Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bowhunter booked a rifle hunt in AK needs advice

Sprout197

Hi everyone.. i have been a bowhunter since i was 15 yrs old and i just booked a moose/caribou hunt in Alaska. I do own several hunting rifles and shotguns but only hunted with them a handful of times over the last 25 years. I own a winchester 308 semi, a remington 308 semi, two Savage 303s lever action rifle but have been advised to purchase something with a bit more stopping power to take down a moose and especially because i will be living in brown bear and grizzly country for 2 weeks. I have my eye on a remington 700 mountain ss bolt action 300 win mag... id love to get some feedback from those of you who have more knowledge than i do . Thanks...

A 30-06 might serve you better than a 300 Win Mag. It will also be cheaper to get familar with at the range. I recommend 180 or 200 gr Accubonds, Partions, or a similar quality bullet. If you decide you still want a magnum and moneys not an issue, Id recommend a 300 H&H. The recoil is less severe and it handles the bigger bullets rather well. My inlaws up in Fairbanks use a 30-06 and a 30-338 for moose, and most shots are under 100 yards.

Just sayin;....I've always been a proponent of the .338 and waited many years for a cartidge that was non-mag. Well, Federal did it a few years back, with the 338 Federal. Check out the ballistics, they're impressive. I think it would add some pizzaze to your hunt to do it with something a little different !

375 H&H bolt action and then after the AK hunt you can dream of Africa cape buffalo. Will cost more for ammo as you get the gun dialed in and will rattle your bones a bit more than a smaller caliber. Take the bow to Africa, too, for plains game around waterholes. Thinking outside the box would be a double 416 rifle for AK and Africa. Probably need to get the moose within 50 yards but if you do run into an upset brown bear then the 50 yards or less factor will take care of itself. Good luck and hunt safe.

It's not as if the .300 Winchester is a real punisher. Saw a guy at the range last weekend with a brake on one. My RUM with no brake will rattle ya some. mtmuley

I agree as well. The .300 is a great cartridge, the ss will handle any weather with ease, and the mountain edition is lighter to carry although that will slightly increase felt recoil. Add a Sims recoil pad and practice, practice, practice... Finally, invite me to come along on the trip!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back