Bro, Do You Even Lift? (Off-season ways to stay in shape)

Light jogging and lifting when my joints feel up to it, and lots of jiu-jitsu. Also some weighted hikes here and there. Jiu-Jitsu is nice cause it gets my cardio where it needs to be, but it also wrecks my feet sometimes.

Being one who has learned, multiple times, that doing it on my own simply won't happen, I need the class environment for motivation/peer pressure, so:

- Spinning instructor (which adds extra motivation when I don't want to go, I have to!) twice a week
- HIIT based body weight class twice a week, usually followed by some lifting (muscle helps burn fat)

Other than that, snowshoeing, hiking, golfing (no cart, ever), and just work around the house.

Though right now, on week 5 of a 5 week business trip, so normal routine out the window, add Covid for a week and poof, totally out of shape. Helped my son shovel some very wet snow yesterday and about died.

The excercise is also an important part of BP, stress and cholesterol control.

Gym is closed due to COVID. Back into regimen on the basement stairs and sit-ups but seem to be losing ground a bit. No pushups or weights. I ruined my elbows years ago packing horses. Doesn't take much before I'm up all night running hot water on them and inhaling painkillers. Sure has put a dent in my fly fishing.

I'm not a serious runner, but train every summer/early fall to get back to where I can jog 4-5 miles. At nearly 50 I was getting around MT hills better than some 30 year olds on our trip this year. Also, plenty of steps where I work, this helps too.

I get to hunt all year so keep pretty fit all year round. But I also do endurance type evets, and next month I am doing a 2 day race across New Zealand. 20+ hrs of biking, trail running and kayaking, so a lot of suffering which is great hunt preparation :)

I cut and split alot of wood, good workout there.

Do alot of hiking w/the pack all year long and the wife goes with, I almost always tie it into an elk hunting location so I can do boots on the ground scouting and getting to know the terrain.

and if I'm feeling really fat and lazy I'll run the hill behind the house up& down for 20-30 minutes

As a side note i
You could've just PM'd for pictures of me squatting instead of starting a thread...
Honestly I was hoping no one would post pictures of the gym. I can’t stand being inside so I have to do things outside to stay in shape. But if I want some I’ll make sure to PM you next time I get the itch for gym pics

Hanging around in caves keeps me reasonably fit...
full

As a side note i

Honestly I was hoping no one would post pictures of the gym. I can’t stand being inside so I have to do things outside to stay in shape. But if I want some I’ll make sure to PM you next time I get the itch for gym pics

In all seriousness, I'm the same. I do most of my workouts outside; loadbearing marches, hikes, sports and I do a lot at work too, just last week I had to pull a 300lb person up stairs on a spine board...

In all seriousness, I'm the same. I do most of my workouts outside; loadbearing marches, hikes, sports and I do a lot at work too, just last week I had to pull a 300lb person up stairs on a spine board...
Ah yes, carrying the largesse off the mountain on a backboard gym. I do not miss that.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back