Boots

I have Meindl's for early seasons and for later in the year I use Schnee's Hunter 2. I love them both and they are perfect for what conditions I use them for. I would suggest trying on as many different pair as you can get your hands on, as others have suggested.

Guess I am +6 on the Lowa Tibet. For whatever reason they just fit my feet. I have worn them hard from Alaska to the nasty spots in Idaho and they are tough.

I bought a pair of Kenetrek mountain extremes 400, after putting about 20 miles on them I wouldn't have any other boot but them. I did have to try different sock combinations but once I came up with the right sock they great. I hunted Colorado & Montana especially during that cold time during mid November-5 to -14. I bought mine in Bozeman at Carter's shoe shop on the main drag.

Another vote for lowa Tibet. Beware the fit of your heel in the kenetrek. Lots of people getting heel blisters. I wore them around the house for a couple of weeks and never could lock my heel in well enough to stop heel slippage on stairs. I figured it wasn't worth the risk for even worse terrain. It's all about YOUR foot. Find what fits you best. You can't go wrong with either boot ad they are both if great quality.

Zamberlan Tofane

Zamberlan Tofane's +++
Bought these boots before spending 2 months guiding hunters down in Colorado and couldn't be happier. About gave me a heart attack spending that kind of moola on boots, but good hunting starts from your feet up. Very stable on uneven terrain, solid boots that I hope will last the next 5-10 years. (I may not, but the boots probably will)

I like my Tibets too... They were my first boot over $300 and quite a step up in performance from Vasque or Asolo. After two years of heaving use the soles are getting worn, but I guess you can resole them.

For unisulated dont overlook Asolo. Check out Sierra trading for best prices on them.

Kenetrek

I've never been a high dollar boot guy (to my own demise), I always have the best of gear, except boots 👠👠...I always said , there's no way I'm paying $300 + for boots. This year, where I live, a sportsmanship warehouse opened up and I tried on a pair of kenetreks and really didn't like the fit. But the sales gal said to try them out and I could return them anytime. So I did.........after a couple days of wearing them, I absolutely fell in love with them!!!......I'm sure opinions vary and they might not be the best for some...but in my opinion, I'll always be a kenetrek guy. These things are so nice that I even wore them to my daughters' school concert!!!!....I have over a hundred miles of walking/hiking on them and they still look brand new.

Try them...I think they are the best out there. Oh...and the free pair of gaiters I got (which I always thought were gay) are so nice that I wear them a majority of the time too!!....it should be noted that my wife wouldn't let me wear the gaiters to the concert though!....not sure why??!!

I have had two pairs of Garmont T8's and a pair of the T6's. Best boots I have ever had. Comfortable and great in all kinds of terrain.

I had that issue when breaking in my kenetreks, and tried sock liners and issue was gone almost instantly .

Another vote for Meindl Perfekt Ultimate Hunter. Got mine on sale for $249 regularly $289. I did not treat these boots. Tuck your rain bibs into your gaiters and they are s good as waders for stream crossings. I never have a wet foot. The most comfortable boot I have ever owned and require no break in. Put 'em on and go hunting.

I used to have a set of Kenetrek Mountain extremes. I thought they were kind of heavy, but very sturdy. Now I have a set of the tall Bridgers and love them. They are nice and light and sturdy. I wear them in the heat and cold with the same set of merino wool socks and have yet to have my feet too hot or too cold.

I have the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme's - non-insulated...maybe for about four years now, they've held up well after they finally got broke in...but till they were, ouch. I think I'll give the Lowa's a look when I need another pair though...just because you never know if there is something better unless you try something else out.

I like my Tibets too... They were my first boot over $300 and quite a step up in performance from Vasque or Asolo. After two years of heaving use the soles are getting worn, but I guess you can resole them.

yes, Dave Paige in Seattle resoles them.

I've never tried the Lowa Tibets, but I am a big fan of the Kenetrek Extremes. I like them a lot better than the two pairs of Meindls by cabelas that I've had.

I own both the Sasslongs and the Mountain Extremes. Got he Sasslongs at ST on a heckuva discount and bought the Extremes used, here in the classifieds. Brought both pair along on our first elk hunt this season and love them both. Wore the Extremes the majority of the time and loved them especially climbing on trails with snow and ice on them. The slipping was almost none and the comfort was great. I felt sorry for two of my hunting partners because every day they had to pull wet boots off and put them by the wood burning heater to dry over nite. The old adage, "You get what you pay for" definitely applys here.
My second season in Asolo Sasslongs and I really like them. Many of the same features that you'll find in the boots mentioned, but for under $200.

Back