Breaking Game Laws THEN Uploading It To YouTube?

I understand the "limiting technology in archery". That said a lighted nock doesn't do anything to assist the hunter in taking game; only recovery. In my opinion its a responsible step to take. Unfortunately i am not a LEO in Idaho or a citizen that can lobby to change it. To me the publicity that the state of Idaho is getting from this self reported accident is far better than punishing a man for an honest mistake.

Just out of curiosity, how many hunters would contact the fish and game and "turn themselves in" in this situation or just ride it out and hope they don't get busted? Especially knowing that the violation is publicly known.

The ol’, would you steal bread to feed your family schtick!?

In all seriousness, personally I have only made “minor” violations, and often would lose sleep over it. But never enough to self-report. If it were known to the public or I have an inkling someone else saw/knew, I’d self report in a heart beat. When you put it down on paper like that, I appear as a sack of excrement.

I truly think I would not lie if confronted with a violation. I also have made donations to “atone” for some of my misdeeds in the past.

Good question! Be curious if anyone else replies!

Just out of curiosity, how many hunters would contact the fish and game and "turn themselves in" in this situation or just ride it out and hope they don't get busted? Especially knowing that the violation is publicly known.
I hope I never do something accidentally that I haft.. but about all I've hunted is my home state and havnt had to try remembering and following the rules of a bunch of the states yet when it comes to hunting. But owning up would be so much better if you realized you did something than if someone else saw it and turned you in

I’m bummed I can’t watch the hunts on video. I watch all of Marcus’ content and he’s truly a class act. Thanks @Big Fin for taking the rap for this one, and also for being merciful, and recognizing Marcus’ best intentions and honest, albeit costly, mistake.

Years ago I set out my waterfowl decoys at 11:15 PM on IA public before the opener. This was for a youth hunt I was hosting. I had no clue the legal start time was 12:00 AM. 3 boats showed up at the proper time, and one guy from one of the groups completely lost his mind at my transgression. He swore at me up and down, threatened me with everything he could think of, and even repeatedly got right up in my face trying to get me to take a swing at him. But I was 100% in the wrong, and there wasn’t a damn thing I could do to make it right, because I couldn’t rewind time and take it back. Obviously I didn’t have film production to worry about, but here’s this youth hunter wondering what the hell he got himself wrapped up in. He was completely silent through the whole ordeal, and later told me he just didn’t want to be physically attacked by the irate hunter.

To anyone who is willing to cast the first stone at Marcus and/or Randy...please consider the whole body of work these guys do, what they stand for, and the very high standard of uncompromising integrity they uphold. This is something we should aspire to. We all make mistakes, completely honest ones, and we are better off as sportsmen and women when we can extend mercy towards the best among us, and offer a message of encouragement and support.

Any doubts here...seriously go through and watch all of Marcus’ content and you’ll see what his values and character truly are.

For this? I wouldn't turn myself in, not gonna lie. Accidentally shoot the wrong animal, I'm calling right away.

Marcus is a key employee who tries his to do everything at his highest level. I will support him, no matter what kind outcomes may develop.
If there was any doubt the kind of person/boss/mentor BigFin is to his crew - I think this pretty well sums it up.

Obviously a very honest mistake by a top notch group. I would be interested in how IDFG handles this...I agree with wilm1313, something that would be pretty cool, and turn this into an educational opportunity...do a short youtube video with a warden and talk through what a hunter should do if they make a mistake in the field (from minor (e.g., lighted nocks) to more serious mistakes).

Watched the latest video on the mule deer hunt in ID...

Lighted nocks have been a illegal method of take in Idaho for quite a while.

Curious choice to upload footage like that after the fact.

Hopefully there is something else going on that is explained in the next video. Would hate for this to be another Ted Nugent ordeal.

This would be so much better as a polite PM, but let's blast it on the internet instead. Where have all the manners gone? :rolleyes:

This would be so much better as a polite PM, but let's blast it on the internet instead. Where have all the manners gone? :rolleyes:

The amount of hot heads on the internet and forums still seem to out weigh the amount of hotheads I run into in the field. Seems the risk of getting hit in the mouth for being a knob is mitigated when using a computer screen.

I personally like that this is a platform where mistakes of all levels can be brought to light.
Yes, the OP could have worded it differently, but sweeping violations (accidental or volitional) under the rug because of past good deeds is not a healthy thing for any community.
I really appreciate Randy's willingness to let his dirty laundry be aired out so publicly in order to emulate this accountability and to provide a learning opportunity for all of us. If the violation was committed by a random hunter in the woods then talking to them one on one is almost assuredly the best response. Because of the nature of the Fresh Tracks platforms little violations like this just disappearing or never being talked about could easily make young hunters think it's ok to play loose with the Regs.
The original post and Randy/Marcus' response have given us all a great look at how situations like this should be handled and the standards to which (I believe) Randy and Fresh Tracks hold themselves even when no one is watching.

Honestly...

I think this would be a good YouTube episode, mistakes happen how to handle them the right way. Way to many people panic and make things worse for themselves.
To highlight how to handle mistakes, for sure. But by default such a video becomes a lightning rod of criticism because the view count is monetized plus you have the sponsors to consider. It becomes a black and white issue in terms of conflict of interest at that point. If I’m GoHunt, etc, I sure as heck don’t want a poaching video out there listing me as a sponsor. Poaching is a very strong word, but unfortunately I believe that’s what using lighted knocks to hunt deer in ID with amounts to, regardless of intent or foreknowledge.

What I think could be done, and I think would be neat to see, but not necessarily called for, is a post-hunt interview explaining the situation, how it was handled, and the aftermath. No actual hunt footage shown. I think that goes to promote the brand and the message at the risk of the kind of “hyper-groveling” our quick-to-judge internet culture always demands in our post-Oprah world.

I personally like that this is a platform where mistakes of all levels can be brought to light.
Yes, the OP could have worded it differently, but sweeping violations (accidental or volitional) under the rug because of past good deeds is not a healthy thing for any community.
I really appreciate Randy's willingness to let his dirty laundry be aired out so publicly in order to emulate this accountability and to provide a learning opportunity for all of us. If the violation was committed by a random hunter in the woods then talking to them one on one is almost assuredly the best response. Because of the nature of the Fresh Tracks platforms little violations like this just disappearing or never being talked about could easily make young hunters think it's ok to play loose with the Regs.
The original post and Randy/Marcus' response have given us all a great look at how situations like this should be handled and the standards to which (I believe) Randy and Fresh Tracks hold themselves even when no one is watching.
"THIS", well said!

@Big Fin Thanks for your integrity and for you and Marcus taking ownership of the issue no matter how significant the issue was. I have been trying to teach my kids this same principal, that no matter how big or little an issue is or if they do something knowingly or unknowingly they are better off to just fess up and say I screwed than to try and hide the issue. So thanks for the great example. Hope to hear what Boise says after you talk to them.

On another note, I think Marcus and Michael might need to be reprimanded for letting some grouse go. With the culinary guru that Marcus is, he could have turned this into a cooking episode on cooking up a grouse in the backcountry.

It was an accident, and a pretty minimal one at that. I don’t like this thread and will be happy when it disappears.

Last edited:
Shock horror, a human has made a mistake, that just doesn't happen does it?!
We are so perfect!
As we well know the last person would be Randy, Marcus or any of his colleagues would knowingly do anything illegal, as said above it could be turned around to make it educational' even the best get things wrong....sometimes.'

For me not living in the US and experiencing the rules and regs it's a nightmare, the last thing I would want to do is break any law, but they can be so damned complicated, then mix in differing states and it's no surprise to me mistakes happen, and a lighted knock, that's a mystery to me (who doesn't bow hunt) what the problem is.

Cheers

Richard

simple mistake being handled the right way by men of character. Thank you for the demonstration in humility and honor. Time permitted I have no doubt the issue would have been discovered by Mr. Newberg or Mr. Hockett (I ain't met them personally yet and my ancestors would come out of the grave and get me if I don't mind my manners) and handled exactly the way its being handled.

First off, kudos for Marcus and BigFin for being stand up guys about this.

There are tens of thousands of laws and regulations governing every aspect of modern life. Every American breaks at least one a day I suspect. Maybe it's time that our elected officials start reducing the "nanny state". Poach a buck out of season - definitely worth a rule. Take too many fish - definitely rule worthy. Lighted knock or where/how you attach your tag to an otherwise lawfully harvested buck add little to nothing to the well being of our wildlife and just create a thicket of rules to trip up the well-intentioned. If your 10 yr old son/daughter is trying to learn to field dress their first animal and accidentally nick the guts and cover a tenderloin in goo, is leaving that smal piece of tainted meat in the field really a game violation - probably yes in some states - but ridiculous over-application of the regulatory state in my view. YMMV.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back