Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Broadheads

You might need to be more specific with your question but I'm assuming you're asking "what broadheads should you use for elk?"

This is a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs Toyota vs Jeep kind of discussion. I use 125grain Magnus Stinger (with bleeders) previously used Muzzy 3 blades. The Magnus blades shoot great for me and my bow. There are arguments for using 2 blade, 3 blade, and 4 blade. The trend I've noticed is using 2 blade single bevel broadheads. I won't claim to understand any of the perceived science behind broadhead design and suggest spending sometime looking and testing if at all possible.

1 thing I will say is I don't like mechanical broadheads. I don't have any personal experience with them but I read a lot of poor penetration and lost animal stories. I've also read stories of 1 blade opening in flight causing a lot of planing. Again this is all 2nd hand experience so YMMV.

As long as there sharp and shoot well out of your bow i don't think there's a wrong broadhead everything else is in your head. That being said I shoot exodus, they group the best for me and there built very strong. Don't over think it, find a sharp head that groups well and don't look back.

I'm going with Viper Tricks this year. I shot a couple elk with the old Tekken II's, but they're not made anymore. I decided to try Steelheads in their place, but didn't really care for them; and then I had a bull jump the string at 25yds, turning toward me - it was not a good hit obviously, but the arrow didn't penetrate very far, I litteraly found zero blood and... Lost the bull. I've beat myself up over that for months. Anyway, it wasn't entirely the broadhead's fault, but I did decide to go back to fixed blades after that.

I shoot Iron Will broadheads. Suggest doing a little research on them as a lot of "high end" archers love them. They are one of the more expensive heads around and for good reason if you are willing to read up on how they are made and compare with others.

Muzzy 100’s and QAD Exodus have worked well for me. I have also shot one deer with a rage expandable. It worked exactly flawlessly and did its job. However expandables skeez me out and that one was the first, last, and only animal I have shot with them. The Muzzy’s and the Exodus are fool proof.

Rage 3 blades for turkeys (the ONLY thing I will shoot with them) Slick trick 125 grain magnums from my compound and 125 grain Muzzy phantoms from my recurve.

Would love to try viper tricks... I like Solids( before they were 40 bucks a piece)
And also like iron will... Would like to try iron wills solid version to reduce noise potentially

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back