Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Boots with wide toe boxes

Scott85

I got weird feet and the widest part of my feet are my toes. Most boots do not fit right, I have only found about 5 companies that make boots that don't hurt my feet. It seems like a lot of hunting boots run narrow toe boxes and toe boxes don't change with the increasing widths. I think the only boots I found so far is Crispi are there any other hunting boots that have wider toe boxes? Thanks in advance for the help.

I've got the same issue. My Kennetrek Hardscrabbles have been good in that regard, but you have to order the wides, not the regulars.

I mostly hunt in the Hoka Tor Hi, which has a really wide toe box.

Altra doesn't make traditional boots, but they are starting to get some waterproof hiking style shoes in their lineup. A word of caution, if you have been wearing high heels your whole life like most folks you need to ease into zero drop style shoes.

Altra doesn't make traditional boots, but they are starting to get some waterproof hiking style shoes in their lineup. A word of caution, if you have been wearing high heels your whole life like most folks you need to ease into zero drop style shoes.

I never really noticed a difference between heeled boots and switching to my every day shoes which are NB minimus.

I have used Keens for a few years and they are plenty roomy up front, not hardcore mountaineering bit very comfy. I upgraded to Cabelas Miendls last year and am very happy with them.

I have hunted in the Altra Lone Peak Mid GTX as well. They are more nimble off trail, but I favor the Hoka Tor by a bit for heavy use. I have hauled 110+ pound loads at backpacking distances off the mountain with both.

That sounds familiar. I searched for years to find boots to fit my wide feet. A couple years ago I found the Cabela's / Meindl ultralight in EE width. They fit better than anything else I tried for many years before.

I just checked the Cabela's site and it only shows a medium width option now. Might take some research to find the EE version.

https://www.zamberlanusa.com/product/9789555/1005-hunter-pro-gtx-rr-hunting-boots-waxed-chestnut

I've got two pair of these and one pair of it's immediate predecessor. Many, many hard trail and x-country miles with many heavy 80+ pound loads along the way, these nearly entirely in designated wilderness areas.

Zamberland was recommended to me specifically by both the of Lathrop and Sons brothers after separate conversations with them both. Zamberlan has a 'wide last' and I believe these, specifically, have a wide, roomy toebox. However, the heel is designed very well, according to Lathrop and Sons, to really keep the heel where it should be. My heel seems to stay where it's supposed to be and the toes have plenty of room. Toes almost feel loose. That probably helps with circulation to help keep you warmer when it's cold too.

I've worn many different kinds of boots from Whites Smokejumpers as a wildland firefighter/smokejumper to all kinds of hiking boots to several different pairs of boots for technical alpine climbing to duty boots on my current job to several pairs of hunting boots over the year...none felt as good to me when I first put them on as these did. The Lathrop boys simply listened to me describe my foot shape and both said Zamberlan. It's worked out pretty good so far.

Probably worth a call to Lathrop and Sons. The might be able to hook you up. They are very well known in the hunting industry for their boot fitting process and they seem to know feet quite well.

Hope this helps.

https://www.zamberlanusa.com/product/9789555/1005-hunter-pro-gtx-rr-hunting-boots-waxed-chestnut

I've got two pair of these and one pair of it's immediate predecessor. Many, many hard trail and x-country miles with many heavy 80+ pound loads along the way, these nearly entirely in designated wilderness areas.

Zamberland was recommended to me specifically by both the of Lathrop and Sons brothers after separate conversations with them both. Zamberlan has a 'wide last' and I believe these, specifically, have a wide, roomy toebox. However, the heel is designed very well, according to Lathrop and Sons, to really keep the heel where it should be. My heel seems to stay where it's supposed to be and the toes have plenty of room. Toes almost feel loose. That probably helps with circulation to help keep you warmer when it's cold too.

I've worn many different kinds of boots from Whites Smokejumpers as a wildland firefighter/smokejumper to all kinds of hiking boots to several different pairs of boots for technical alpine climbing to duty boots on my current job to several pairs of hunting boots over the year...none felt as good to me when I first put them on as these did. The Lathrop boys simply listened to me describe my foot shape and both said Zamberlan. It's worked out pretty good so far.

Probably worth a call to Lathrop and Sons. The might be able to hook you up. They are very well known in the hunting industry for their boot fitting process and they seem to know feet quite well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the post, I'll look into that.

I have a very wide foot also. Just got my Crispi Nevada’s yesterday. I wear an 11.5 EE in about everything. The fit in my Nevada’s is spot on. The width is great, with plenty of room in the toe box. Very comfortable outa the box.

I never really noticed a difference between heeled boots and switching to my every day shoes which are NB minimus.
I wish my legs and back were that tolerant. I hated switching between my running shoes and my boots when I was still in the army. I don't wear anything that isn't zero drop anymore.

I had a pair of basketball shoes that were extremely comfortable except a little tight in the toes. Took them to a cowboy boot store and they put them on a boot stretcher. Made all the difference in the world. I've done that for a lot of footwear but never for hunting boots. Might be another option.

In the FWIW department the Meindl Ultralight boots have very wide toe boxes but they are not very durable boots nor do they have great traction, in my opinion. At $200, they can be nice winter chore boots though and decent pheasant hunting boots. Lots of room in the toes though, which I like for warmth in particular.

I'm in a similar boat, but widest point just at ball of foot. My feet get angry if they are in a cramped boot. I have a narrower heel, so typically I find wide widths are too loose there but I have to make a compromise it seems. I have a heap of boots on order right now to try on (too much driving to get to anything good). So I'll let you know what I figure out. To date, I've done ok with a Lowa Tibet regular width, but I need a lighter boot for summer and early season. Lowa tells me their backpacking line is built on a wide last that would be equivalent to EE in their hiking and trekking line, FWIW.
I'm going to test: Lowa Camino wide, Crispi summit wide, Scarpa zodiac (people report very roomy toe box)

I already run the keens and altra for light duty stuff, and they are super comfy. But I personally don't enjoy them in the sheep country, or anywhere it gets really rocky or steep. Which tends to be most of my hunts these days.

Another recommendation for Zamberlan. It kind of depends too on the width of your heel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back