Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Brake Installation

I use brakes but also wouldn't have a boy use one. Too easy to forget to put hearing protection back in at the range or before first shot (presuming range is empty). Look at .223, 6.5's, etc. or really learn the ballistics of 30-06, or some other solution.

Do you have a limbsaver or equivalent on the Tikka now?

It has a Limbsaver pad on it now.

Check out APA Brakes. The Answer and Gen 3 Little Bastard are both user installed and do require a gunsmith to time them. Easy on and off for switching guns, shooters, hunting vs range, etc.

Check out APA Brakes. The Answer and Gen 3 Little Bastard are both user installed and do require a gunsmith to time them. Easy on and off for switching guns, shooters, hunting vs range, etc.
His problem is going to be having the thin sporter barrel properly thread for use with those brake. FWIW - I love my Gen3 LB.

It has a Limbsaver pad on it now.

Caldwell make a "Magnum Plus" shoulder pad for range use if that helps. But my son loved with I put the Witt brake on my 300WSM when he was younger. If you watch for sales you can get them for $65 and pitch it when you are done with it - no harm no foul.

I appreciate all the info. I ended up ordering a nice Trijicon scope for the 30-06. We'll load up some Nosler BT's for practice and teach him to dial with a ballistic card. He's proficient out to 200 yards, but we'll extend that through practice out to 500 yards.

What?!? I can’t hear you!!!

Just kidding... kinda

I seriously despise brakes on rifles. My brother has a few rifles with brakes, and even with hearing protection the concussion is no fun at all when he touches a round off. I won’t hunt near him when he has a braked rifle because I know that I will likely experience permanent hearing loss if he fires it with me around. I don’t worry about that with non-braked rifles

My daughter used a 30-06 with hand loaded youth loads to kill a deer at the age of 11. She has killed all of her others with a .270 or .308 and youth loads. She will be using an intermediate load this year of a 130 NAB from a .270 at 2800ish FPS. She will be 14 this season.

Handloading gives you lots of options.

Last edited:
I posted my anti brake post because it destroyed my hearing. My go to rifle is a Browning A bolt .338 with a muzzle brake. Bought it for my first oryx hunt. I love that rifle and still hunt with it after 30 years.

Within the first year, I noticed significant hearing loss. I bought an electronic hear to shield my hearing, but in the heat of the moment, I did forget at times.

A 12 year old is probably as excitable as I. Not worth the hearing loss.

A brake requires the discipline to use hearing protection. If you hunt 20 years without it, change is hard.

Not worth a 12 year old's hearing.

Not to detract from your original question about a brake- but have you considered a suppressor if you're already looking to thread the barrel? It's not as significant of a recoil reduction, but it does take a good portion of recoil off, not to mention the added benefit of reducing the peak noise, which also helps for flinching. I know the cost and wait time are both considerably more than a brake, and I don't know what your state says about hunting with one, but it's another alternative. I don't have one for my personal rifles, but have shot suppressed rifles with work- it made me consider the option for my Tikka, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet- the cost is certainly a factor, as is the fact I'm impatient and the wait time would drive me nuts. The added barrel length and weight are also factors depending on your hunting style.

Not to detract from your original question about a brake- but have you considered a suppressor if you're already looking to thread the barrel? It's not as significant of a recoil reduction, but it does take a good portion of recoil off, not to mention the added benefit of reducing the peak noise, which also helps for flinching. I know the cost and wait time are both considerably more than a brake, and I don't know what your state says about hunting with one, but it's another alternative. I don't have one for my personal rifles, but have shot suppressed rifles with work- it made me consider the option for my Tikka, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet- the cost is certainly a factor, as is the fact I'm impatient and the wait time would drive me nuts. The added barrel length and weight are also factors depending on your hunting style.

Tikka T3/T3X in .284 & .308 caliber cartridges aren’t great hosts for threaded suppressors given their thin barrels. If I decide to thread mine it will bedone in conjunction with a barrel change.

Tikka T3/T3X in .284 & .308 caliber cartridges aren’t great hosts for threaded suppressors given their thin barrels. If I decide to thread mine it will bedone in conjunction with a barrel change.
That's a great point, and certainly something I'll note myself for my 7mm.

That's a great point, and certainly something I'll note myself for my 7mm.
The bottom half of this page is useful when considering threading a sporter barrel.

Lots of guys are using them, just having them trimmed shorter before threading if going direct or using an adapter. If I were in that mode, I'd just cut the barrel back.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back