Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bow Stag Hunt

Are New Zealand women as awesome as Australian women? I could definitely cope with doing some hunting down there :D
Having just spent a week in Australia, sadly the answer is no :( probably best to plan a visit based on hunting :D

WARNING !

To all you guys saying NZ is on your bucket list..........once you go that bucket will become bottomless, suddenly that once-in-a-lifetime trip becomes an annual event, and you might even consider immigrating there.

Good point glass eye :D

im more worried how physically demanding the plane flight is.I hate being stuck that long in a plane.How long is the flight glass eye?

How physically demanding would a stag hunt be?

That's a difficult question to answer accurately, partly because I haven't hunted in the USA and I'm not really sure what you guys are use to. But here's some points about stag hunting here.
Private land hunting can be very easy access, but you have to pay. They cater for all levels of fitness.
You can use a chopper to get you to a lot of public land spots. Hunting from these drop off points can be fairly easy.
You are not required to take the meat. On a big trophy mission some people will just take the antlers.

Most kiwis deer hunters are fairly fit and hunt public land with heavy packs. But there are options for all levels of fitness.

Glass eye might like to comment, he's hunted both countries.

The flights are looong. For my Sept trip I fly Wellington to Brisbane (4 hrs), then LA (14 hrs!) then SLC (3 hrs).

john,find the cruise ship option and u got a partner.Helicopter to the top sounds a lot easier on the legs.How many miles you guys typically walk in? And what kind of elevation change?Looks very steep out there
Are the sika deer wild too or just in ranch hunts.I'd be happy with any of those,red,fallow or sika.We wouldn't be allowed to bring meat back to US I think.Is there places to donate meat?Cant see myself just cutting antlers and leaving the meat
I'll have to pm glass eye.Looks like an incredible spring time trip

Yes, helicopter is a good option. The walk in distance is different each spot. But this report is about 3-4 miles (at a guess) and fairly flat, might climb a hundred meters to camp. But some day hunts I can walk 10 miles and climb 1600 vertical yards (but that's chamois hunting). Another regular spots is 2 miles but climb 500 vertical yards. Above tree line we sometime climb 1000 yards.

Sika hunting is both private and public. There is popular private land hunting near taupo and I would recommend this as an option. I have hunter there 4 times. There are good numbers and the country side is no different from public. Its easy country to hunt but a lot of bush stalking. See this link for info - http://www.helisika.co.nz/hunting-blocks.

You can donate the meat to me :) I don't know of places that will take donated meat. Most people will just give to friends.

Spring is a good time to hunt but the deer will not have hard antlers. Its a great time to hunt tahr.

This site provides a lot of typical kiwi hunting action - http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?board=hunting7

March/April is our spring time;thats what I meant.You said those are rut months for red deer right?

What are the rules for taking a gun over there? Would a muzzleloader be considered a firearm and easier?

Better to take a rifle and ammo. ML powder might be hard to find and you can't take powder or primers on a plane. NZ is super easy for visitors to bring guns.

That's a difficult question to answer accurately, partly because I haven't hunted in the USA and I'm not really sure what you guys are use to. But here's some points about stag hunting here.
Private land hunting can be very easy access, but you have to pay. They cater for all levels of fitness.
You can use a chopper to get you to a lot of public land spots. Hunting from these drop off points can be fairly easy.
You are not required to take the meat. On a big trophy mission some people will just take the antlers.

Most kiwis deer hunters are fairly fit and hunt public land with heavy packs. But there are options for all levels of fitness.

Glass eye might like to comment, he's hunted both countries.

Most kiwi hunters are part goat and will put US to shame. So far I really haven't hunted the easy terrain yet. I'm 52 and I'm hunting the Alps while I still can and later I'll hunt the easier stuff. I have done the hard yards backpacking to the tops with camp gear. I have choppered up too. It's really steep across scree and matagouri ( thorny bushes ) trekking poles are a must. If you hunt tahr it would be like Mt. Goat hunting. If you hunt Red Deer on the Westcoast it would be like rainforest in the Pacific Northwest.
This video will give you a glimpse of the terrain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sefOOt9A3Vs

Last edited:
Is there a way to bring the red deer meat back to the States?

I was told by someone who works customs at LAX that you are allowed 50 lbs. of meat. Factor in the weight of an ice chest and it's less than 50 lbs. at $70-$200 for excess baggage fee and it doesn't make sen$e.
International flights are strict about carry-on, maximum weight 15 lbs. NZ Airlines gives you 1 free checked bag ( 50# max ) 2nd checked bag is $70 pre-paid or $150 at the counter. 3rd checked bag is $125 pre-paid and $200 at the counter. 4th + is $300.

For myself, my carry-on consist of binos and camera gear, 15 lbs doesn't allow for much more. Free checked bag is backpack, 2nd checked bag is gun or bow case.
I pre-paid a 3rd checked bag for the return trip and I put my salted capes in a large dry-bag.

Good luck glass - eye! Can't wait for your post!
And. Kiwi - kudos to you on a nice trophy, appreciate the posting
What's next !? Do you waterfowl? Upland opportunities there?
How many tags can you get / season!?

Good luck glass - eye! Can't wait for your post!
And. Kiwi - kudos to you on a nice trophy, appreciate the posting
What's next !? Do you waterfowl? Upland opportunities there?
How many tags can you get / season!?

Thanks for the comments. Next up is more big game hunting. I don't hunt waterfowl, but duck shooting is big in NZ. There are upland opportunities but sorry I don't know anything about bird shooting.

There are no seasons and no tags so I hunt big game every month of the year - deer, tahr and chamois :)

In September I'm hunting Elk in Wyoming and hopefully antelope & deer if I get a tag.

BTW if anyone wants first hand information on hunting in NZ and they will be in southern / western WY I'd be happy to visit and talk about hunting in NZ. I'm there mid Sept for a few weeks.

Back