Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bourbon Connoisseurs

Added a new Rye from a bottle signing yesterday. Will Summers from Horse Soldier Bourbon was at my local shop.

You may not recognize the name, but if you’ve read the book Horse Soldiers or seen the movie 12Strong, you know the story.
View attachment 277346
I just picked up a bottle of the small batch signature a few weeks ago, I had no idea the maker name actually stood for something! I primarily bought it to cook with, specifically smoked peach, blackberry, Bourbon cobbler.
I'll definitely purchase it again now that I know the story behind the label
20230602_192247.jpg20230605_192852.jpg20230605_205635.jpg

I can get Buffalo and Weller almost every trip to the the store here. I just recently found out through casual conversation that get Blanton in all the time and had six bottles last week, they just don’t put it out on the shelf. Would you pay $100 for a bottle? My brother in law paid $200 and said it’s not worth it. I feel like $100 seems decent.
I would not pay over msrp for it which is like 45 bucks I think.

I'm on my second bottle of Widow Jane, 10 year. It's a nice sipping bourbon, really enjoying it.

Saturday after a branding I remembered I had 8 pounds of cherries in the Fridge from a friend. I pulled into BevMo on my way home and wearing Boots, Hat, AND SPURS, grabbed 2 - 1.75 L bottles of Evan Williams to make Bourbon Cherries with.

Nobody said a damn thing, much to my surprise. I must have been a sight.

I get at least 3 bottles a year here in Ohio and have never paid over msrp
It’s not legal to mark up booze over MSRP in Ohio.

There is also a website that tracks store inventory. Ohio is the best place in the world to buy bourbon.

I have some nerd friends that wrote some software that auto searches daily the bourbon selection at a handful of stores for a handful of bourbons. When they get a hit they go on an expedition. Her and her husband have the most impressive collection of bourbons all at MSRP or less.

So I opened the Buffalo Trace tonight and I do feel it's really smooth for my taste, but I'm starting to think they are all the same...$25....$50...$100....I think it's time for a blind taste test with my friends. I have Eagle Rare last week and that was good, but I really can't say it was any better than this or others I have had. Maybe I need to stick to beer, I can for sure tell the difference in beers :)

Price isn’t the best indicator of a good bourbon. There are some great $30 bottles that will destroy some of those bottles that demand the huge prices. BT is a pretty good $25 bottle, and that’s about it. The bottle below cost me about $50, and it is better than most things on my shelf. In fact Russel’s reserve has a 13yr that is 150-300 on shelves and is damn near impossible to find (trust me, I put in the effort), and this is from the same distillery and better…
IMG_0200.jpeg

Price isn’t the best indicator of a good bourbon. There are some great $30 bottles that will destroy some of those bottles that demand the huge prices. BT is a pretty good $25 bottle, and that’s about it. The bottle below cost me about $50, and it is better than most things on my shelf. In fact Russel’s reserve has a 13yr that is 150-300 on shelves and is damn near impossible to find (trust me, I put in the effort), and this is from the same distillery and better…
Russell’s has some of the best bourbon values available right now. I can get their 10 year all day for $33 at Total Wine. I’m not aware of any other 10 years for even twice that price.

I had a “decade” sampling with a buddy and we tried all of my 10+ year bourbons side by side. We both preferred the Russell’s over Eagle Rare and put it just below Weller 12. Amazing for a $33 bottle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back