Bro, Do You Even Lift? (Off-season ways to stay in shape)

To be 100% honest the pics I posted on page 2 were from the unspeakable cult :p...also today I had a vegetarian salad with lunch:ROFLMAO:
I love me a good vegetarian meal from time to time. Actually eating Wraps right now filled with Dr Prager patties

I think Im going to change my whole hunting game plan and instead of getting in shape,pratice shooting my bow/gun
Im going to start a whole new scouting tactic of looking for low elevation places where the most older animals with dementia are located
Yup thats the ticket

130 lbs, just 3 reps.

Monday I could have quartered a buck but thought I’d drag it out for a little extra exercise. 1/2 mile downhill through snow wasn’t bad, but I still got my reps in. Rep 1 was to hoist up an 8’ vertical creek cut, rep 2 onto the tailgate, and rep 3 by the legs to tie to the rafters.
DCABCF97-65DE-45BC-84FF-76E33EFCEB08.jpeg

Got to fuel the machine too for my elk hunt Saturday. Maple brown sugar and champagne venison heart for breakfast today.
A0204163-F5A2-4F5C-B596-3E9248897580.jpeg

At age 65 endurance is so important...it is a long day in Aug/Sept in Alaska
and day after day after day, I find endurance more important than strength.
I've had some guest hunters that were avid weight lifters burn out in 8 hours of hiking.

So I mostly work on building up my hiking mileage over the winter, mixing in shorter
days on steep slopes. One nice thing about hiking all winter is dialing in the backpacks
in terms of fit and weight distribution, etc.

Then in the summer long distance backpacking at least twice a week.
I do exercise outside almost every day. Now retired, there is no excuse about not enough time.
If there is too much snow, I cross country ski. Also cutting firewood in the winter, biking in the summer.

I'm coming 71 this spring, so no spring chicken here. About six years ago, I began lifting weights on a regular basis. I was surprised a bit that it was enjoyable. At a younger age, it always seemed kind of boring.

Anyway I do a upper body lower body split workout. For upper body I do overhead press, weighted pull-ups and bench press. The lower body split is squats and trap bar deadlifts. I ditched the straight bar for deadlifting maybe three years ago. I'm fairly tall with long legs. Every few months, I'd pull a rep a little out of sync and then have my back barking for a couple of weeks.

I do it as intensely as possible, working in the 8 to 10 rep range. Pre covid the working rep range was lower but not having a spotter for the bench, started the switch. I ditched the treadmill at the gym once covid hit. One it was BORING and two, it seemed like the chance of catching covid was higher, spending a half-hour walking a few feet from another person.

Started working out 6 days a week about 2.5 years ago. Started with 30 push ups before a shower and now is about 30 minutes long each day. I do a lot of body weight exercises, pullups are the best. I also do yoga and Pilates hit workouts. Those hit workouts are the best.

Beer league hockey and BB squats are usually enough to keep me from falling apart, and after that I don't sweat it too much. I could be absolutely be in better shape, but I'm not trying to win any strongman awards. I just want to do things that I can be proud of with people I enjoy.

I have to get back into it. I planned a big hiking trip this spring so its time to get a little more serious. Keep starting and stopping.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back