Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bro, Do You Even Lift? (Off-season ways to stay in shape)

Winter is when I lift. Once the snow breaks I start hiking a lot and doing a trail loop with 50lbs in a pack.
What do you put in your pack to add weight? I've seen some guys do sand bags, or even attach lifting plates. I'd like to start doing this in the spring.

What do you put in your pack to add weight? I've seen some guys do sand bags, or even attach lifting plates. I'd like to start doing this in the spring.
I’ve got two 25lb bags of rock salt inside another bag. I need to find a new bag for the salt so I can stack them more vertically and less horizontally. May end up with a crazy duct tape wrap

I used to lift a lot more and I'm trying to get back into that for general health and strength. I favor "heavy" lifting with reps in the 3 - 8 range and 3 - 5 sets. My days revolve around a specific lift with accessory work kind of like a 5x5 program or a 5/3/1 program. The main/specific lifts I focus on are deadlifts, squats, overhead presses, and bench press. Everything else is basically accessory work. I shoot to lift 3 days/week.

I also recently picked up a rowing machine for cardio on off lifting days and to warm up for lifting since my garage is awful cold this time of year.

So yesterday I did 5 minutes on the rowing machine to warm up and then did the following:
  • Squats:
    • 3 warm up sets with increasing weight
    • 3 working sets of a goal of 5 reps each. I hit all reps so I'll increase next week.
  • Incline bench press:
    • 5 working sets with reps increasing to set 3 and then decreasing again.
Tomorrow my main lift will be deadlifts with rows and overhead presses as accessories.

Winter is definitely hard for me to keep up the routine. Rowing machine for 20 minutes 5 days a week. Elliptical for 20 minutes. In a month or so I'll add a 50 lb pack. My 15yr old is just getting me into lifting with him so we'll see how that goes. Also walk this girl a couple miles every day.
1642522099545.png

In the summer I filled a 5-gal bucket with sand and left it in the sun to dry. then added it to a heavy weight roll top dry bag.

Im 59 so I hit the treadmill n lift weights but I do lighter weights higher reps, as soon as weather warms up some I load my pack with 40 lbs of cement and hike
Always careful to not push to hard dont want an injury I dont need to be the fastest just need to get to where I need to be
besides any of you young buck ahead of me going up a mountain a well placed broadhead in your butt will slow ya down lol

The gym is under the indoor mask mandate so I'm not going. I have a hard enough time huffing and puffing there without adding a mask. So I do push ups at home and hike with my pack on. The pack's loaded with water, kill kit, game bags, first aid and assorted necessities for a morning/midday hunt, minus my bow. My wife took this in the last couple of weeks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211225-175650_Amazon Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211225-175650_Amazon Photos.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 20
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back