Bowtec Assasin

6speed

I have decided the best way to get more hunting in is to start bow hunting. I know very little about bows but I have some friends and family who do and I found out I can get a great deal on a bowtech or diamond because of a connection I have. Because this will be my first bow and I have limited funds I have been looking at the Bowtech assassin package. Do any of you have any knowledge of this set up. Is it a good deal or should I buy one of their bows and then outfit it myself? If so what bow would you recommend.

Bows are subjective to the individual to what they like. I would recommend a Z7 because ethat's what I shoot, but I have a buddy who hates them and loves his Hoyts. If you can get a good deal and like the bow, then go with it.

I agree with John, everyone has their favorites. I suggest going and shooting a bunch of different bows and then decide.

I actually just got off the phone with my local pro shop seeing what they had as I'm left handed and its always hard finding stuff and now is a good time to get discounts ;) I'm actually leaning toward a new PSE Axe because it's only $629 on the clearence table and if it shoots like my current PSE, I have just saved $200 by not going with the new Mathews ;) sorry John...

I too was leaning toward a Diamond, but for the same price if I can get get that PSE, I'll go with the PSE.

Have fun shopping.

Garret

Bows are subjective to the individual to what they like. I would recommend a Z7 because ethat's what I shoot, but I have a buddy who hates them and loves his Hoyts. If you can get a good deal and like the bow, then go with it.

You must have missed 6speeds quote of "i have limited funds" when suggesting the Z7.

I too am looking for a new bow this year but cannot justify spending close to $1,000 on JUST the bow. My bow cost $190 and is over 10 years old but i have shot a lot of deer with it. I don't need the most expensive equipment that is out there.

I'll be watching this thread though, along with the other thread's about bow's to help me decide what I'd like to buy this year.

I wasn't suggesting it...I was using it as an example

I have limited funds too, and the only reason I was able to get the Z7 was because my bow shop has a layaway plan. Same with the Kenetrek boots I'm getting at Sportsman's Warehouse...layaway. Even with limited funds, there's usually a way to find a way to get top quality equipment

Last edited:
Might want to shoot the new Bowtech Invasion as well......simply awesome bow. But it has to feel good to YOU. All the big 3 manufacturers make quality bows. Choose the one that best fits your requirements.

I shoot a browning Illusion (its basically a PSE) and I love it. Bought it when it came out a few years back for 699 but now you can pretty much find it at any BassPro discount rack for around 350.

I guess I should have been a little more specific. The Assassin comes with a 4 pin TruGlo Apex sight, 1 piece 5 arrow ultra light quiver, Octane Hostage XL arrow rest, etc. Are the components I listed decent, remember this is a starter bow, or would I be better off to buy just a bow and then outfit it myself. I'm not too worried about the "best for me" aspect because I have nothing to base it on if I get a bow I can practice with all summer and then hunt with this fall that is accurate I will be happy. If I buy a package and then find out some part of it is junk so I have to replace it and I would have been ahead to just get good quality in the first place that is what I'm afraid of. I want to keep the money as low as possible on this because I don't want to spend a bunch and then decide later that it wasn't a good idea and on the flip side I figured if I get good and enjoy it I can upgrade later.

IMO , the Diamond RAK deals are decent starter equipment and I'm sure you will be happy with it. If your not, like you said you have not inveseted too much since you are getting a deal. I'm curious what the deal is costing you as I have seen the assassin RAK for about $600. If you wanted to get in cheaper try the rock2 RAK system and get in cheaper, but IMO still a good starter.

At this point I think I would be happy with a willow and some kite string if it meant I got to hunt the rut. I found a honey hole last year but I was in there a few weeks to late.

Check out used bows from your bowshop or Ebay. You can get awesome 3 year old bows for more than half of what they went for new. Spend your extra $ on quality accessories...they are as important as the bow yo choose.

Like John said shoot some and buy the one that feels the best to you.You will like the grips better on some bows and how they feel like they balance will be a big factor.

I stopped by Sportsman's the other day and checked out a couple bows. I liked the feel of the diamond Ice that was a 2010 for $600 but it's out of my price range once I put a site arrow rest etc. on it. I picked up a Bowtech Sniper ready to shoot for $489 that felt good it was heavier but it had all the stuff on it so I figure that has to make up some of it. They didn't have an assassin so i figure I'll wait and see if I like it better but a ready to go package for under $500 looks like just the ticket to start my new hobby/obsession. They had a new PSE that was really light and felt good but it was more than the Diamond by a ways and to me having no bow experience it didn't feel that much different.

My local shop caters to a much higher end than I can afford. I have been watching the paper for bows and called on one a few weeks ago but if I can get an "employee" discount on a new one I figure I will be ahead.

I got my first new bow in over ten years this year. I had narrowed it down without looking at price. I went to a local shop here in my small town, and the owner was good enough to remove all the orice tags before I saw them.( I didn't want price to be an issue) I shot the entire line that day, and believe it or not the bow that felt the best to me was the third cheapest they carried.

What it all boils down to is make sure the bow you get is comfortable to you or you will never shoot it well. My first compound hunting bow was back in '79 a PSE phaser 2. I bought it because it came cammoed, and I never did shoot it well.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back