Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

budget tent ideas

firek920

I am in the process of looking for a tent. I have a trip planned for WY in middle of September. After the coast of everything I have purchased the funds are a little low. Any recommendations for tents under $200? There will only be two of us staying in the tent. Any other camp suggestions for me to look at for cooking and such would be great. I have never taken a trip out west and have done very little camping in general. Thanks

Get creative with a cheap blue tarp or look for something used on CL, Ebay, garage sales, etc....

Last edited:
MountainSmith LT. Got mine for about 80 bucks. Pitches with trekking poles or sticks. Its better suited as a one person, but can fit two in a pinch.

I plan on using it all of September, and on later season hunts (once I get a stove jack sewn in )

I have been looking at a few cheaper tents at the big box stores would those be a waste of money? Would they hold up to a week of wind, rain......

I have been looking at a few cheaper tents at the big box stores would those be a waste of money? Would they hold up to a week of wind, rain......

Short answer is yes they are a waste....if you hit any real weather you will be in a sorry state. Spent a miserable weekend as a scout soaked in a cheap tent (thankfully it was summer in GA) and vowed to never do that again. Better off getting a used, GOOD, tent.

I had a Eureka tent that lasted 15 years. I used it for all of my fieldwork on the Yellowstone River, which included over 200 nights during a four year period. It held up to the rain and wind till its dying day. The sand finally got the best of one of the zippers. Other than that, I never had any problems with it. Almost all of our their two man tents are substantially less than $200. I haven't used any of their newer tents, so I can't assure you that they've maintained the same quality over the years.

Cheap tents and Wyoming don't mix well.

I just use a jet boil and a Coleman propane stove or a portable grate over open fire for most of my cooking while pronghorn hunting.

8475bad_tent2.JPG
[/IMG]

lope13wyo052_zpsbf21e127.jpg

My Cabela's Outback tent has work well though.
lope13wyo049_zps642573ae.jpg

Last edited:
I was just about to reccommend Kelty. I think their stuff is a good bang for your buck.

A Grand Mesa 3 wouldn't be bad.

Last edited:
I've been using the same walmart 50 dollar tent for truck camping for 10-12 years. It's bombproof. It's maybe got a 40 ft2 footprint but probably weighs 30 pounds. It's more of a tarp like material than a nylon.

I had a Eureka tent that lasted 15 years. I used it for all of my fieldwork on the Yellowstone River, which included over 200 nights during a four year period. It held up to the rain and wind till its dying day. The sand finally got the best of one of the zippers. Other than that, I never had any problems with it. Almost all of our their two man tents are substantially less than $200. I haven't used any of their newer tents, so I can't assure you that they've maintained the same quality over the years.

The timberline 2 was our go to in scouts. Simple, a little heavy, but was a prime-time performer.

Have had a Kelty Gunnison for over 8 years now and it's held up to Wyoming wind, Montana rain and my gas. Well made tent for the money.

The key piece of info is missing for me. Are you carrying the tent and backpacking? Then the less weight costs money. In bow season i carry a tarp. Late season gets more difficult and a tent is worth it.)

for $200 your pretty limited at this point. september in wyoming means; snow wind rain and more wind, you can get a 2man backpacking tent that will stand up to those elements but if your looking for a larger base camp tent, sleep in your truck.

Check out the outlet mall at rei, they have some really great tents on sale right now. Many in that low 200 range or cheaper. I like the gunnison 3.2 but the taj 3 may be the best deal for a hunting tent. Also check out the alps mountaineering taurus outfitter pro tents on amazon. They have heavier zippers and heavier floors than normal backpacking tents. Good luck!

Back