where the grass is.

300wby-There are already wild bison roaming in Wyoming. Wyoming even has a drawing for a buffalo hunt or several. There are many buffalo outfits in operation in Wyoming, and the numbers are increasing every year. I think as far as the buffalo goes, they are better off with not too many running wild. How about if they had wolves transplanted in NH??????? Or Buffalo??/ Sounds good to me! Maybe a few grizzly bears too just for kicks. I think New york and all those states back east that cram this kind of thing down our throats should have to transplant a few of these "endangered" species in their back yard first just so they know whats its like before they do it to us! bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

Wow where did that come from. I didn't try to cram anything down your throat! In fact they have tried bringing wolves back in Maine. I don't agree with any of the garbage to do with the wolve reintroduction. Seems to me that my question got under your skin. I have a friend that runs a five thousand acre ranch just outside of Missoula and wouldn't want to see anything happen to his livley hood so don't for one minute think I am anti-rancher. I was just looking for people's thoughts on the subject and sorry if I stepped on your toes.

300wby-You didnt cram anything down MY THROAT OR ANY BODY ELSES!!! Sorry if it sounded that way!! Easterners have jammmed stuff down our throat but I wasnt referring to you!!!!!!! It was a legit question !!!! I think we do get tired of all the endangered species crapola around here and it comes from back east mostly . SOrry if it sounded funny or ya thought I meant you. Definately not!! I enjoy your posts. I do not write well I guess!! bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

I understand. It sounded like you were directing towards me. Believe me though I had no control over were I was born. I feel inlove with Montana long before I ever got a chance to go there. 1996 sealed my fate. I just can't find a piece of land in the town I want to go too. I finally have the wife talked into it but time will tell. Thanks for the explanation.

I should go edit the post 300wby but as long as you know I wasnt directing it to you, I guess i wont bother. I do get fed up with the people back east always forcing their "knowledge" and "wisdom" on us out here! I feel like Gunslinger in that we should draw a line and succeed from the union out west. We can make our own decisions out here just fine without their help. I wish you luck in finding a place out west, it sure beats living in the city area. I wouldnt make it out east!! I have too big a mouth when it comes to my opinion! Or I should say I am opinionated when it comes to some things, and I dont bend easy! I wish we had more buffalo to hunt also. I wouldnt feel good about shooting one in a pen!!! They are a pain to manage tho I guess in the wild! bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

I think it would be great to plant some buffalo in the desert. Make sure they're brucellosis free of course. Maybe in the Red Desert or the area west of Farson. Better yet lets get rid of those stupid "wild" (feral) horses and replace with buffalo.

Blue ticker welcome to Moosies forum!!! Where ya from? I know Wyoming but how close to Encampment Saratoga area? Might know ya!!!! The part about the stupid feral horses isnt a real good subject right now due to the killing of late in the red desert area! That was smart of you not to leave an email or no traces of you with that statement! Ya might be right but there is a reward out and this is the internet!!!! 25000 dollar reward for those killing 40 horses in the last couple weeks! Just trying to keep ya out of trouble whoever ya are!!!! bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

[This message has been edited by bcat (edited 01-19-2001).]

I don't agree with the fellas who shot the horses and I feel they deserve to be punished. But I also don't believe in wild horses. The BLM should round them all up an sell every last one of them. Just wait, the next thing you'll see in Wyoming is some 2 million acre preserve dedicated these damn horses. Of course we'd have to prohibit all hunting on the preserve because of the negative impact man would have on these wonderful creatures. Oil and gas exploration would be out of the question as well.
Question: If I abandon some old nag in the desert, rather than can him, does he now become a wild horse?
BCat, I live over here in the land of the bunnyhuggers and bazillionaires.

[This message has been edited by blueticker (edited 01-20-2001).]

Back