Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Boys of Summer

Gerald Martin

I just got back from a couple days in muley country. I'm wondering if any of these would be worth notching a tag for? Any ideas on score? I'd be interested in hearing some feedback from some of you guys more experienced with mule deer.

Hope you enjoy the footage!

https://vimeo.com/47347475

Wow, if they're in a general unit, I'd be all keeping a real close eye on that last group.

I'm not great on score but I'd have to think the bigger 2 of 3 are both right around 170?
It'd be hard picking between the narrow one with extras and the big typical.

If they're hunt-able I'm pulling for you to make it happen.

From 1:30 on that group of 3 got my blood pumping. Tall-Narrow-Trashy looks off in the left hind. We should put him out of his misery me-thinks.

You seem to take a lot of pride in your filming and editing. Well done.

Some nice looking bucks. Good job. I watched the griz video as well and enjoyed it. We used to hunt up there quite a bit for spring bear and we never knew if we were going to see a blackie, a griz or a moose up close and personal. Fun hunting up there though.

Help a flatlander out.....the whitetail guys think they can age a buck by depth of chest, "roman" nose, etc. How about mulies? Any guides in aging a buck?

.....Oh yeah, nice video work Gerald Martin. There may be nube PM requests coming for for GPS lat/long or at least trail-head info:). Beautiful deer.

There may be nube PM requests coming for for GPS lat/long or at least trail-head info

Kansasdad- I'll be happy to help out any nube PM requests. Those lat/long lines run east/west and north/south. A trailhead is where you park to hike into country where mule deer live. :)

Gerald, I think that you have been around the block long enough to know the answer... :) I would be sending arrows down range all day!

Oh my my. I'm not very good at scoring heads. Never really got into it, but I know nice looking above average bucks when I see them. They certainly look healthy and the velvet makes their horns look huge. My wife and I rode 25 miles up Sage and Wapiti creek south of Big Sky over the past 24 hours and never saw a deer or elk track. Lots of bear sign however. I would have loved to see deer and elk like we did in the early '90s up there. Some like those you photographed. Thanks for the reminder they are still out there somehwere.

Wow. Beautiful deer. They should be near that place up until the second or third week in Sept. I hope you're a bowhunter. The trashy narrow one and the last one are most definitely 180+.

Score doesn't always do justice. But go for the trashy narrow and the last one...they are well above average.

Great video! I would say any of those in the second half of the video would easily be taken by me. I would notch my tag for any of them, but I haven't shot a 4x4 or bigger yet, so those would have my blood pumping!

All 5 of the videos you've got on Vimeo are great, only problem is now I'm seething in jealousy ............................ oh, to live in Montana!

Back