Buffalo Hunt Raffle

WyoDoug

I think this is valid only for Wyoming residents, but an article worth reading, especially if you are a resident and considering a buffalo hunt:

--- cut and paste ---

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) — Wyoming residents have a chance to land a bison hunting license for just $10.

Gov. Mark Gordon, with support from the Wyoming Wildlife Foundation, is raffling off a Governor’s Bison License, which will cost just $10 to the lucky winner.

All Wyoming residents who are eligible to hunt in Wyoming can enter the raffle. Tickets are limited to one per person, and the bison license is non-transferable. The lucky winning ticket will be drawn during Cheyenne Frontier Days.

Article continues below...
Gordon says in a statement that he wants to give any Wyoming citizen who enjoys hunting or who has ever considered hunting a chance to experience this time-honored Wyoming tradition.

Proceeds of all raffle sales will go back to supporting Wyoming’s wildlife and habitats.

To enter the raffle, or for more information, visit www.wyomingwildlifefoundation.org

Article is cut and pasted from Oil City News website.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew this was coming after we met with Governor Gordon this past winter. He said he wanted to give at least one Governors tag to a Wyoming Resident only raffle that was affordable for anyone.

I think its great to see a Governor looking out for the Resident hunters of average means, and keeping the playing field level by limiting it to one chance per person. It gets tiresome watching the well-heeled cut the line every year.

I hope its a sheep tag next year.

I knew this was coming after we met with Governor Gordon this past winter. He said he wanted to give at least one Governors tag to a Wyoming Resident only raffle that was affordable for anyone.

I think its great to see a Governor looking out for the Resident hunters of average means, and keeping the playing field level by limiting it to one chance per person. It gets tiresome watching the well-heeled cut the line every year.

I hope its a sheep tag next year.

I want to start putting in for a buffalo hunt but I am one of those that hates outfitted hunts with a passion. I would be interested in a group of guys that wanted to go for buffalo starting next year. It takes about 4-5 points for a resident draw from what I understand. And I think that is one where residents draw preference points on. Then I want to do a once in a lifetime moose hunt.

My problem if I were to draw is I would have to beg some people to come bird dog for me and help get the dang thing out. I got a foul taste in my mouth for outfitters and prefer on my own or with a few buddies, but packing out a buffalo is an enormous task for someone my age.

Tag n Drag will haul it out for a very reasonable amount considering the alternative

I want to start putting in for a buffalo hunt but I am one of those that hates outfitted hunts with a passion. I would be interested in a group of guys that wanted to go for buffalo starting next year. It takes about 4-5 points for a resident draw from what I understand. And I think that is one where residents draw preference points on. Then I want to do a once in a lifetime moose hunt.

There are no preference points or party drawing for Bison in Wyoming. The odds to draw are single digits for an "any" tag and you are in the same random pool every year. When you draw, you are "life-timed" out.

Moose, on the other hand, is a PP species and you cannot have more than one moose tag in a five year period.

There are no preference points or party drawing for Bison in Wyoming. The odds to draw are single digits for an "any" tag and you are in the same random pool every year. When you draw, you are "life-timed" out.

Moose, on the other hand, is a PP species and you cannot have more than one moose tag in a five year period.

Yeah I know. I hate that. I wish Wyoming will go back to preference point system for residents and give those who don't draw a better chance the following years.

Yeah I know. I hate that. I wish Wyoming will go back to preference point system for residents and give those who don't draw a better chance the following years.

I see what you are saying, but there are lots of threads here that reveal some distinct downsides to the preference point system. Even if they moved to a preference point system, I would advocate for at least 50% of the tags to still be in a random draw.

I see what you are saying, but there are lots of threads here that reveal some distinct downsides to the preference point system. Even if they moved to a preference point system, I would advocate for at least 50% of the tags to still be in a random draw.

I just might go to next years game commissioners meeting to advocate bring back a modified version of the draw. I think Colorado does that which is where I got addicted to preference points and only way I stood a chance on drawing buck antelope for the area I hunted when I lived there. At least a portion should go based on preference points.

What I am after is a more equitable system. It ought not be one person drawing almost every year but another putting in every year and drawing only every 3-5 years.

What I am after is a more equitable system. It ought not be one person drawing almost every year but another putting in every year and drawing only every 3-5 years.

Honestly, you really don't want a preference point system. Sure a lottery can seem capricious but you create a system that's impossible to get rid of and turns into a disaster.

Take a look at your preference point system for NR. My father-n-law has been trying to draw 67 for the last 5 years but every year the number of points it takes to draw creeps up by 1. It doesn't seem like a huge issue right now as WY has such a low population, but that will change and when it does you will be saddling the next generation terrible system.

If anything you should ask for a 1 or 2 year waiting period after a successful draw, so that someone can't draw year after year.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back