Boots

There are lots of good boots, but one problem is that it is very difficult to find a place where you can try on several different kinds without buying them and returning them.

How do kennetreks do on a wide foot? I wear a 10 1/2 EE right now in the Danner's, probably need a 10 since I usually wear thick wool socks too prevent any kind of blisters, I will check out the Tibets, how are the Tibets for being waterproof after 3 years? anyone?
Matt

Good input on the boots. Thanks MTMILLER, you cost me $277 last Friday. I bought some Meindl Perfekt Ultimate Hunter last summer and they were great last season in some steep country. Good for chukar hunting also. I wanted another good pair of boots and have been eyeballing the Lowa Tibets for over a year but hadn't bought them yet. They are on their way now.

First post and I can say this is a great forum. I really enjoy the input and lack of bickering or slammng. I have elk hunted for 43 years and love it more today than when I first started. Also enjoy upland bird hunting and fishing for bass, salmon, steelhead and trout. Chase some deer aroung too when I have the time.

I just bought a new pair of boots last month, I ended up trying on Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, Kenetrek Hardscrabbles, Lowa Tibets, Crispi Hunter's, Hanwag Alaskan's, Schnee's Absaroka, also tried on some Asolo and Salomon but don't remember the exact model. I know you really can't go wrong with any of the aforementioned boots and I understand every boot is gonna fit someone a little differently. I'll rank the boots in my opinion on how they fit my foot

1. Hanwag Alaska GTX- These boots were by far the best feeling on my foot, they fit perfectly and were comfortable. I immediately upgraded the insole because for some reason all of these $400 boots have crappy footbeds haha. Probably one of my favorite features of this boot was the ball bearing lacing system. It seemed to tighten your entire foot uniformly instead of the highest lacing loop. My only fear with this will be if I get into a real muddy area how they respond but I don't foresee it to be a big issue.

2. Lowa Tibet GTX- These fit my foot and heel pretty good too and I thought long and hard between these and the Hanwag's. I ultimately decided against the Tibets because I felt as though my toes were cramped in the front.

3. Schnee's Absaroka
4.Crispi Hunter- I really liked how light these boots were and they felt good on my feet the only downside is I was looking for a little bit stiffer sole and these seemed to have quite a bit of give in them through the sole.
5. Kenetrek Mountain Extreme/Hardscrabble- I really went into the stores thinking I was gonna be walking out with a pair of uninsulated Mountain Extremes. I have several close friends and an uncle that swear by them and they have built a very solid reputation. I tried and tried to convince myself that the heelslip I kept experiencing would go away after the break in process but I just couldn't bring myself to believe it.

It was truly eye opening to go from a pair of Under Armour Brow Tines into a category of boots like the ones I have mentioned. The skill and craftsmanship that it takes to make a boot like these is truly evident and I have no doubt they will last me many seasons compared to the 1 season I was getting out of my Under Armour and Danner boots previously.

For me the Kenetrek s are my favorites had the lowa s which are tremendous boots but the kenetrek s were more comfortable from the start and light weight, IMHO

I have worn many hiking,packing boots. Most came from country of origin,Germany,Italy,US.
Now most are junk made in china,and not much better than a Big5 tennis shoe....

That said I have been wearing my cabellas Meindel Ibex boots for 15yrs and still in great shape.
I only wear them hunting.Not scouting,packing,hiking,working. I have other boots for that.

My Kennetrk Grizzly pacs are 10yrs old and the best winter hunting/hiking boot I have ever had.

For unisulated dont overlook Asolo. Check out Sierra trading for best prices on them.

This is what I do buy a pair every year for cheap at Sierra trading post. I wear them for hunting season then they become work boots for the rest of the year. My feet love them

I got fit for a pair of Hanwags from Lathrop and Sons 5 years ago. Best decision I've made for my feet ever. I burned through a bunch of Danners and had blisters from some of them, wore the soles off of a couple but never felt comfortable. After being crippled with blisters for about the 4th time I finally got my wallet out and upgraded my footwear.
Hanwag is my go to boot. Tough, comfortable footbed with good width, and never had a blister or even a hot spot in 5 seasons of abuse.

I do like my Asolo hikers for early season hiking and crusing around now that they're broken in. Forget the model, but they're a good boot for the price.

Well after a lot of deliberation I ended my pursuit of a pair of boots, bought me the Meindel Denali from Cabelas, good price, great fit, already put 2 miles on them in a day I've had them, feel great might get a little better insole in them thou,
Matt

Best decision I ever made was to bite the bullet on a pair of Russel Moccasin High Country boots. I have had them for 9 years and am on the second set of soles. I treat them religiously with Montana Pitch Blend. Hurts like heck to buy them, but they are the best.

I used to wear the old standard Marine Combat Boot from the late 70s (not the Jungle Boot or the Jump Boot). When I could no longer find them, I asked around about the current issue and find them satisfactory. My feet are the toughest part of my body, I put them through hell and they aren't real particular. Never knew what all the fuss was about but man, some guys had trench foot or immersion foot or whatever you call it, blisters, bunions and all kinds of crap. :( Anyway, if you have good feet, combat boots are a good, inexpensive boot.

Back