PEAX Equipment

Bore Guide?

I could never understand how a much softer aluminum cleaning rod can bugger rifling if a copper bullet doesn't. I use a bore snake with a bit of Hoppes soaked rag in the finger loop. Drop the weighted end through the bore, step on it, raise rifle and pull through as I guide the finger loop and rag end to chamber, continue pulling through by stepping ahead on cord as needed till completely drawn through the bore. The rag provides enough compression to thoroughly clean the bore.
Whatever you decide on....don't do this.

I use the same Sinclair one with the o-ring that tjones mentioned.

I could never understand how a much softer aluminum cleaning rod can bugger rifling if a copper bullet doesn't. I use a bore snake with a bit of Hoppes soaked rag in the finger loop. Drop the weighted end through the bore, step on it, raise rifle and pull through as I guide the finger loop and rag end to chamber, continue pulling through by stepping ahead on cord as needed till completely drawn through the bore. The rag provides enough compression to thoroughly clean the bore.
The purpose of a rod/bore guide is to protect the throat area. It's especially important with new barrels where the throat hasn't yet eroded from gas cutting.

As an aside I use a rod/bore guide with a Dewey rod and a Bore-Tech jag. Unfortunately the rifling twist direction add the jag threads don't like each other so the jaf is partially unscrewed after exiting the muzzle. One has to screw the jag back in before pulling it back through the barrel lest the gap catch the inner edge of the crown and mess it up over time. BTW I never use a brush nor do I oil a stainless bore.

You couldn't give me a boresnake. Gonna upgrade my bore guides. Can't see not using one. mtmuley
Why? I agree, as it stands alone, a bore snake is nigh onto useless. But modified per above it cleans my bores VERY thoroughly with absolutely no risk of scoring the rifling or crown. The key, of course, is cutting a piece of rag that gives a lot of compression in the bore but doesn't bind up. Much easier to pull the rag through than try driving it through with a cleaning rod. Also, using my method the rifle is always held securely in both hands because my foot is doing the work of drawing the snake through the bore. And finally, a bore snake fits better in my luggage when packing for a hunting trip. Give it a try.

The purpose of a rod/bore guide is to protect the throat area. It's especially important with new barrels where the throat hasn't yet eroded from gas cutting.

As an aside I use a rod/bore guide with a Dewey rod and a Bore-Tech jag. Unfortunately the rifling twist direction add the jag threads don't like each other so the jaf is partially unscrewed after exiting the muzzle. One has to screw the jag back in before pulling it back through the barrel lest the gap catch the inner edge of the crown and mess it up over time. BTW I never use a brush nor do I oil a stainless bore.
Right. But no throat protection is needed for a bore snake. Obviously. Also, no issues with rifling spin direction. My bore snake does have a brush of sorts incorporated in the rope but it is superficial. The compressed rag in the finger loop does the cleaning (obvious when looking at the rag after it's drawn through the bore). And it's impossible for a compressed solvent soaked rag to harm the bore.

I should add that using my modification of bore snake, the handle becomes superficial. Just an annoyance to keep taking it off and putting it on. Step on the naked cord to draw the snake through as you pull upward on the rifle. Reposition foot as needed. Throw the screw-on handle away.

Right. But no throat protection is needed for a bore snake. Obviously. Also, no issues with rifling spin direction. My bore snake does have a brush of sorts incorporated in the rope but it is superficial. The compressed rag in the finger loop does the cleaning (obvious when looking at the rag after it's drawn through the bore). And it's impossible for a compressed solvent soaked rag to harm the bore.
How do you keep solvent from running/dripping back into the action?

They are listed as a distributor on the possum hollow website. Owners name is Eric Sinclair. Should be able to direct if you want
Is Eric Fred's son? I see Brownells must have bought out Fred's business since they are one place that carries his line.

They are listed as a distributor on the possum hollow website. Owners name is Eric Sinclai

Is Eric Fred's son? I see Brownells must have bought out Fred's business since they are one place that carries his line.
I don't know about that. When I called about 2 years ago it was just Eric and going by their website, looks like they're still in private ownership, but not sure.

Why do you need to? Mild solvent (anything except CR10 etc) doesn’t do anything negative to the action.
I certainly wouldn't want anything dripping/running down under the mag follower in my guns. When I use a bore guide I put a plastic bag over the butt of the stock all the way up to the action tang. Muzzle pointed slightly downward. I don't use Hoppes #9 any more. I use Accelerator and Wipe-out. A loose patch of Accel then a loose patch of Wipe-out. Let sit a few minutes then use a tight patch with rubbing alcohol or Ronsonol. Charcoal lighter will work too. Next use a dry patch and repeat until barrel is clean. I don't find it necessary to remove every trace of copper.

As I picture it he must be using something like a bore guide to seal off the chamber.
The gun is cleaned muzzle down. The bore snake and compressed bit of solvent soaked rag is drawn through the bore by stepping on the cord with MY FOOT. Bore snake is started by dropping through the chamber, not the muzzle. Hence, any excess cleaning solvent follows gravity and runs downward into the bore, not into the action. Again, the advantage to MY method of using the bore snake is the rifle remains in both hands while my foot draws the snake through the bore. Also, I can force a compressed bit of rag through the bore much more effectively (with much more compression on the bore) pulling it through than trying to push it ahead of a cleaning rod.

This is not how Bore Snake instructions say to use their equipment. Follow their instructions and it's a joke. Try my method and see how much crap comes out on that rag. And it's a helluva lot easier than fiddling with cleaning rods, crown protectors, etc. Don't knock it till you've tried it ... using MY method.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back