Bots

Bots on forums like this: what’s the end game?? I don’t get it. What’s the current or future play?
I'm not sure. But, for each one that gets through, you should see the huge number that are denied.

The ones that get through are using some rather sophisticated VPN and other identity shielding tools. To the point that some of those emails, ISPs, VPNs, and email hosts are likely to be blocked on this site in the coming year.

I know that sucks for other potential new members who use that kind of technology that hits our filters when they sign up. When someone signs up we get an admin report if they meet one of the criteria we have set. If we set it too tight, we get tons of admin approval requests, to the point of being burdensome. If we set it a bit looser, some of the losers get through.

It's a balance, for sure.

I'm not sure. But, for each one that gets through, you should see the huge number that are denied.

The ones that get through are using some rather sophisticated VPN and other identity shielding tools. To the point that some of those emails, ISPs, VPNs, and email hosts are likely to be blocked on this site in the coming year.

I know that sucks for other potential new members who use that kind of technology that hits our filters when they sign up. When someone signs up we get an admin report if they meet one of the criteria we have set. If we set it too tight, we get tons of admin approval requests, to the point of being burdensome. If we set it a bit looser, some of the losers get through.

Glad I'm already a member. I might not make the cut these days. mtmuley

Bots on forums like this: what’s the end game?? I don’t get it. What’s the current or future play?
I’ve been wondering the same thing. My assumption is always the sales scam or trolling but they don’t always go there as quickly as you would think after they get through the initial post number hoop.

Interesting theories on the recent limits on Twitter; bad actors, unmentioned except for maybe Microsoft, ?Russians, ?CIA, ?FBI scraping data with millions of bots for whatever nefarious purpose.

I remember when this site got hacked (from Russia from memory) and everyone outside the US was barred from accessing the site, including me for around 5 days, and yet a well known poster of the time claiming to live in Europe was happily posting away whilst everyone else outside the continental US was barred, I will it there!

Back