Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Aiming Under Deer

I wonder if white tail react differently to the release than blacktail
Can’t answer that exactly, but it seems to me that mule deer don’t react nearly as much as whitetail. I’ve had a couple of mulies looking at me when I’ve released and they’ve never flinched til the arrow was passing out the back side.

String jumping happens but in my experience it’s just most often used as an excuse for missing, why admit you made a bad shot when you can blame it on the target?! It’s an extra helpful excuse when no one is videoing!

My comments on this post previously are in regards to whitetails. I will also add that doe will duck way more often than mature bucks and they seem to duck farther down in their spring move to run on the shot.

I've shot 30+ whitetails with a bow. Probably 80% have been does. Does have always been much more prone to "jumping the string" compared to bucks in my opinion. It doesn't help they are so much smaller. Bottom third of the body is not a bad guideline. I've never shot under a deer that was within reasonable distance. I have shot over a couple.

Shooting at relaxed deer is best. Bottom of the kill zone aim. If you are shooting at a close target from an elevation you have to envision where the arrow will exit on the opposite side, since it can be a steep angle. Also if the deer is right under you it’s not a great shot as it is a smaller kill zone and you also have to aim up to 4” high. Best to wait for a better shot. I’ve spined 2 deer aiming at the heart and shot over a few more. I would never aim off the body as they sometimes do not duck at all. It can be worth your while to practice shooting at a block from a stand - especially helps with bending at the waist and not the shoulders, a common problem for archers starting out.

Bowhunting for 45 years. 1/4 the way up the body is where I aim. One time sitting in a tree, a doe came in to eat apples off a tree 25 yds away. I shot and it went high or so I thought. The doe went off about 30 yds and came back to the same spot. Second shot I decided to aim below the body line and dang if the arrow didnt end up going high again. Same thing, she runs off a little ways and come back to the same spot. OK, I'll aim foot under her this time. Whack, hit the spine and down she went. Bow was on, she was just dropping that fast. Now days, I do not like to shoot at alert animals but I was younger then. Best target is a stationary deer that is not on alert. Deer that are too close hear everything, deer that are past 30 yds are alot more calm. Most of the deer I have shot are between 15-25 yds away. Closer is better. Unlike rifle hunting you have to get used to setting up in places where you cant see everything. Just where you need to for the kill zone. Good luck and enjoy unspoiled natural actions of creatures that do not know you are there.

Got mine this year at 58 yards, aimed center front, and didn't move at all. Dropped 5 yards from where he was hit. Someone previously posted, don't overthink. I think that is very sound advice.

Back