Boots

Duck-Slayer

Getting a new pair of boots for Christmas this year, I have already decided probably on Kennetrek's but not sure which model, I do lots of walking on steep rocky environment, I want uninsulated, I figure all the guys on here can help me out with a few reviews, Also i'm not totally against getting a different boot either, so any and all reviews are great, I have been using Danner Pronghorn's for the last 14 years or so whenever they first came out, had about 4 pairs in that time, wore hole's in all of them, there nice, but i'm looking too make a switch possibly too a more well built boot,
Matt

I do like my Mountain Extremes and would recommend them. If you like a little shorter boot, the Hardscrabble might be a good choice, I've never had them but know several guys who swear by them.

Try on a pair of Meindl Denalis. Every foot is different but those boots fit me great and are just plain awesome! I'm considering buying a spare pair just in case they'd ever quit making them.

I used a pair of insulated Mountain Extremes this year. Loved them. They make a non-insulated version too I believe.

Try on a pair of Meindl Denalis. Every foot is different but those boots fit me great and are just plain awesome! I'm considering buying a spare pair just in case they'd ever quit making them.
I second this suggestion! I bought the Denali's after 5 or so years in Kenetrek's. The Denali's fit me better. The K-trek is a good boot, but just never 100% for me.

I think all the suggestions have been good ones, but I strongly recommend you base it on fit versus just being set on a given make/model if you haven't tried them on yet.

Great thread Duck-Slayer! I too am looking at new pair for next season and am leaning towards the Kenetrek mountain extreme 400. I've used the Under Armour Browtine the past two seasons and loved them but wore them out fairly quickly. Not to hijack your thread but those who have the kenetrek mountain extreme, how would the boot be for someone with narrow feet?

Last edited:
I have experience with a couple different kentreks and Lowa Hunter GTX. Both good boots, but Lowa is better on my foot.

I respect those that wave the flag for Kenetrek, just curious what they are judging them against?

Love my Mountain Extreme 400s. Bone Collector - I have fairly narrow feet and they fit me well. As with any boot though you should 'try before you buy' to make sure they work for you.

I'll throw out the standard "buy the boots that fit the best" comment.

Lots of really good boots out there, Meindl, Lowa, Kennetrek, Crispi, Hanwag, Asolo, etc., etc.

Expect to spend $300+ on a good pair of boots, but try several different brands on and see what fits best.

I have a pair of Kennetrek Mountain Extremes and a Pair of Meindl Denalis. The Kennetreks are my backup boot.

The best pair of boots for you very well could be different than the best pair of boots for me though.

I have a boot review hot off the presses! I had the moose tag for NW Montana and after a little scouting realized I was going to have to spend some real money on some boots that were up to that steep and rugged terrain. I tried on Kennetrek, Lowa, Zamerlan (I think), and Cabela's Perfekt (by Meindl). I saw that Cabela's perfekt was now made in a little taller boot also which was called the Perfekt Extreme. Our Cabela's here only carried the Perfekt not the Extreme, so I found the right size and ordered the Extremes. They were about $125 cheaper than the Kennetreks. I started walking in them in the summer getting in shape. They were very comfortable from the start. I have Morton's Neuroma that really makes walking painful after so far. For me it's usually after about three miles that it really gets painful. I got the recommended Obenauf's leather cream and treated the boots whenever they seemed like they needed it. I hunted the creek bottoms some and actually waded the streams in them. I never had a time that I felt water had gone through the boot. I had water go over the top, but not through. I was completely satisfied in every way with them. Ordering a pair of boots makes me nervous, but I figured that surely the perfekt boots had to be close to the perfekt extremes, size wise and they were.

I have had a pair of the Meindl Denalis for 5 years and they have been great boots for me. When I bought them I tried Ktreks, Zamberlan, and the Meindls. The meindls fit me the best.

This probably isn't really an issue with the boot, but rather wearing them past their servicable life. The only issue I have had with them in the padding behind the heal has broken down on me and it can create ridges along my heal that can create blisters. The day I shot my bear this spring was pretty warm and the combination of sweaty feet and that broken down padding gave me a blister on one heal. Thankfully, Randy11 and I did some postholing above the snow line while making the stalk; which cooled my feet off nice before the blister really got going.

I have since tried on the Lowa Tibets, and I think they might be my next boot.

I have the uninsulated mountain extremes. I have a narrow foot. I used to wear Red Wing, etc which isn't a fair comparison.

Love the boots. I wear them out west and in the BWCA in Northern MN. I treat them yearly with the kennetrek boot wax. Never had wet feet (except from sweat) and have never had a blister or even a hot spot. That's saying something given you are routinely standing in water when portaging in the BWCA. Tread is great on wet rocks, etc....

I must say the foot beds are terrible. I ordered the Lathrop & Sons footbeds and they are great. Really helped the fit. I have room for thicker socks for warmth, but can cinch down with less bulk needed. I would love to try the Tibets. Their soles look like they have a bit more cushion.

Hope that helps-

Crispis, I want the new Idaho's. Been wearing denalis for the last couple years as I got them dirt cheap. I've tried different sizes and insoles, best I can get is an "acceptable" boot out of them. Uninsulated, 8" boots are what I like for year long hunting. Pair them with the right sock and your gold.

+1 on the Lowa Tibets. Got mine this fall and they are great boots. Paired with Gore-Tex gaiters they did really great.

I put on a lot of miles in the mountains in the summer for work and in the fall for hunting so I always used to use my White's when it was warm until this year I bought a pair of Kennetrek 400 extremes and it made such a huge difference. Great traction going up and down, never had water go thru them once I treated them, fairly durable, easy to break in, easy to clean. The only down side would be that I can't feel the ground, so those small twigs and debris are hard to detect on the ground and although they are great on wet rocks, they are horrible on stepping on wet aspen.

I bought Lowa Tibets for Christmas last year. I really like the boots after a year of hunting and probably 1,000 miles. They are showing the wear. My best guess is that I'll get three, maybe four years from the boots.

Back