Boots for Elk Season

Mtolliver

Im looking for the best boots on a budget. I have narrowed it down to two, Lacrosse Windrose and Under Armour Speed Feak Bozemans. They both claim to be very water proof and comfortable, does anybody have any experience with either?

No experience with either, but boots are just about the most subjective piece of gear imaginable. What works perfectly for one person, may be not so good for another. Only way to truly know is to not only try them in store (which tells you very little) but to put 10-15 miles on them. Lots of boot threads on this site, some of which are quite informative. Just do a search for boots...

Im looking for the best boots on a budget. I have narrowed it down to two, Lacrosse Windrose and Under Armour Speed Feak Bozemans. They both claim to be very water proof and comfortable, does anybody have any experience with either?
I view boots like girlfriends. The cheaper they are to acquire, the more you pay later. But I was certainly on a budget in my younger days, so I get it. If you buy a pair, let us know how they work out.

I have to disagree. I have Keen boots that were under $200 that I would definitely put up against any other boot. Comfy, dry, warm. I couldn't find a better boot for twice the money.

There are lots of good threads, and some boots are definitely better than others... but all that said as @SnowyMountaineer always says, get what works for your feet.

Standard running shoes... every trip I do with them... even high alpine 🤷‍♂️
1586473336741.png1586473462568.png

I have to disagree. I have Keen boots that were under $200 that I would definitely put up against any other boot. Comfy, dry, warm. I couldn't find a better boot for twice the money.
And I have Keens that I wouldn't wear again if you paid me. It depends on what your feet like. I am real picky about my socks and boots and have put hundreds of miles on the current pair. But I have seen others wearing boots that should have been put down years earlier and they thought it was fine. To each his/her own.

I used an Under Armour boot for a few seasons. They worked well. Did much better with a Gaiter in order to help keep them dry but for the most part a good boot.

I now run Hanwag Alaska GTX wides. I tried crispi boots but my little toe rubbed all the time. The Hanwags were great this last season. I used them for Antelope all they way through Rifle elk in Late October.
Good luck. Boots are hard. If you buy online make sure you get it from a place that does free returns.

I don't have experience with either of those, but great boots can be found in that price range. I was gifted a pair of Rocky Bearclaw boots when I was about 16 finally retired them at 33. They must have hundreds of miles on them from upland birds to a decade of elk hunting. They served me very well. Good luck!

Boots are disposable, feet aren’t (mostly). It just costs money to get around, no way around it. I always have a second or third pair working into the rotation, usually of the same make/model that I know works for me.

What type of terrain will you be elk hunting in? Flatter, gentler stuff (more like private land), has a lot different boot requirement than steep elevation, deadfalls, and stream crossings.

Keep in mind that boots with a “waterproof liner” are more like water resistant, whereas an all-leather boot with treated seams is closer to being impenetrable.

Just a thought... But RMEF banquets always have a pair or two of kenetreks they auction off. Ive seen them go for between 2 and 3 hundred. (Got mine for 250) with banquets canceling, I heard they may auction stuff off online... May be able to get a pair for 50% off?

DON'T SKIMP ON BOOTS!!! I did last year. And my feet always hurt. Just picked up a pair of Zamberlans and the break in process had been more comfortable on my feet than wearing the crappy boots!

Don't skimp on boots. I would look for clearance deals on the venerable salomon quest 4d which frequently are on clearance for mid $100s. They are considered disposable by euro mountaineering boot standards but I'd bet they are more supportive and durable than your two choices.

I've used the speed freaks. Not waterproof and were shot by the end of a hard 10 day hunt, could feel every rock you stepped on but were super comfortable out of the box. Zamberlan's have treated me well since.

I am an old elk hunter, and I would rather have good boots and a cheap rifle than a good rifle and cheap boots. I hope you find what you seek.

Last edited:
And I have Keens that I wouldn't wear again if you paid me. It depends on what your feet like. I am real picky about my socks and boots and have put hundreds of miles on the current pair. But I have seen others wearing boots that should have been put down years earlier and they thought it was fine. To each his/her own.
Yeah, pretty much a personal thing. Nothing like a perfectly fitted pair of solid boots. My last keens lasted at least 1000 miles, I can't ask for more than that considering the hatsh terrain of the Rocky's. Had to retire them after a campfire incident at turkey camp🤦‍♂️

So a early to mid season boot if I may assume? Check Sierra trading, they have European type mountaineering boots, Asolo comes to mind along with others. they are great quality but do run a bit narrow, I have keens Because I have no arch and wide feet. Good soles and toe cap. I’m really leaning towards the Keen Summit County for next seasons late cow hunt. I was in your boat a while back, researched the daylights and tried on everything I could. Also check out mountain steals a pile of gear with a decent selection of boots. One note about keens, they are probably a heavier boot than most.

I always have a second or third pair working into the rotation, usually of the same make/model that I know works for me.
+1
No matter how waterproof your boots are it doesn’t help when they get wet from the inside. Last year I got caught in a pop up storm and had forgotten my rain pants. All the landscape was hanging heavy with water. My hunting pants got wet which soaked into my wool socks and saturated the inside of my boots. I was glad I had a second pair of boots in camp to wear while my primaries dried. It’s nice to have a spare pair.

Back