Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bore Guide?

Tipton kit is what I always come back to.. I tried getting a Possum hollow dedicated guide for every different bolt gun I own but gave up after buying 15 or so. The main problem is that they aren't labeled so I have a stack of nylon tubes that all look the same but its a guessing game which rifle they actually fit.. and no I'm not going to engrave them . For the price he charges they should come labeled. Additionally, they never return phone calls or emails so i gave up using Possum Hollow..
The Tipton kit looks cheaply made but is actually rather nice to use.

I have to fess up and admit a lot of times I don't use one. Just careful not to push into the crown and I use good rods with soft material

Another vote for Tipton. Simple and easy to use. One thing I’ll add, is to strip the crappy coating out of it before you use it. Some cleaners or solvents will slowly remove it and send it down the barrel on your patches.

I have to fess up and admit a lot of times I don't use one. Just careful not to push into the crown and I use good rods with soft material
I don’t ever use a bore guide other than the little plastic thing that aligns the rod on the crown to avoid contact.

Either way, I did upgrade to the Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rod a few years back and even if I do hit the crown with that, there is no way any of it will do damage to stainless steel.

Yes, I always clean from the muzzle end. You have to for handguns so my rifles can have the same love.

Same, I tried a bore guide and it was a hassle, so I bought a nicer cleaning rod...
I could never understand how a much softer aluminum cleaning rod can bugger rifling if a copper bullet doesn't. I use a bore snake with a bit of Hoppes soaked rag in the finger loop. Drop the weighted end through the chamber, step on it, raise rifle and pull through as I guide the finger loop and rag end to chamber, continue pulling through by stepping ahead on cord as needed till completely drawn through the bore. The rag provides enough compression to thoroughly clean the bore.

Last edited:
I could never understand how a much softer aluminum cleaning rod can bugger rifling if a copper bullet doesn't. I use a bore snake with a bit of Hoppes soaked rag in the finger loop. Drop the weighted end through the bore, step on it, raise rifle and pull through as I guide the finger loop and rag end to chamber, continue pulling through by stepping ahead on cord as needed till completely drawn through the bore. The rag provides enough compression to thoroughly clean the bore.
You couldn't give me a boresnake. Gonna upgrade my bore guides. Can't see not using one. mtmuley

I could never understand how a much softer aluminum cleaning rod can bugger rifling if a copper bullet doesn't. I use a bore snake with a bit of Hoppes soaked rag in the finger loop. Drop the weighted end through the bore, step on it, raise rifle and pull through as I guide the finger loop and rag end to chamber, continue pulling through by stepping ahead on cord as needed till completely drawn through the bore. The rag provides enough compression to thoroughly clean the bore.

I don't even use the aluminum ones, its carbon fiber.

Possum Hollow is my choice, think it's what Brownells is selling. Bought one for my 308 through Midway and they sent the wrong one (It was the one they said was correct) Called possum Hollow for the correct one and he sent it me direct. And included 3 bucks cash to cover part of my shipping costs. I'm a loyal customer for life!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back