Breaking Game Laws THEN Uploading It To YouTube?

Honestly...

I think this would be a good YouTube episode, mistakes happen how to handle them the right way. Way to many people panic and make things worse for themselves.
I think you are not taking onto account the down side of that, which a heck of lot bigger than your 'teachable moment'

was a stamp that was required that I missed the first time.
Dad and I had the same happen to us in NM. Luckily, we discovered we'd missed it and were able to get them before our first day of the hunt when I realized the mistake. Things definitely will and do happen.

Last edited:
Nothing can be done other than admit it was a mistake, take the video down, and let it go down whatever path happens. If folks point it out to authorities and we get in trouble, we will deal with whatever that outcome is. Not hiding anything. Many folks have emailed me. I have told them the same as what I provided here.

If people point this out to the authorities, they need to be smacked upside the head with a bad of lighted nocks. They're just being an dick head at that point. It was a mistake and they happen. I can't imagine that this would even register on most peoples "give-a-shit" meter.

Good luck on the hunts.

A lighted knock mistake doesn’t bother me one bit. I do understand that sportsmen should follow game laws, etc.

G&F at the Fresh Tracks office.

giphy.gif

Back when the state was transitioning to nontoxic shot, in part of the state you could still use lead and in other parts you couldn't. I was hunting in a nontoxic area but hadn't checked the pockets of my parka since the year before. I never even new the two lead shells were there until the game officer put a magnet to them. He knew it was an innocent mistake but fined me 25 bucks a shell anyway. I mailed a 50 dollar check and an explanation of my innocent mistake to the court. The judge lowered the fine to 25 dollars and sent me a check for 35 dollars back. I thought about sending him a gotcha letter about the innocent mistake he made with the states money but then decided I would be better off just keeping it to myself.

I was fortunate to watch the episodes. Being from WI I had not idea of this BS law. Even though I have never met Big Fin or Marcus you can tell they are both stand up guys. I commend you both for taking ownership of the "mistake". I am involved in the hunting industry on a different level and I can tell you first hand we need more people like Big Fin and Marcus. I hope to meet you in person some day and say THANK YOU for all you do for our industry.

i noticed steve rinella put his tag in the wrong place on a dead deer once in colorado. i don't even think that made it so far as a forum post. and in terms of what's a big deal i don't see this any differently. as in, who really cares?

i suspect idaho g&f will have a nice laugh and say "thanks for taking the video down randy, don't do it again" and it'll be over. good to call them about it.

but a nice article in any publication of your choice with some headline along the lines of "celebrity big game hunter flaunts hunting laws in idaho and tried to hide it" is a big deal, no matter how small the infraction

This was a seriously stupid issue for the OP to point out publicly. A quick note to Randy would have been the upstanding thing to do, in my opinion.

For the rest of us, when we're tempted to publicly call out someone for doing something wrong, let's take a second to ask ourselves why we feel the need to do it publicly. Is it pride, or maybe spite? Whatever the reason, let's use it as an opportunity to grow a bit as human beings.

Jeez, I wouldn’t even think of checking to see whether lighted nocks are illegal. For the life of me, I don’t see what advantage they would ever give a hunter in taking game. Only purpose is to see point of impact and find your arrow afterwards. ID bow hunters should clamor to get that useless law changed.

A direct message leading to a couple of newly missing episodes would probably attract some suspicious attention from consumers of the content. Whether it's necessary or not (it's not, in Randy's case) an open conversation forces transparency on the issue, a good thing, and only creates more respect for these 2 men, in my own opinion, handling the situation in the correct way. A positive outcome for a very minor and easily overlooked infraction committed without malicious intention. Respect @Big Fin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back